IE 7 Fails Its First Security Test

Humpty

Quote:

It seems that Microsoft's brand-new Internet Explorer 7 browser, which was just released Oct. 18 for Windows XP, has already failed a security test.

An advisory from Secunia, released Oct. 19, says the gold version of IE 7 was shipped with an information disclosure flaw that could be used in spoofing attacks.

The vulnerability is caused by an error in the handling of redirections for URLs with the "mhtml:" URI handler. "This can be exploited to access documents served from another web site," Secunia warned.

Article

Bah... IE7 was a mistake and Microsoft has just gone down hill in developing eversince after the year of 2000. They can't do anything right anymore. I tested IE7 and it's awful! The tabs and what not. The Interface is somewhat good but the rest... NO!

IE7 doesn't even support Ad-blocking. Just stick to Opera, Maxthon, and FireFox :)

I even had a CPU Issue (While browsing through the web I noticed one svchost.exe was using 100%) Used it up like crap. A resource hog in my book. Stay with IE6 till further Improvement is made (My Opinion).

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

• Moderators

Other then the fact that its ugly I don't have any problems with IE7. I have been using it to browse a little since it was released and its ok.

At first I hated opening the sidebar for my bookmarks but I sorta like it now since it disappears after I click one.

What I want is a IE shell that just uses IE7's default features and just makes a new interface for it.

------

Opera's built in adblock is piss poor and actually slows the browser down to a crawl(at least thats my experience.) I did the thing with making a filter.ini and it was almost unusable. My suggestion is just use the host file here and block ads in all browsers:

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

IE based browsers don't really need adblocking even without a host file because IE spyad will block all the ads anyway. :) (not needed with host file)

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/uiuc/resource.htm

• Moderators

Other then the fact that its ugly I don't have any problems with IE7. I have been using it to browse a little since it was released and its ok.

I don't like the extra time it takes to load versus IE6, however for the included security updates I suppose that's worth it.

The only problem I'm having is it displays the wrong icon for .html documents, it's using the IE7 main program icon which is wrong and all the registry changing I've attempted has failed as it seems to have locked the wrong icon, and when setting Firefox as the default browser the icon for .html documents is completely lost.

• Moderators

The only problem I'm having is it displays the wrong icon for .html documents, it's using the IE7 main program icon which is wrong and all the registry changing I've attempted has failed as it seems to have locked the wrong icon, and when setting Firefox as the default browser the icon for .html documents is completely lost.

All you have to do is go to my documents>tools>folder options> file types tab.

Scroll down to html and highlight it, then click advanced. Then press change icon and select the one you want. :)

• Moderators

All you have to do is go to my documents>tools>folder options> file types tab.

Scroll down to html and highlight it, then click advanced. Then press change icon and select the one you want. :)

That was the first thing I tried before resorting to "brute force" and editing the registry key for the icon and nothing worked.