The False Promise of Browser Security

Humpty

Zero day - love my Sandboxie! :)

Quote:(debatable)

All Web browsers are insecure to some degree, though, because they all must work with flawed code in the operating systems. There are some indications of progress, such as frequent patches from Microsoft and Mozilla Latest News about Mozilla Foundation to close security holes. Still, these actions may be too little too late if a zero-day exploit is the attack weapon.

Article

Great article Humpty. Anyone who persists with IE is obviously potty from the eyebrows upwards. Use Firefox with the No script extension. It's much safer. :D

It is never difficult to distinguish between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine. P. G. Wodehouse

• 3 weeks later...

I found No-Script" to mess pages up cause it would block ALOT of Images and crap.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

I'm happy with No-Script. It does indeed require some attention whenever you visit a new page, but after some time, I myself has noticed that allowing new, trusted sites goes somewhat automatically. When you have gotten used to it, you really don't want to surf the web without it. You know, this does prevent some nasty javascript related exploits in Firefox =)