Acronis True Image 7

Humpty

Older version of TI being offered for free?

Happy Ghost user here so haven't had a need to try this.Don't know if there are any catches to the offer as I am unfamiliar with the link provided.

Quote:

Exclusive Computeractive Download Offer - Expires October 17, 2006

We?re giving you the full commercial version of Acronis True Image 7, worth ?28, which is one of the most popular disk backup and restore tools.

To install the software you'll need a free serial number.

Link

I've never heard of that site either but since its in the uk maybe one of the people from here knows something about it.

Computeractive is a UK magazine that is published fortnightly, and has been around since early 1998, I started buying it from issue 6 onwards and have bought every issue since.

Every fortnight they include at least one, sometimes two links to well known programs (albeit, older versions), the intention is that you will like it and pay to upgrade to the latest version.

The registration link will always be to the software manufacturers website.

I get a lot of paid for software this way, it is the only paid for software that I ever use.

I'm from the UK and I actually bought this issue specifically because it has a full working version of True Image 7.0 on disk. Included on the same disk are McAfee Personal Firewall plus 2005 and Panda Antivirus 2007 (the latter with 3 months worth of free updates). There's also an additional disk with other free programs which I haven't ran yet.

Good value, I was looking for a replacement to Zone Alarm which has been nothing but trouble for a few months, so I got True Image AND a firewall for free...

Having never used one of these programs what would be the main uses for this? Is it an alternetive to backup software?

It is backup software you first created a Rescue Media CD which is a copy of the programs that you can boot from you CD drive in the event of a system crash. You can also install the Startup Recovery Manager which uses the F11 key. This allows you to access the copy of your Disk Image or backup clone of your main HD that you created in a non visable partition with the program on a seperate HD if you have 2 installed I guess it would also work on a single HD also not sure about that though. You can also use the program to make partition on your HD's or set up a new one all together.

• Moderators

This seems like a pretty cool magazine. :)

They apparently have been giving away a lot of free stuff. I found this page:

http://www.downloadjunkie.co.uk/

Serif DrawPlus 5

Registry Mechanic 5.0

Ashampoo Burning Studio 2005

Paragon Exact Image 7 SE

Ashampoo WinOptimizer Platinum Suite 2

Ashampoo Photo Commander 3.5

They also talk about some pretty cool software as well.

(I get PCMag and PCWorld and they aren't half as good, online anyway. :P)

• Moderators

Wow I just installed all of those programs. You cant beat getting about $300 worth of software for free in about an hour. :P True its stuff I'll probably never want but hey its free. :D

I want to try the regcleaners but I don't have time to fix my pc if they wreck it. I guess it would be a good chance to try the recovery software. :P

(My pc has a recovery partition and I have everything on dvd and an external HD anyway but I still don't want to fool with it right now. Maybe this weekend. :rolleyes: )

Older version of TI being offered for free?

Happy Ghost user here so haven't had a need to try this.Don't know if there are any catches to the offer as I am unfamiliar with the link provided.

Quote:

Exclusive Computeractive Download Offer - Expires October 17, 2006

We're giving you the full commercial version of Acronis True Image 7, worth ?28, which is one of the most popular disk backup and restore tools.

To install the software you'll need a free serial number.

Link

Ah, one week earlier would have been nice - I just purchased Acronis True Image 9.0 for the full price!

This is how you do it on an Unix-like operating system such as Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS X.

Creating an disk image using dd.

$ dd if=/dev/hda1 of=hda1.img

Writing an disk image using dd.

$ dd if=hda1.img of=/dev/hda1

Man was that easy?

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

Installed TI 7.0 today when I got in from work was pretty easy to set up by using the wizard created a disk image on my extra HD then I made a Bootable Rescue Media CD check it out it works then I tested my archived file it checked out ok also. Then I set the program to do a backup on Wed. and Sun. at 4 AM I hope I never have to use it but at least I have another alternative to reformatt and install everything again in the event of a crash which I have rarely had. Seems to be a great program will see just how good if its ever needed.

Installed TI 7.0 today when I got in from work was pretty easy to set up by using the wizard created a disk image on my extra HD then I made a Bootable Rescue Media CD check it out it works then I tested my archived file it checked out ok also. Then I set the program to do a backup on Wed. and Sun. at 4 AM I hope I never have to use it but at least I have another alternative to reformatt and install everything again in the event of a crash which I have rarely had. Seems to be a great program will see just how good if its ever needed.

Ah well, that'll teach me for not jumping on it when I had the chance. They've caught on to the fact it was being linked to and have took it down. Never mind, got Ashampoo WinOptimizer and Registry Mechanic out of them first :D

WinOptimizer seems pretty average and doesn't do anything different to what my current programs already do. Reg Mechanic seems pretty good though, anyone have any opinions on how safe Reg Mechanic is?

(Link to free Reg Mechanic still active at: http://www.computeractive.co.uk/vnunet/dow...try-mechanic50)

Ah well, that'll teach me for not jumping on it when I had the chance. They've caught on to the fact it was being linked to and have took it down. Never mind, got Ashampoo WinOptimizer and Registry Mechanic out of them first :D

Correct. We took it down as it was supposed to be a 'closed' download for magazine readers. We're now going to have to re-evaluate that strategy as the information spread across the web. It wasn't an offer for the general public and, as you can imagine, it annoyed both Acronis and ourselves. At one stage, last Wednesday, 400 people were trying to download at the same time from our FTP server and it was overloaded.

All the free apps on www.vnunet.com and www.downloadjunkie.co.uk *are* for the general public though. Everyone is more than welcome to download Registry Mechanic 5 and others!

Chris.

Thanks Chris ( from Computeractive I presume) for letting us know why the download was removed.

P.S. Welcome to the forum :)

Thanks. From vnunet.com, although Computeractive is part of the VNU magazine network.

Some of our free downloads on vnunet.com have a 'download expiry' (ie. they're available to download from the site, for a month). I think the full Registry Mechanic download offer expires this week.

It's certainly an excellent app. Now, I need to check whether I put CCleaner on vnunet.com/downloads. I'm sure I did!

Chris.