help

• Moderators

You should have a batch file right? Just click it and it will put it in the needed location. :)

Then download this:

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/DnsManual.bat

Click it and it will set the dns service to manual so it wont slow your computer down.

Thats it. Now you shouldn't see ads in any browser(well probably not a big deal for firefox) but now you wont see them in IE or opera. It also will prevent numerous other things.

Oh yeah, almost forgot. Navigate to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC and right click the host file and choose properties. Then check read only and then ok.

ok, nothing to click on the link.

but i clicked on the batch file in the folder that extracted from the Hosts rar.

weird. now when i hit start, my menu is all black, but when i scroll over it i can see everything. hmmmm

• Moderators

You have to right click>save as to get that file to download. :D(sorry should have mentioned that.

Is your start menu still messed up? Try changing to another theme or disabling any theme software you have running. Then turn it back on.

• Moderators

Right Click your desktop>properties>themes> Choose something opposite of what you have now.(if you have windows xp selected try windows classic.) Its just to refresh and see if you can see your start menu. If it works change it back to whatever you were using.

No, he meant change the theme itself.

When you see the box below, click the themes tab, then click the downwards pointing arrow next to your selected theme, choose another theme, see if you can see your start menu, then if you can see it, change it back to your normal theme and hopefully all will be good.

themehp3.png

no im not using anything like that. and i tried compacting the registry, ccleaner, defraged, spyware/virus cleaning and rebooted three times.

none of that worked, but now its ok.......hmmmmm

What the hell? I don't see how the host file could cause this. Hmm...

Can you post a screenshot of your start menu?

i tried to, but every time i started to get a shot, the start menu closes on me.......

but its all working now so what the heck! lol! sometimes just ignore a problem and it goes away.........

if only that were true. :)