Instant Message, Instant Infection

Humpty

Quote:

The IM-Worm.Win32.Qucan.a. -- initially discovered by MicroWorld Technologies and subsequently dubbed by Trend Micro as WORM_SOHANAD.A -- is spreading in MSN Live Messenger and Yahoo Messenger, but not AIM.

It started with a link to a "photo" of the new Miss World 2006 winner but has gotten more insidious in the past few days with a more legitimate-sounding message: "A new dangerous computer virus that can destroy all your data has just been released. Click here to know how to avoid it."

Article

I don't like IM clients from my days back when I was an AOL user. I'm glad I don't have to deal with securing one of them, or deal with being bothered by someone when I don't want to be.

Most IM clients suck, when you use a service, you are often forced to use the client of that service provider since the protocol usually is closed and there are no specifications, RFC's or technical documentation and the client is usually big, bloated and full of useless features geared towards the masses.

There are some good IM clients though, I like the light-weight multi-protocol ones that can be extended via plugins. Such as Miranda IM which is my favourite IM client.

Most IM networks now allow you to go "invisible" or just appear to be offline for certain users you choose.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

it gets on your friends PC and sends it out to everyone on their buddy list.

pretty sneaky.

i use AIM and the worm was a big nuissance throughout last year.

Most IM clients suck

my fav has got to be AIM and its the best one ive seen.

i tried triton but it didnt work really good, it said i had too many buddies or something like that..

Most IM clients suck, when you use a service, you are often forced to use the client of that service provider since the protocol usually is closed and there are no specifications, RFC's or technical documentation and the client is usually big, bloated and full of useless features geared towards the masses.

There are some good IM clients though, I like the light-weight multi-protocol ones that can be extended via plugins. Such as Miranda IM which is my favourite IM client.

Most IM networks now allow you to go "invisible" or just appear to be offline for certain users you choose.

Wow, Miranda IM looks pretty sweet. Do you think it's better than Gaim? (Link)

~Ron :)

Wow, Miranda IM looks pretty sweet. Do you think it's better than Gaim? (Link)

~Ron :)

Both are good. And it depends what you like and personal flavour and so.

I use Miranda IM and I like it, its light-weight and modular with a plugin architecture.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

80x15_3.png

I like GAIM, the 2.0 beta. The only gripes I have with GAIM is the interface can be kind of clunky at times. IM Windows, for example. Tabbed windows are great, but why do the tabs have to be half (exaggeration, more like 1/6) the size of the window?

I didn't like miranda. I'm not a big IM user but Miranda just seemed ugly. I use gaim when I do use IM and I have portable gaim on my flash drive. :)

I love it, its so beautiful in its simplicity. It's not ugly, it can be heavily customized with plugins to look very different, and you can use background pictures, change icons, change sounds, etc. One configuration of Miranda IM can look totally different to another depending on what icons, background picture, plugins, etc you have.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

80x15_3.png