a-squared online scanner

Anthony A

I tried this out on a computer today and find this scanner interesting. It has a nice interface lots of options for scanning and will clean as well as scan. This program manges to quarantine as well even though it is a online scanner. The problem I have with it is that it quarantines things in a folder that is placed in the temp folder. No worries about deleting this folder and quarantined items because I can't delete this folder even if I want to. When I tried to uninstall the scanner by removing the active x control in the browser, it removed the active x control no problem but the 10 mb folder in the temp file was still there and will not delete. When I right click it and try it says it can't be deleted so I went to properties and unchecked read only. tried to delete it again and got a different message about a dll that could not be removed and something about the disk being read only. Any body else use this scanner and know how to get rid of this folder.

I ran CCleaner before this scan and Ad-Aware wich detected nothing. Ran the quick scan with a-squared and it found over 50 items. Many were registry items. Either this scanner is loaded with false positives or Ad-Aware is junk. Any one have any experience with this scanner?

• Moderators

A-squared is just loaded with false positivies. :D

I haven't tried the online scanner but I tried the downloadable version not to long ago.(theres a topic about it around here somewhere...)

In the scanner how are you supposed to use the back ups? Just double click it or something?

Anyway if all you want to do is delete the file then give me the complete file path and the name of the file and I might have a fix for you. :D

But just know if the files are valid then they will be gone.(so you might want to see how to restore them)

A-squared is just loaded with false positivies. :D

I haven't tried the online scanner but I tried the downloadable version not to long ago.(theres a topic about it around here somewhere...)

In the scanner how are you supposed to use the back ups? Just double click it or something?

Anyway if all you want to do is delete the file then give me the complete file path and the name of the file and I might have a fix for you. :D

But just know if the files are valid then they will be gone.(so you might want to see how to restore them)

If by back ups you mean quarantined items there is a quarantine section in the GUI and you simply select what you want restored and click restore and the items are put back. Too bad the thing is full of false positives because it is a nice scanner and I really like the GUI. Here is a link to the help for it and there are lots of pics of the interface and step by step instructions on how to use it. http://www.emsisoft.com/en/info/a2ax/

As for the file I could not delete well I just went and tried again and it deleted no problem. You have to change it from read only (which I did before). The dll thing must have been because something was using it at the time or what ever but it deleted no problem. The path is C/Documents and Settings/user name/local settings/temp/a2onlinescan. It's about 10mb.

• Moderators

Glad to hear you got the file removed. :D

A-squared used to be one of the better scanners around even with its false positives because the programs simply weren't as good back then.

If your still looking for a few good program you could try ewido, superantispyware, adaware, and spybot. Those 4 seem to be the best and all of them have free versions.

Glad to hear you got the file removed. :D

A-squared used to be one of the better scanners around even with its false positives because the programs simply weren't as good back then.

If your still looking for a few good program you could try ewido, superantispyware, adaware, and spybot. Those 4 seem to be the best and all of them have free versions.

Those are the four I use already as well as CW shredder :) I also use AVG Antivirus and have Bitdefender online scanner and CA online scanner. I like both these online scanners. I have been having some trouble with the CA on line scanner lately though. It seems to finish the scan in less than a minute and says no problems detected but only scans 29,000 files and finishes the scan. It doesn't crash or hang it just finishes before it should. It works great on the other computers though.

just my two cents. im experimenting with asquared, and when i ran it today, it only found one entry-the same entry that was flagged by ewido as adaware. just an observation. :)

Was that the online scanner?

• Moderators

I never use the CA online scanner because I use their antivirus. :lol:

CA just released a new version of the antivirus and its awesome.

If your using the free avg you might want to look at this free year offer from etrust: http://home3.ca.com/SubscriptCenter/MSTrialRegistration.aspx

AVG is fine but if you want to try something else its an option. :)