Spybot - Symantec conflict

Humpty

Quote:

From March 2005 to December 2005, Symantec labeled Spybot-S&D as incompatible to Norton Ghost, and endangering backups, with no reason given to us in 19 months now. Since October 2005, Norton Internet Security has told users that Spybot-S&D would be incompatible and they had to remove Spybot-S&D.

Eleven months later, Symantec has given us just one explanation that was mostly invented and not fitting. Even though Symantec again promised changes, they have now released Norton Internet Security 2007 which again urges the user to uninstall Spybot-S&D.

Article

What a pointless statement by Spybot. Surely, it is not uncommon for some programs to conflict. In fact you will often see warnings that haveing 2 or more resident shields may cause a problem. For Spybot to suggest adding NIS to its database for just spite is totally ridiculous.

PS. It would I think be better if the moderators of this forum opted out of the product bashing threads

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit - IE11 - Nod32 - Mbam pro

Symantec wouldn't get so much s**t and bashing their way if only they'd for once in their commercial life make an uninstaller that actually removed their applications. My memories of when I used Norton AV 2000, 2001, and 2002 where I had to make my own uninstaller for them is very fresh in my mind.

However I think if Spybot-S&D starts detecting Symantec products as malware it's completely the wrong way to go! They'd be better off just conversing together to solve the issue non-publically because we don't need two anti-malware companies starting a digital war on consumers hard disks, and the important thing to remember is people have willingly bought Symantec products therefore if a freeware util like Spybot-S&D were to place it in its defs that could damage Spybot-S&D's image and trustability of dealing with actual malware, and the backlash in this day and age could be rather expensive court-wise and money-wise by not only Symantec, but also pissed off Symantec consumers who've spent a good chunk of money on a software title.

My feelings exactly.

PS I have used NIS for several years and have stayed virus free. On the ocassions that I have removed old versions to install new I have not experienced any difficulty, providing any realtime protection is shut down first.

• Moderators

Mike , I have just read the article and I didn't really get the same overall impression as you.

Spybot is offering people the chance to change the way people belonging to the same organization ( fighting spyware) work together. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask a fellow member to work towards the same goal by swopping info.

However that is just how I read it.

I didn't really take offense either at the light-hearted banter in this thread about Norton. There was no real malice intended.

(Just pray Eldmannen doesn't read this) :lol:

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Mike , I have just read the article and I didn't really get the same overall impression as you.

Spybot is offering people the chance to change the way people belonging to the same oranization ( fighting spyware) work together. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask a fellow member to work towards the same goal by swopping info.

However that is just how I read it.

I didn't really take offense either at the light-hearted banter in this thread about Norton. There was no real malice intended.

(Just pray Eldmannen doesn't read this) :lol:

Thanks for your response, this is copied from Spybots article and is what I was objecting to.

Should we add detection for Norton Internet Security 2006 and 2007 as Malware or Possibly UnPopular Software (PUPS)?

Yes, detect NIS completely!

Yes, but detect only some harmless files to wake up people.

No, please waste our donations to go through legal channels, instead of using them to fight malware.

None of the above.

Please note that under ASCs definition, technology that is implemented in ways that impairs user control over material changes that affecs their system security, in other words software that reduces system security like NIS does, falls under the term Spyware (and Other Potentially Unwanted Technologies), so adding NIS to the detection would not be revenge, but a strict following of the ASC definitions.

Did I tell you guys about that time when my mom found out that I had Symantec/Norton software on my computer and she wowed to disown me? :unsure:

:lol::lol::lol:

Stop it ! Stop it ! Stop it !

It is never difficult to distinguish between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine. P. G. Wodehouse

• Moderators

Symantec wouldn't get so much s**t and bashing their way if only they'd for once in their commercial life make an uninstaller that actually removed their applications. My memories of when I used Norton AV 2000, 2001, and 2002 where I had to make my own uninstaller for them is very fresh in my mind.

However I think if Spybot-S&D starts detecting Symantec products as malware it's completely the wrong way to go! They'd be better off just conversing together to solve the issue non-publically because we don't need two anti-malware companies starting a digital war on consumers hard disks, and the important thing to remember is people have willingly bought Symantec products therefore if a freeware util like Spybot-S&D were to place it in its defs that could damage Spybot-S&D's image and trustability of dealing with actual malware, and the backlash in this day and age could be rather expensive court-wise and money-wise by not only Symantec, but also pissed off Symantec consumers who've spent a good chunk of money on a software title.

• Moderators

Did I tell you guys about that time when my mom found out that I had Symantec/Norton software on my computer and she vowed to disown me?

Yeah I remember you mentioning it and it's just a funny the second time around. You seriously need to get a t-shirt made with that on it.