Router

Same here, I've had a few that were DOA. You are gonna get that sometimes with any piece of hardware. BTW, where have you been hiding? Haven't seen you around much lately?

Moderator-sponsored vacation. :)

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

Ok, things are going even better now! I no longer have to "click" onto an icon and type a number and password in to access the internet-my computer simply hitches up to it when turned on-just like cable. :)

as well, everything is running smooth. i disabled the wireless part for now, as i dont need it yet.

man what a frustrating time with that first dud that i got! everything is good now. :)

man what a frustrating time with that first dud that i got! everything is good now. :)
HA! Try reprogramming those things all day long. I used to TFTP custom firmwares to them. The older versions where more stable. Since they moved to faster chips they get hot way too quick and force them to become unstable. If I do get one, I will cut a hole on the top of it and solder in a 80mm fan to it. There are mods out there show you how to do it.

• 2 months later...

OK, I am reviving this thread rather than creating a new one.

So I got my new laptop and want to set it up to work wireless with my router.

Any idea where or how I start? It's been awhile since I got the router working good here, and I forget what all I did.

I only need to allow for one wireless network computer-i have the router wired for the four wired ports to different locations in my home.

As well, I will be attempting (but not now) to set up my printer (s) to work wireless.

Any help would be appreciated!

This is my computer specs if it helps:

Processor Type Intel Centrino Core 2 Duo T7200

Screen Size 17"

RAM (Preloaded / Maximum) 2GB (Exp. To 4GB)

Hard Drive 200GB SATA 5400RPM

Optical Drives Super Multi Double Layer DVD+/-

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 256MB DDR

Average Battery Life 4 Hours

Product Weight 3.2 kg

Audio Type Harman Kardon Stereo

Battery Type Lithium-Ion

Cache 3 2KB/32KB L1, 4MB L2

Fax/Modem 56K V.92

I/O Ports See The Features Section

Included In Box AC Adapter,Power Cord,Manual,Restore CD

Network Card See The Features Section

Other Software See The Features Section

PC Card Slots 1 Type II, 1 Express Card

Pointing Device Dual Mode Pad

Preloaded Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium

Processor Speed 2.0GHz

Product Dimensions 27.50(W) x 4.19(H) x 39.40(D) cm

Removable Storage No

Screen Type TFT

Speakers Built-In Stereo Speakers

System Bus 533MHz

* This model comes equipped with the all-new next generation Windows Vista Home Premium Edition operating system.

* Interfaces: 1 x 5-in-1 Bridge Media Adaptor, 4 x USB 2.0, 1 x RJ11, 1 x RJ45, 1 x IEEE 1394, 1 x External Microphone Port, 1 x Headphone Port, 1 x RGB, 1 x S-Video Out, 1 x DVI, 1 x S/P DIF

I was thinking of getting a new router a year ago and looked into the one mentioned in this thread. If I remember correctly, it's a NAT router. Does it have a built in firewall?

Does anyone know why many of the techie forums around the net recommend the Linksys BEFSR41?

Perhaps because it's wired, but can't you use the Linksys WRT54G as a wired router as well as a wireless?

Isn't there also WRT54Gs?

• Moderators

Alright, lets take this one step at a time. :)

First off to get your router working, your going to have to log onto the control center of your router and enable wireless if you haven't already.

But make sure you enable WPA security and that you have changed the admin password on the router.(the linksys has great instructions next to all of the entries) The WPA will keep others from using your internet and all you will have to do is enter the password one time on your laptop for it to remember. Also make sure you change the ssid name of the router. That way when your laptop looks for a connection you will know which router is yours and not your neighbors. :P (I have like 3 neighbors around me that all show up as linksys. They are all open too, so they don't know whos router they are using)

Look at this thread here about the printer:

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showto...&hl=printer

It should work about the same way with vista, but I can't promise anything since I haven't tried it.

• Moderators
I was thinking of getting a new router a year ago and looked into the one mentioned in this thread. If I remember correctly, it's a NAT router. Does it have a built in firewall?

Does anyone know why many of the techie forums around the net recommend the Linksys BEFSR41?

Perhaps because it's wired, but can't you use the Linksys WRT54G as a wired router as well as a wireless?

Isn't there also WRT54Gs?

Yes it has a built in firewall.(99% of all of the ones in stores now a days do)

I don't know anything about that router you posted but yes the wrt54g does have 4 wired connection ports on the back and supports b/g wireless connections. I would say the wrt54g is probably the most commen home router because its easy to set up and they are pretty cheap.

Alright, lets take this one step at a time. :)

First off to get your router working, your going to have to log onto the control center of your router and enable wireless if you haven't already.

But make sure you enable WPA security and that you have changed the admin password on the router.(the linksys has great instructions next to all of the entries) The WPA will keep others from using your internet and all you will have to do is enter the password one time on your laptop for it to remember. Also make sure you change the ssid name of the router. That way when your laptop looks for a connection you will know which router is yours and not your neighbors. :P (I have like 3 neighbors around me that all show up as linksys. They are all open too, so they don't know whos router they are using)

Look at this thread here about the printer:

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showto...&hl=printer

It should work about the same way with vista, but I can't promise anything since I haven't tried it.

ok, this is all done. Now currently I have it set up for "mixed" (b and g), and enabled for wireless. The ssid name of the router is changed and I am using the WPA security.

Alrighty. Whats next?

On my laptop it says i need to turn on network discovery, but it doesnt seem to want to let me. hmmm.