CCs startup tool

FredLeon

Cannot get CCs start-up tool to delete 7 McAfee start up files. (McAfee suite is un-installed)

I have run Mike Lins Start Up Control Panel, & when I un-tick them on the control panel they reappear immediately with its box ticked. If I delete them, they reappear, and after a Restart they still show on startup list. :angry:

I have Run Dial-a-Fix Repair Permissions tool. then tried both CCs Start-up Tool, and Mike Lins Panel again, but with the same results (still there). :(

Please can you help. :)

Fred

• Moderators

Welcome to the CCleaner Forums FredLeon! :)

There's the possibility that a remnant of McAfee is still on your system which keeps re-registering files after they're removed from startup which for an anti-malware application would be it protecting itself. You may need to look in Add or Remove Programs for other McAfee installed components that were separately installed with the original application, or search the McAfee website support pages.

• Moderators

Hello Fred, there is some sort of mcafee uninstall tool listed here on the mcafee site for people who still have componants leftover

This site apparently contains a list for all products apart from 2007

http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=71943

and another tool here

http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/?siteID=1&resolution=1024x768 choose your product on the lefthand side drop down box.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Hello Fred, there is some sort of mcafee uninstall tool listed here on the mcafee site for people who still have componants leftover

This site apparently contains a list for all products apart from 2007

http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=71943

and another tool here

http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/?siteID=1&resolution=1024x768 choose your product on the lefthand side drop down box.

Thanks for your response ANDAVARI and HAZELNUT B)

I've downloaded the McAfee Removal Tool (MCPR.exe) and run it. But the problem still exists.

I've tried their "Internet Chat" with a real person but the space in the window to type the message is so small and it doesn't scroll along, so you are typing blind, coupled with the amount of time they give you to respond (60secs), it's difficult to explain the situation. :rolleyes:

So I've Emailed the problem to thier tech support and hope for an answer.

Do you want me to report the outcome of that?

Just in case anybody else has this problem the files are:- MSKAGENT.EXE MCAgentExe MCUpdateExe MPFExe VSOCheckTask VirusScan Online MSKAGENTEXE

Regards :)

Fred

• Moderators

Hello again Fred,

Tried a little bit more looking around and found this fix a few times, of course it will depend on if you still have the files there

Go to My Computer/ C Drive/programs files and see if McAfee folder is still there. If it is open it and then open the agent folder and app folder and delete any files ending in .adf which appear in them.

One other obscure one I found was Control panel/Administitive tools/computer management/services&applications then services. Look to the right hand panel and delete anything you see there to do with McAfee.

Yes please tell us how things go with this problem, it could help others!

P.S. Did you have the full security suite installed?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Hello again Fred,

Tried a little bit more looking around and found this fix a few times, of course it will depend on if you still have the files there

Go to My Computer/ C Drive/programs files and see if McAfee folder is still there. If it is open it and then open the agent folder and app folder and delete any files ending in .adf which appear in them.

One other obscure one I found was Control panel/Administitive tools/computer management/services&applications then services. Look to the right hand panel and delete anything you see there to do with McAfee.

Yes please tell us how things go with this problem, it could help others!

P.S. Did you have the full security suite installed?

Thanks sincerely for staying with my case HAZELNUT. B):D

I had the full McAfee Internet Security Suite 7. I've become dis-illusioned with them so I un-installed it thro' the Add/Remove Programs tool. I removed all other McAfee files after Search, then looked thro' Windows Explorer and deleted all McAfee files I could find. These 7 files(I call them files, CC calls them programs) I think must be in the registry.

Having installed CC, I then found that these 7 files are set to run at start-up, but would not delete.

I have just been thro' your suggestion in the Control Panel Hazelnut, but can find nothing in services to do with McAfee.

I have not received a reply from their Tech unit yet (that seems par for the course, but perhaps I'm being too anti McAfee) :rolleyes: I'll report when I get a reply.

I hope I'm not boring you.

Regards

Fred

• Moderators

Having installed CC, I then found that these 7 files are set to run at start-up, but would not delete.

Ahh! Locked registry keys are the norm for some anti-malware apps too, make sure you're first logged on with an Administrator account, if it still won't allow removal under an Admin account here's detailed instructions on un-locking them (this has to be done manually though because I don't know if Dial-a-fix unlocks such anti-malware software keys or not):

1. How to unlock a locked registry key (type 1):

2. Click Start, Run, and type in: RegEdit

3. In RegEdit navigate to the key that your registry cleaner can't remove.

4. Right click the registry key to display a pop-up, then click: Permissions

5. Now tick to enable: Full Control

6. Repeat the above steps for each key that your registry cleaner can't remove.

7. Close RegEdit, and run your registry cleaner again. It "may" now be

able to successfully remove the key it detects as invalid.

1. How to unlock a locked registry key (type 2):

2. Click Start, Run, and type in: RegEdit

3. In RegEdit navigate to the key that your registry cleaner can't remove.

4. Right click the registry key to display a pop-up, then click: Permissions

5. Now click: Add

6. Input into the field named 'Enter object names to select': Administrators

7. Repeat the above steps for each key that your registry cleaner can't remove.

8. Close RegEdit, and run your registry cleaner again. It "may" now be

able to successfully remove the key it detects as invalid.