Adding extra memory

Robbie

Hi

My computer is running with only 256MB RAM, of which 92MB is shared graphics. As you can guess, it's a bit sluggish. I'd like to add some extra RAM. I'm hearing different advice though - the max I can have is 1GB, but I was gonna add 512MB. I know that if I added RAM, that it has to go to the primary slot and the 256MB would move to the secondary (I on;y have 2 memory slots) - but someone said that both RAM's should be the same size? Is this true? Should I just buy another 256MB or could I get 512MB and place that in the primary slot and move my current 256MB to the secondary? Would this cause problems?

Any advice would be welcome, thanks.

• Moderators

You could add another 512MB RAM easily. Also, I doubt you would even have to move around the RAM. Just try putting the 512MB in the secondary slot, if PC doesn't boot up then move around the RAM. It's real easy to do and you shouldn't have any problems adding a 512 stick.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Piriform Forum Moderator

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key

i did exactly the same thing. my comp only holds a gig of ram and it came with 256. i went and brought my specs to the computer store, and got a 512 and it was as easy and clicking it into the slot and restarting computer.

one of the easier installs i think. :)

I added 512 to the 256 that came with my HP and it never missed a beat. Just drop in the open slot and reboot. Go to Crucial and use their memory advisor to find the compatible memory for your computer. If you are running XP, it's probably eating over 200Mb all by itself. Also, adding a graphics card will make a BIG difference.

http://www.crucial.com/index.asp

thanks for the answers! I made a slight error, my shared graphics is 64MB, not 92MB, the exclusive amount of RAM available to my computer is 192MB (256-64).

I have had someone previously suggest getting a graphics card, rather than using the shared graphics set-up. But I don't use the computer for gaming, mainly just emails, newsgroups and the internet, plus some use of spreadsheets etc. I'm really looking for extra memory just to speed up the running of the computer as sometimes I have a few applications running at the same time.

Thanks for the suggestion about crucial.com, it actually answered my query about whether I could mix a 512 stick with a 256 one! All I had to do was input details about the motherboard and it did the rest, including providing a "questions and answer" feature which basically answered what I needed to know.

I have had someone previously suggest getting a graphics card, rather than using the shared graphics set-up. But I don't use the computer for gaming, mainly just emails, newsgroups and the internet, plus some use of spreadsheets etc. I'm really looking for extra memory just to speed up the running of the computer as sometimes I have a few applications running at the same time.
Well in my case of my fiance she has 1 gb but she has onboard video so her main memory drops to 880. So when I drop in a new AGP 8x card in there it will release the memory back. Plus it will improve system performance.