Firefox 2.0 Released

TwistedMetal

Funny how Filehippo can provide it before Mozilla. ;)

Quote:

Final Version of Mozilla Firefox 2 Will Be Released Oct. 24

Not to be outdone by Microsoft's recent release of Internet Explorer 7, Mozilla will release the second major version of its rival Firefox browser on Tuesday, October 24.

According to Mozilla Vice President of Products Christopher Beard, Firefox 2.0, which should be available on Tuesday if all goes according to schedule, includes key new usability features missing in the new IE 7.

Article

• Moderators

Well it has in line spellchecking like a word processor. It has a unified interface for extension/themes and its a little faster rendering pages. Thats about all I notice.

As for extensions a lot have already been update. I'm currently using:

Adblock(not plus since it messes up formatting on some pages)

Filterset g updater

cute menus

Tab mix plus

site adviser

The only thing I was using that didn't transfer over was colorful tabs. :(

Which is far from essential. :D

I LOVE colourful tabs. :(

It is never difficult to distinguish between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine. P. G. Wodehouse

Is there any merit in uninstalling the old version before installing FF2 or does it install over the old version without a problem?

What happens if you install FF2 and have incompatible extensions? And is there any way to check what extensions ar compatible before installing?

• Moderators

I uninstalled the old version. It probably wouldn't hurt not too but I recommend it just in case(don't want to corrupt your profile). If you install a the new one with extension that wont work it tells you before you even boot it up the first time. It then disables or uninstalls the(but it will check for updates first).

• Moderators

I uninstalled the old version. It probably wouldn't hurt not too but I recommend it just in case(don't want to corrupt your profile).

That's what I did as well as I was a little leary of installing over the top of 1.5.0.7.

I first removed all plugins, then cleaned the prefs.js file from any leftovers that the plugins left behind. The only thing though it didn't recognize my old profile which was easy enough to fix by copying over my cleaned up prefs.js and bookmarks.

Even though I did a clean install the first time I ran 2.0 it crashed when configuring settings in Tool->Options, but hasn't did so since then.

Just upgraded to 2.0, no real problems, I took the plunge and just installed over the top of 15.0.7. I did have a few extentions that didn't work, but I've fixed them all.

I suggest if you have any, re-download them again, don't install them, extract the contents of the xpi file. Open the rdf file, textpad will do. Look for the lines "min 1.0*" and the line "max 1.5*" change the second one to 2.0.*

Save the file then zip all the files you extacted. Change the zip extention to xpi, then drag this into extentions file as normal.

It should work, so far so good for all mine.