help? - java's not just coffee anymore

sonsie

I know so little about this that I don't even know how to formulate the question.

I go to a site and try to download some little game.

I get a popup saying something about java - I guess I don't have it.

Went to microsoft to see if I could get it.

no, they don't make it anymore.

I can get it at java.com and it's made by Sun

Didn't Sun have kind of a rep for making stuff with lots of spyware 2-3 years ago? I remember browsing forums and seeing that name a lot in conjunction with problems.

It looks like I'm stuck with Sun - but I don't know what I'm supposed to get

help please?

sonsie

• Moderators

This is the latest version ( however I have heard update 10 will be about in awhile)

http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

windows offline installation is the one I use. Problems can arise when people have outdated versions which can be used by nasties to install malware, that may have been what you read about.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Didn't Sun have kind of a rep for making stuff with lots of spyware 2-3 years ago? I remember browsing forums and seeing that name a lot in conjunction with problems.

According to Sun's documentation they don't pack it with any spyware, and it's a true statement because scanning with multiple anti-spyware applications doesn't turn up anything therefore Sun's Java Runtime Environment is safe to use.

Hazelnut, thank you so much! I'm way over my head with this - all I know is that I need it to play a game. LOL

Problems can arise when people have outdated versions which can be used by nasties to install malware, that may have been what you read about.

That makes sense - I vaguely remember hearing or reading to be careful of java, but that was a number of years ago.

Andavari,

multiple anti-spyware applications doesn't turn up anything therefore Sun's Java Runtime Environment is safe to use.

Thank you for this. I've been putting this off for several months, partly because I didn't know if Sun could be trusted.

I'll keep my fingers crossed and give the download a try.

sonsie

• Moderators

Thank you for this. I've been putting this off for several months, partly because I didn't know if Sun could be trusted.

Ya could've always asked by making a thread on the forums instead of waiting for so long. Just remember to keep the Sun Java Runtime Environment updated, also there's an alternate download site for it located at http://www.filehippo.com/download_java_runtime/