batch processing

JohnDemolition

currently, i'm a big fan of PNG compression and the only tool out there that can compress PNGs like they should is IrfanView. however, since i don't like using GUIs for simple operations, i just make custom command via "Folder Options > File Types > PNG > make new action" to do w/e i want.

in this case, i want to recompress a PNG image and rename it as well. the current command line is this.

"C:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view32.exe" %1 /convert=%path%\%random%.png

there is only 1 problem with this one. let's say the filename is "sshot-1.png". my desire is to name the recompressed one "sshot-1-compressed.png" but the problem is, i don't know how to do that so i've resorted to using random instead.

so the question is, does anyone know how to do that?

edit:fixed the code tags. i can't believe i put /quote instead of /code

i downloaded it yesterday along with NConvert but i don't know how to use NConvert which is a bit of the problem.

also, i fixed the issue by having a .bat file which launches a .vbs file which launches IrfanView which launches PNGOUT. it's messy but it works.

NConvert is already incorporated into XnView just open up your XnView Browser select convert from the toolbar if it not available go to Tools\ Options\Toolbar\Button Display and selct all the buttons you want to display on the toolbar. Then select Convert add your PNG file\Select your Output folder\the format if you want to convert to a different format\Options button beside the Format drop down list lets you change the way you rewrite the file\Transform tab let you select form any number of things you can do to the file to many to list then click go and its done I turned a 70kb PNG file into 17 kb file with max compression if you want to rename the file or number a bunch of file in sequence go under tools and select sequence convert and do the same functions as above but here you can sequence the files by number.

Good Luck

NConvert is already incorporated into XnView just open up your XnView Browser select convert from the toolbar if it not available go to Tools\ Options\Toolbar\Button Display and selct all the buttons you want to display on the toolbar. Then select Convert add your PNG file\Select your Output folder\the format if you want to convert to a different format\Options button beside the Format drop down list lets you change the way you rewrite the file\Transform tab let you select form any number of things you can do to the file to many to list then click go and its done I turned a 70kb PNG file into 17 kb file with max compression if you want to rename the file or number a bunch of file in sequence go under tools and select sequence convert and do the same functions as above but here you can sequence the files by number.

Good Luck

ugh, there's a reason why i used batch processing for the titlename of the topic. basically, i want to avoid GUIs.

@Andvari: calling IrfanView by itself it possible but limited to i use a .vbs file to fix the filename. since the right click menu will only open .bat and .exes, i have to do it like that. or i could just make a C++ program to do that but that's too much work.