Did Ccleaner kill MS critical updates?

hbm55

I installed Ccleaner on two WXP SP2 computers. This was in October (v1.33.382) and have used the default installation settings to run and clean the machines - internet (ie6) all but autocomplete forms; WExplore: all; System: all. Everything runs great and fast!!!

However, my windows automatic updates failed to work about the same time for both computers - last being Sept. 25 - and manual updating fails. The first messages were: ?Error Code: 0x80004005 (can't update windows)?. Now: [Error number: 0x80072EFD] is the error message. The MS knowledge base and forums is pretty non-helpful, and I'm currently wading through the MS support process.

There is no info for "windows updates" search on this Ccleaner forums. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would like to restore critcal updates AND keep Ccleaner.

Thanks,

Bruce

Not sure if CCleaner caused it but to attempt to fix it download Dial-a-Fix from here:

http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix#Download_Dial-a-fix

After downloading it, double click the it to open it, tick the 'Fix Windows Update' box and click 'Go' :)

Thanks for the lead, JD. I tried "DAF" (Dial-a-Fix) with no success. Did the default "Fix" option. The same error was returned after running DAF and then trying to use Windows Update. I even turned off auto updates to see if manual update would work. This is a stubborn glitch.

I am pretty convinced that CCleaner was involved. If I recall, the older machine had about 200Mb of "clutter" removed the first time I ran the program.

I'll try Andavari's suggestion, also - second reply.

Bruce