Cleaning Google Toolbar Search History in Firefox

roxie

Does anyone know how to set up CCleaner so it will clean the seach history in the Google Toolbar for Firefox?

It currently cleans the Google Search history for the Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer but apparently the search history for the Firefox version of the Google Toolbar is not located in the same place.

CCleaner cleans the Firefox cache and history but not the Google Toolbar dropdown search list.

Any help would be appreciated. :unsure:

Does anyone know how to set up CCleaner so it will clean the seach history in the Google Toolbar for Firefox?

It currently cleans the Google Search history for the Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer but apparently the search history for the Firefox version of the Google Toolbar is not located in the same place.

CCleaner cleans the Firefox cache and history but not the Google Toolbar dropdown search list.

Any help would be appreciated. :unsure:

I can't answer your specific question (sorry, someone else will I'm sure) but if you go into the toolbars options and untick "Save the search history across browser sessions", the history will be removed when you close Firefox.

I can't answer your specific question (sorry, someone else will I'm sure) but if you go into the toolbars options and untick "Save the search history across browser sessions", the history will be removed when you close Firefox.

JD: Thanks - that works but I don't want to clear the history during workings sessions (where the browser may be closed in the course of the day) but just when I have CClean scheduled to run.

I know that CCLeaner lists "Google Toolbar" in the Cleaner Settings under Applications/Internet but that apparently is for the Internet Explorer version of the Toolbar and not the Firefox version.

I just can't find what folder or key the Firefox Google Toolbar keeps it's history. Got to be somewhere that I can put it in the winapps2.ini

Thanks

JD: Thanks - that works but I don't want to clear the history during workings sessions (where the browser may be closed in the course of the day)

Oh right, I can see how that could be useful. I've just turned on 'Save search history...' just to see if CCleaner cleans the toolbars history here and it doesn't clean it here either. BUT I don't have the Google toolbar listed under applications so I assume that the toolbar entry is only for the IE version at present. Let us know if you manage to make a winapp2 entry for it though I suspect the fact that its not already in CCleaner means its a bit tricky, unless its just an oversight.

Oh right, I can see how that could be useful. I've just turned on 'Save search history...' just to see if CCleaner cleans the toolbars history here and it doesn't clean it here either. BUT I don't have the Google toolbar listed under applications so I assume that the toolbar entry is only for the IE version at present. Let us know if you manage to make a winapp2 entry for it though I suspect the fact that its not already in CCleaner means its a bit tricky, unless its just an oversight.

Well, I found where Firefox keeps the Google Toolbar History - its in a "pref.js" file, which I belive is a Java Script. The line looks like this: user_pref("google.toolbar.search_box_history", "firefox preferences\

and continues with a string of history items.

Does anyone know how to build an entry in winapps2 to delete a line within a file, like the pref.js.

IF I delete the entire file, all the user preferences are gone - I just want to delete one line within the file.

I'm not that familiar with winapps2 but so far all I see are ways to delete the entire file.