Opera?

Woody

I'm a great lover of Firefox, but I'm thinking of giving Opera a go. Are there any Opera fans here willing to put forward an argument why I should change?

It is never difficult to distinguish between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine. P. G. Wodehouse

• Moderators

Not an opera fan but I have it installed. :P

Opera 9 isn't a bad program but the thing you will notice coming to it from firefox is the lack of extensions. Thats pretty much the big difference, that and most recently firefox's spellchecker.(I will never use another browser until it has it. :P)

Opera has most of the essential things built in and it does use less ram then FF. As far as page rendering goes FF2 is faster for me but Opera is speedy. If you move to opera you are going to see ads but that can be fixed with a host file.(opera has content blocking but it works differently and its not that good)

Opera has a built in email client but unlike the old mozilla suite its not really a separate program, it just opens in a tab. Overall its not bad but if you use outlook or thunderbird I guarantee you won't be impressed with it.

Security wise lots of people say opera is better. I don't really think one is better then the other. They are both alright and wont allow any fly by installs like IE.

Give it a shot you might like it. If Firefox wasn't around opera is what I would be using.

i've been using Opera for quite some time and by the look of things, i'm not going to go back to Firefox. simply put, Opera has all the essential things which i require such as built-in mail client, e-mail style feeds(VERY useful), very nice interface(Windows Native), and a lot of other features.

also, i don't know if this website will help you, but if you use a lot of Firefox extensions, then you might wanna check this.

http://files.myopera.com/Rijk/blog/extensions.html

Thanks for that information Rridgely, From what you say I think I'm better off staying with Firefox. I think I would find the lack of extensions a big problem. I like the new spellchecker in FF2, but the one between my ears isn't all that bad. :P

It is never difficult to distinguish between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine. P. G. Wodehouse

i've been using Opera for quite some time and by the look of things, i'm not going to go back to Firefox. simply put, Opera has all the essential things which i require such as built-in mail client, e-mail style feeds(VERY useful), very nice interface(Windows Native), and a lot of other features.

also, i don't know if this website will help you, but if you use a lot of Firefox extensions, then you might wanna check this.

Thanks for this information John.

• Moderators

just on a side note, Opera also has a spellchecker. but it requires Aspell with the required dictionaries installed. as for lack of extensions, a lot of the functionality that some firefox extensions provide are built inside Opera which makes it faster than Firefox ;).

Its not inline like firefox's though.(or it wasn't last time I tried it.)

The extensions its missing are the big ones. Also a lot of the ones they say opera has (like adblock) aren't nearly as good as the firefox extensions they are comparing them too. It comes to personal opinion but extensions is what makes FF the best to me.

I suppose this is a major difference. I never see ads anymore and I take it so much for granted . If I did I'd be horrified. I couldn't do without my extensions which is why I like FF so much.

meh. i also block ads by using a filterlist which Tarun posted a long time ago. right now, i can't see the Google ads on the top of the page. as for its blocking ability, it's pretty damng dood IMO. dunno how it compares to Adblock or Adblock Plus, but it works like a charm.

Its not inline like firefox's though.(or it wasn't last time I tried it.)

The extensions its missing are the big ones.

yeah you're right. i wish they had made it like that. Although, i believe that Konqueror had inline spell-checking before Firefox did :P

as for the extensions, which ones?

• Moderators

Thanks for the list John. I have IE7 ( no problems with it at all) but have now used opera 99.9% of the time for the last couple of weeks. I like the style and speed and am not really bothered about zillions of extentions as I mostly use the same half dozen anyway.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

I tried the filter.ini method for opera. It made it considerably slower when loading pages.(or it did for me) Plus adblock is just so much easier and with filter set g(if it survives) its golden.

As for extensions I use that opera doesn't have.

Foxy Tunes

Site Advisor

PDF download

Sage(the opera one isn't as good)

Tab Mix Plus

Faster Fox(I have the features to speed up disabled. I like the page load timer)

Tiny Menu

Video Downloader

Media Player Connectivity

Colorful Tabs(not essential but I like it. :) )

Page Update Checker(awesome for working on multiple forums)

Dr Web Link Checker

hmmmm, i think that Firefox loads a bit slowly for you :P.

as for plugins, i see no use for PDF Downloader, Tab Mix Plus(eh, it has a few good features), FasterFox, Video Downloader,

Media Player Connectivity, Page Update Checker, and Dr Web Link Checker.

PDF Downloader is kinda pointless since you can just open the file with Foxit. Fasterfox just provides a nice GUI for some sections of about:config and that's about it, i believe. Video Downloader...just dl the video. Media Player Connectivity is one that i'm not sure what it does. Page Update Checker...just use View New Posts.

as for Dr. Web, it's nice but if i recall correctly, Firefox already has a phishing filter in it and with adblock as well, i don't see any point for it.

but let's get back on topic here. i don't want to have a big argument about Extensions and whatnot. Opera is a great browser. it doesn't have everything, but for me and a lot of other people, it has all one needs.

• Moderators

No it doesn't load slowly but it uses a good amount of ram.(about 60mb right now). I don't care because the browser to me is the most used application and I want it exactly the way I choose. :D

Video Download lets me grab cool stuff off of youtube, google video ect.

Media player connectivity lets me have steams open up in the actual media player and not in the browser. And the update checker automatically refreshes tabs for me while I'm looking at another site.(very useful)

----------

Back to opera. :P

I've tried the latest beta and its ok. It just needs a spell checker and a few other things. :D

rridgely,

Correct me if I'm wrong here but I have used the lastest Beta ver. myself and every other ver. Opera seems to load about every single Image or data file within a page and it doesn't let me scroll down within the page UNTIL the page is about 98% done. Have you had this happen or... HAS IT been happening to you?

Plus yes... Spell check would be nice. They should also consider an option into ~Load missing Images~ :)

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

Load missing images makes no sense. if the image doesn't exist, then there is no way to load it.

as for spell check, Opera already has it...

I was meaning in the terms of if the connection gets losts then there should be a option to reload the images. Maxthon has a plug-in named *Force Pictures* and that reloads iamges that didn't load correctly.

Opera does have a spell check but it's not built-in. Get it straight.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8