Adobe Reader 8.0

pwillener

Adobe Reader SpeedUp 1.36 don't delete files; it move some files for another folder with the purpose to allow Adobe pluggins'features turn out disabled. And later, if the user want, to enable again.

How "Adobe Reader SpeedUp" info said:

"ARSU stores unused plugins in the Optional folder of Acrobat/Reader. This means that when a PDF is viewed and Acrobat/Reader requires a plugin for full functionality, it'll be loaded automatically for that particular PDF only".

Firstly, here's a full download, rather then a download through adobe manager:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Adobe_Reader_d3852.html

~~~

Takes forever to install, its not faster for me..still a load of junk, and I still don't see the need of having it, waste 100MB to view a pdf file..yeah right...

• 5 months later...

Adobe Reader 8.1.0 is now available for download from

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

New features in Adobe Reader 8.1

New operating system support:
  • Windows Vista 32-bit edition

• Windows Vista 64-bit edition

New features:
  • Improved forms performance.

• Acrobat 8 3D support: Precise CAD data (PRC), Product Manufacturing Information (PMI).

• Integrated FedEx Kinko's Print Online: Send any PDF directly to FedEx Kinko's Print Online for printing.

• Moderators

Adobe 7 came installed on my PC, and I've been using it and nothing else to view PDF files. I've always liked the look of it, and I've never considered it slow.

Takes up 61mb on the hard drive, and with a 90 page tutorial runs at a comfortable 28mb. I've got an 80gb HD, and 512mb memory, so it's just a drop in the ocean compared to what's available.

I've tried Foxit, and don't think it comes close to the look and functionality of Adobe 7. (MHO).

Read somewhere, possibly on here, that if you have memory or disk space that you never use, what's the point of having it? And if you want to talk about bloated programs, give me your honest comments on the following. I'm sure I'm not the only person here with ridiculous, useless programmes installed.

Arcsoft Video Impression 2. (came with webcam.) 137mb. Never used it.

Java 6. 134mb. Use Java Script. Java disabled. Had to enable it once recently.

This is the prizewinner:- Microsoft Works. 278mb. Never used it.

Sonic MyDVD Plus etc. 185mb. Burn the occasional CD. Use it because it can overburn and enabled me to get Pink Floyds "The Wall" on one CD.

Crazy or what. But I've still got 60gb of my HD free.

My point at the end of all this meandering, is that the comments I read about memory and disk space do make some sense. I think you can get caught up in looking for smaller and smaller programmes when you don't really need to, and you could bin some pretty good stuff in the process.

That's my two penneth anyway, and of course only MHO. :)