Windows firewall can be disabled

Humpty

• Moderators

I plugged in my logitech webcam yesterday to talk to my grandaughter and windows firewall promptly send a warning that it had been turned off!!

Run Windows Firewall and input the Logitech application .exe file as an exception (you'll also have to untick "Don't allow exceptions"). That's the only way to allow it to work if the firewall is actively going to block it.

More info.

Quote:

Word is out about an attack that could let ill-intended people disable the firewall on Windows XP computers. This could be a big deal, but in this case it appears that it's not.

The attack, for which exploit code is available, only works under very specific circumstances that aren't likely to be common.

First, the PC has to be running Windows' Internet Connection Service, which lets people share their Net connection. This service is not enabled by default and has been largely outdated by the many cheap routers now available on the market.

Second, the attacker would have to be on the local network of the target computer to make the attack work. It could not be launched from the Internet.

Article