MS Updates

res45

Well were up to about 70 Security updates now on XP. I dont know about anybody else but this is getting to be to much to deal with even with DSL. I know you can set update to auto but who want all the extra junk I think it about time for a new Service Pak. or at least a rollup either one. Its up to about 2 Hrs. or longer now just to do manual updates and Vista no ever going to conside that bloated piece of OS anytime in the near future. I have tried to do some slipstreaming with some of the programs available on the net but none see to really work right ever :angry:

• Moderators

Well you can apparently download an ISO with all the updates here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913086

(thanks to andavari's recent post in the freeware thread. :P)

I did read a while back that SP3 is underway and should be released around the same time as vista or a little after. But vista has been delayed over and over again so who knows whats come of SP3, its still probably a good ways off.

Well you can apparently download an ISO with all the updates here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913086

(thanks to andavari's recent post in the freeware thread. :P)

I did read a while back that SP3 is underway and should be released around the same time as vista or a little after. But vista has been delayed over and over again so who knows whats come of SP3, its still probably a good ways off.

Yeah, but in the release of SP3 I suspect a few Interface changes :)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

Quote:

Next Tuesday, on October 10, 2006 at approximately 10:00 am PT we are slated to release eleven new security bulletins:

* Six Microsoft Security Bulletins affecting Microsoft Windows. The highest Maximum Severity rating for these is Critical. These updates will be detectable using the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer. Some of these updates will require a restart.

* Four Microsoft Security Bulletins affecting Microsoft Office. The highest Maximum Severity rating for these is Critical. These updates will be detectable using the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer. These updates may require a restart.

* One Microsoft Security Bulletin affecting Microsoft .NET Framework. The highest Maximum Severity rating for this is Moderate. These updates will be detectable using the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer and the Enterprise Scan Tool. These updates may require a restart.

We will also be making our regular monthly update to the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool.

Article

Yeah, but in the release of SP3 I suspect a few Interface changes :)

I highly doubt that there will be any interface changes in SP3.

Service Packs is most geared towards patches, even though sometimes it has some updated versions of software containing new features. The only thing you can expect for sure in SP3 is a tons of patches.

Might contain IE7, WMP11 though.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

Well were up to about 70 Security updates now on XP. I dont know about anybody else but this is getting to be to much to deal with even with DSL. I know you can set update to auto but who want all the extra junk I think it about time for a new Service Pak. or at least a rollup either one. Its up to about 2 Hrs. or longer now just to do manual updates and Vista no ever going to conside that bloated piece of OS anytime in the near future. I have tried to do some slipstreaming with some of the programs available on the net but none see to really work right ever :angry:

You must have something seriously wrong with your DSL if it took 2 hours. The last update took no more than a few mins. I recently did a windows repair which require all updates since SP2 and that took less than an hour.

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit - IE11 - Nod32 - Mbam pro

You must have something seriously wrong with your DSL if it took 2 hours. The last update took no more than a few mins. I recently did a windows repair which require all updates since SP2 and that took less than an hour.

Yes im on the end of the line way out in the sticks we have 2 types of DSL slow and fast I have the slow version. Also after rereading my own post after just finishing a 7 day 12 hr. a day shift at work I realized I had adding the total time to install XP and do all the updates from scratch. All those update still suck though.

I highly doubt that there will be any interface changes in SP3.

Service Packs is most geared towards patches, even though sometimes it has some updated versions of software containing new features. The only thing you can expect for sure in SP3 is a tons of patches.

Might contain IE7, WMP11 though.

I know. In the first place I would of liked Xp to come with more choices of Themes or Visuals.

The down side I may not be able to download SP3 because I'm using a Pirated copy of Windows Xp Professional but thats my fault :rolleyes:

I still may manger to get it though through Torrents or a website that I know of once the pack is released.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

• Moderators

All those update still suck though.

Indeed they do! Although MS allows the downloading of .ISO CD images for creating a CD for the updates I think it's time for them to compile them again on security update CD's available through regular snail mail. I was looking for a new MS security update CD newer than what was released in 2004 when I stumbled upon the .ISO CD image offer.

• 2 weeks later...

The original post was about so many updates almost daily. Would you consider it acceptable if you were only given anti-virus updates every 6 months by ISO ?

On dial-up I understand the issue - my friend is still (gasp) on dial-up and is constantly being killed with updates. (i think he's still downloading updates 4 Windows 3.1 lol !)

• Moderators

They only do updates once a month now, its not like your getting them every day.The topic was started saying he just reformatted his computer and he had to download all the updates.(thats what the ISO disc is for not for just getting updates all the time.) Thats one of the worst parts of reformatting, waiting for all the updates to download. But as a monthly thing I don't think updates are all that bad.(but I'm not using dial up either)

Edit:

Also burt I accidentally pressed edit and not reply on your post and I think I deleted a sentence when I was trying to quote you. Sorry about that. :(