Windows? Defender final

pwillener

Download (Windows Server 2003 SP1, Windows XP SP2): http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...a4-f7f14e605a0d

x64 version: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...a5-74f236e9283b

Release Notes: http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/s...leasenotes.mspx

Downloads are available in English, German, Japanese.

• Moderators

I hope this version of it actually fixes issues like too many system restore points being created, and worst the uninstaller of Beta 2 didn't uninstall one bit of it when I removed it yesterday.

I'll try out this "final" version, and I surely hope it doesn't annoy me like Beta 2.

• Moderators

I just hope they can keep it useful.

Lately defender wasn't removing any of the more rampant spyware of the time. It did great as long as the infections were from 2004. :P

I installed this version and the only real change is that its now uglier then before(dark greenish color?) and they moved update from the about menu.(you still have to click the arrow by the question mark though)

Windows 2000 users need not apply:

Wow this sucks...I have a Win 2K Pro system, plus and XP home system. Dang---well, I'm gonna eventually wipe the HDD once I get a new system and try to make the 2K system into a Linux machine.

AJ

• Moderators

they moved update from the about menu.(you still have to click the arrow by the question mark though)

I don't like the new look of it either! ;)

Looks more like Windows Christmas Defender with the color shades it has! :lol:

Ha, I tested the program awhile back and somewhat wasn't safe here. I can't trust Microsoft in the spyware program development. They should just stick to OS.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

I loved the program when it was still called antispyware. It was like getting a commercial program for free and it did a fantastic job, but like all the program MS buys and offers for free, they rip out its spine.

I'd have to agree with you. I too loved it when it was still known is MS Anti-Spyware but when things changed it became crap to me. Didn't feel tha same ya know?
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

• Moderators

Didn't feel tha same ya know?

I have to agree with it being downgraded from a great app when it was essentially Giant AntiSpyware, however the way it is now I don't know why they ever bothered with Giant if they were going to change so much and gut it virtually clean.

Here's a screenshot of it:

windef11f.png.xs.jpg

I have to agree with it being downgraded from a great app when it was essentially Giant AntiSpyware, however the way it is now I don't know why they ever bothered with Giant if they were going to change so much and gut it virtually clean.

Agreed. I only kept it for about a week after it changed to Defender, but used to use MS anti-spyware regularly <_<

Agreed. I only kept it for about a week after it changed to Defender, but used to use MS anti-spyware regularly <_<

Most of the post I have read in other forums say it doesnt find many of the new adware/spyware traces. Several posters related that AdAware SE found many traces in a side by side scan when Defender said the PC was clean. I personally have tried the new release took over 2 Hrs. to run a full system scan where Super AntiSpyware only took 20 Min. I deleted it this morning not of any use to me at all.

Doesn't Microsft realize they should just stick with the OS's and leave the Spyware and virus programs to the leading companys such as AVG, Avast, SUPERAnti-Spyware, Lavasoft, Spyware Terminator, Arovax , Etc.

Microsoft did good but now with the Spyware and virus program development, They're making a wrong turn.

• Moderators

Doesn't Microsft realize they should just stick with the OS's and leave the Spyware and virus programs to the leading companys such as AVG, Avast, SUPERAnti-Spyware, Lavasoft, Spyware Terminator, Arovax , Etc.

Microsoft did good but now with the Spyware and virus program development, They're making a wrong turn.

Not necessarily, they acquired RAV antivirus technology a few years back and did nothing with it that could be seen publically, yet I have no ideal if their protection suite is based upon it or not.

They aren't just OS makers they are a software and hardware firm. Personally I'd never use another brand keyboard or mouse, that's how good I think those two hardware items of theirs is.

Not necessarily, they acquired RAV antivirus technology a few years back and did nothing with it that could be seen publically, yet I have no ideal if their protection suite is based upon it or not.

They aren't just OS makers they are a software and hardware firm. Personally I'd never use another brand keyboard or mouse, that's how good I think those two hardware items of theirs is.

I pretty much knew all of that but I was just saying they're not doing too good in developing good programs though.

• Moderators

I pretty much knew all of that but I was just saying they're not doing too good in developing good programs though.

So say we all! :P

They're however mostly judged on Windows though and it's never ending security issues. ;)

They do have the benefit though of having all these new anti-virus, anti-spyware applications since they can easily integrate them into Vista (something which I'll never use), which could give them an upper hand since they after all make the OS and understand it better than anyone else.

However my thinking is as much as Windows costs it should come with a free full featured MS created anti-virus and not just Windows Defender as it will be included with Vista. And why not it's far it could stop many malware faster versus mass propagation because too often people get 30-90 day trialware av's which many people let run out and never purchase, especially new computer users until they're educated on the fact.