First build - looking for advice

Stephen

I'm going to be doing my first build sometime in January. I'm looking for advice on the order to assemble the parts. I've seen several lists of which parts to do in what order, with a few variations.

In general, it's as follows:

PSU

Mobo

CPU

CPU HSF

RAM

video card

floppy

Hard Drives

optical drives

testing

I have some variations where the PSU goes in after the mobo & CPU - particularly with the Antec P180 case.

I have also read some variations where people recommend testing the bios after the mobo & cpu - though it wasn't clear to me if they had installed the ram yet or not. Is it possible they didn't install the ram before testing, or did they just forget to mention that step.

I'm interested in opinions on all of the above, and any other advice anyone would like to share.

I'm going to be doing my first build sometime in January. I'm looking for advice on the order to assemble the parts. I've seen several lists of which parts to do in what order, with a few variations.

I have some variations where the PSU goes in after the mobo & CPU - particularly with the Antec P180 case.

I have also read some variations where people recommend testing the bios after the mobo & cpu - though it wasn't clear to me if they had installed the ram yet or not. Is it possible they didn't install the ram before testing, or did they just forget to mention that step.

I'm interested in opinions on all of the above, and any other advice anyone would like to share.

First off what is this box going to do? Once the box has a purpose then you can work around that purpose. Next is budget. How much loot do you have to spend. That is the *KICKER*!

Next you are talking about burning in the machine. If something is faulty on the mobo the 1st 24 hrs it will show. I do it this way when the machine is all built all parts are inserted and everything is working. I just leave the system on and then run MEMTEST86. The box sits there and tests memory the entire 24hrs. 2 things I will know when it's all done. 1. memory is either good or bad and 2. mobo is good or bad any other components failed along the way.

First off what is this box going to do? Once the box has a purpose then you can work around that purpose. Next is budget. How much loot do you have to spend. That is the *KICKER*!

Next you are talking about burning in the machine. If something is faulty on the mobo the 1st 24 hrs it will show. I do it this way when the machine is all built all parts are inserted and everything is working. I just leave the system on and then run MEMTEST86. The box sits there and tests memory the entire 24hrs. 2 things I will know when it's all done. 1. memory is either good or bad and 2. mobo is good or bad any other components failed along the way.

??? I guess I wasn't clear. I'm looking for advice on the order in which I put the components into the case.

??? I guess I wasn't clear. I'm looking for advice on the order in which I put the components into the case.

Are you looking to test as you install components? My first build was early this year and I pretty much threw everything in that sucker and fired it up. The only thing I didn't hook up was my 2nd cd drive. I'd seen examples of others doing a build and I never saw reason to test as you go or "burn" anything in. I'd read articles from both sides of the issue and decided not to. My only c**k-up was not reading the mobo manual correctly and missing how to get into the bios to set boot order and such.

@ Stephen:

That is pretty much the order that I build my systems in. Although, depending what type of CPU heatsink/fan you use, you may have to install that onto the mobo before you put your mobo into the case. For example, on my PC, I didn't use the stock AMD heatsink/fan, and since the one I used had it's own backplate, I had to put the CPU and cooler onto the motherboard before I put it into my case.

And as far as your drives go, the order doesn't really make a difference (unless the drive installation order affects how you route your wires). I personally don't test the BIOS right away, just because I assume it will work. I suppose I could test every component before actually beginning the build, but it is so time consuming. I prefer to just build the computer, power it up, and then troubleshoot (if any troubleshooting is even necessary, which usually it is not).

One suggestion I will offer when it comes to wiring: twisty-ties. Lots and lots of twisty-ties. I use twisty-ties as opposed to zip-ties or rubber bands, etc. for a few reasons:

1. They are readily available in large quantities for little or no money; when you buy a box of trash bags, usually they include tons of them.

2. They aren't permanent. They can be used, undone, and then reused. With zip-ties, you use them once, and if you want to get them off later to change your wiring, you have to cut them, thus rendering them unusable.

3. If they are too long, you don't have to cut them; just keeping twisting them around the cables until there is no extra.

So yeah... twist-ties FTW. And that's pretty much all I know. :D

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!