New to CCleaner

keystagegolf

Hi, I have just downloaded CCleaner and uninstalled MRU Blaster. (which didn't work more than 50% of the time).

Question does CCleaner overwrite the temporary Internet files x10 to make them irrecoverable?? OR does it only remove them in the same way that Windows does through Internet Options/Browsing History.

Appreciate any advice. :mellow:

Keystagegolf

I'm not sure if Temp Internet Files are wiped up to the 7 pass option maximum. CCleaner marks that folder for deletion at startup, but whether it then wipes the file and its contents more than once I'm not sure. I'm not even sure if it wipes them at all, instead it might just simply delete them, meaning they will be residing in free space and therefore recoverable.

I'm not sure if Temp Internet Files are wiped up to the 7 pass option maximum. CCleaner marks that folder for deletion at startup, but whether it then wipes the file and its contents more than once I'm not sure. I'm not even sure if it wipes them at all, instead it might just simply delete them, meaning they will be residing in free space and therefore recoverable.

It's index.dat files that are marked for deletion on startup, temp internet files are deleted outright - and if secure file deletion is enabled, they should be overwritten.

@ keystagegolf - CCleaner doesn't clean for anyone but the current user. Don't think you need admin privileges, but I could be wrong.

I've never tried CCLeaner from an account without admin rights but the FAQ page states:

"Do I need to be an administrator to run this? - Ideally yes. Although you can still run this as a normal or restricted user, however, some files may not be deleted."

It's index.dat files that are marked for deletion on startup, temp internet files are deleted outright - and if secure file deletion is enabled, they should be overwritten.

@ keystagegolf - CCleaner doesn't clean for anyone but the current user. Don't think you need admin privileges, but I could be wrong.

I'm a bit confused about this then - I thought the heart of the Temporary Internet Files (TIF) system was the index.dat file. That can only be deleted when unlocked by Windows and regardless of whether you wipe the rest of the TIF's contents, if you don't wipe the index.dat file the contents of the TIF's are just recreated, whether securely overwritten or otherwise. And the index.dat file is only deleted at startup, not securely wiped.

I must admit I am unsure about this, I've read conflicting views.

The Temporary Internet Files (TIF) system is used to cache HTML, graphics and cookies saved when viewing a Web page and the index.dat file for the TIF.

The index.dat file is held open by Windows for fast access but because its open then it can't be deleted.

If you set CCleaner to delete the index.dat file then it is deleted as Windows boots up and a fresh copy is created by Windows.

This is also how Index.dat Suite works but Index.dat Suite has more features:

* View and delete index.dat files

* View and delete Temporary Internet Files (TIF)

* View and delete Cookies

* View and delete History

* View and delete Temp files

* View and delete Recent Documents

* Delete Typed URL's

* Delete Prefetch folder contents

* Auto-generation of batch file to assist in deleting the index.dat files in DOS.

* Optional add to RunOnce registry key

* Optional deletion of swap file (9x users only)

* Optional defrag after file deletion

* Full application logging

http://support.it-mate.co.uk/?mode=Product...=index.datsuite

The truth about the index.dat files: What, why and where?

by Steven Burn

http://mysteryfcm.co.uk/?mode=Articles&date=01-11-2005

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

good article.

i learned a bit

Steven produces a lot of free applications and provides excellent support for his applications as well.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

It's my understanding that the final release of IE7 (or it might be a Windows Update) added extra security to prevent modifications to the index.dat file. This info came from the The Cache Sentry Pro owner. I've been using Cache Sentry for years with good results in managing temp internet files and index.dat.

Anyone know if this is so?

Does the Index.dat Suite have any problems deleting the index.dat file in IE7???