Question for Linux Users

Mike Rochip

I installed Ubuntu Linux and have 1 major problem. With Linux I mean, I have lots of other major problems :P .

Linux didn't detect my dial up modem. I know the problem is that it's a Winmodem [HSP 56 Micromodem made by Aztech] and that for some reason Winmodem manufacturers only want Winmodems to work with Windows.

Is there an easy way to get it to work? I've found instructions on the internet, but they are complicated and I don't know Linux well enough to understand how to follow them. Maybe that makes 2 major problems with Linux, lol.

My other question would be is that if I get an external modem would that have a better chance of working? I'm hoping to get the internal modem to work, though.

Thanks for any help.

• Moderators

Looking at this I'm not surprised you are asking for help Mike!

http://www.aboutdebian.com/modems.htm

Here's a one with pictures which may or may not help

http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/linux/manual1/dialup.html

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Winmodems sucks, that much I know.

I only have used Linux to connect to the Internet via Ethernet using DHCP.

But I know it is possible to connect to the Internet via a modem using PPP.

An external modem most likely will work. I heard that USRobotics are good.

You live in the bush or something? :(

It is amazing people still have to connect to the Internet using dialup.

Feels great to have 100 mbit/s down, 10 mbit/s broadband.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

You live in the bush or something? :(

It is amazing people still have to connect to the Internet using dialup.

Feels great to have 100 mbit/s down, 10 mbit/s broadband.

Dude, you really crack me up :lol: ! I was even going write in my post that I hoped no one would make fun of my dial up connection or suggest I get broadband but I'm trying to keep my posts shorter so people don't fall asleep or start cursing or leave the forum or blow up their PCs with C4 or worse.

No I don't live in the bush. Unless you mean The Land Where Bush is the King.

Depends on where you live, and how much you are willing to pay.

I have 100 mbit/s downstream and 10 mbit/s upstream for 32?. :D

I don't live in the Capitalist States of America though.

Well I do but I don't have enough money to live here well. If I had enough money I'd move to Sweden or Finland and get a great connection for 32?!

Thanks for the laugh :) !

I don't know anyone who still uses dial-up. Dial-up makes me feel nostalgic.

I used to have dial-up before too, a USRobotics 28,8k. It was hell, costed much money and was slow.

If you don't live in the bush then why don't you have broadband?

Broadband is as far as I know, available pretty much anywhere (except the bush), and is in most cases cheaper too.

I remember I had modem pools that I illegally did connect to, so my parents wouldn't kill me for getting huge bills.

The dial-up noise signal beep-bop-bop-beep-beeeeep thing that you hear when the modem dials up makes me so nostalgic. Dial-up is old school. :D

firefoxblue4yw.gif

80x15_3.png

I remember I had modem pools that I illegally did connect to, so my parents wouldn't kill me for getting huge bills.

The dial-up noise signal beep-bop-bop-beep-beeeeep thing that you hear when the modem dials up makes me so nostalgic. Dial-up is old school. :D

Try this on for size. I used to run a 4 line BBS in NYC back in 92. The modems were 16.8 USR HSTs with a 4 port Digiboard running under OS/2 Warp. On top of that I used to have running Frontdoor with Echomail/Netmail server. My monthly phone would ranged from $750 - $1000. That included all 4 lines and long distance with MCI.

Try this on for size. I used to run a 4 line BBS in NYC back in 92. The modems were 16.8 USR HSTs with a 4 port Digiboard running under OS/2 Warp. On top of that I used to have running Frontdoor with Echomail/Netmail server. My monthly phone would ranged from $750 - $1000. That included all 4 lines and long distance with MCI.

Damn, BBS you're old school! :D

OS/2 Warp, I never got to use that system, just seen it running once at the Dentist or something.

$750 - $1000, how could you afford that?

4 lines, how do you get that?

firefoxblue4yw.gif

80x15_3.png

Damn, BBS you're old school! :D

OS/2 Warp, I never got to use that system, just seen it running once at the Dentist or something.

$750 - $1000, how could you afford that?

4 lines, how do you get that?

I ran Telegard, Renegade, PCboard, even messed around with WildCat! The main file for OS/2 was the Config.os2, if memory serves me correctly. I used OS/2 til 96.

As for the $$$, I was living at home at the time and so I had NO BILLS, but my phone. I worked and still had money left over to do other things. I only ran the bbs on 4 lines for about a year, til I move to Atlanta.

Well, in NYC you can get anything you want as long as you have the $$$. It was New York Telephone at the time, then NYNEX, Bell Atlantic and finally Verizon.

I miss those days it was alot different. There wasn't really a World Wide Web. Computer hardware was fun, jumpers, dip switches, terminators, sip memory, MCA. I can go on... :) You really had to earn you A+ back then. Actually, they didn't even have A+ back then.

I ran Telegard, Renegade, PCboard, even messed around with WildCat! The main file for OS/2 was the Config.os2, if memory serves me correctly. I used OS/2 til 96.

As for the $$$, I was living at home at the time and so I had NO BILLS, but my phone. I worked and still had money left over to do other things. I only ran the bbs on 4 lines for about a year, til I move to Atlanta.

Well, in NYC you can get anything you want as long as you have the $$$. It was New York Telephone at the time, then NYNEX, Bell Atlantic and finally Verizon.

I miss those days it was alot different. There wasn't really a World Wide Web. Computer hardware was fun, jumpers, dip switches, terminators, sip memory, MCA. I can go on... :) You really had to earn you A+ back then. Actually, they didn't even have A+ back then.

You're old school! :D

According to Wikipedia, the latest release of OS/2 Warp was version 4.52 in December, 2001. o.o

Still plenty of money.

Yeah, I remember using DIP switches to overclock my Intel Pentium 150 to 166 MHz. :D

I remember using jumpers on my old SCSI disks to define the LUN id.

And using terminators on the last SCSI disk in the chain.

MCA the bus? I am not too familiar with that one. Earliest computer I had was a 386SX think it was around 16 MHz and 8 mb RAM or something like that.

SIP memory?

firefoxblue4yw.gif

80x15_3.png

You're old school! :D

According to Wikipedia, the latest release of OS/2 Warp was version 4.52 in December, 2001. o.o

Still plenty of money.

Yeah, I remember using DIP switches to overclock my Intel Pentium 150 to 166 MHz. :D

I remember using jumpers on my old SCSI disks to define the LUN id.

And using terminators on the last SCSI disk in the chain.

MCA the bus? I am not too familiar with that one. Earliest computer I had was a 386SX think it was around 16 MHz and 8 mb RAM or something like that.

SIP memory?

Wow, OS/2 was around for that long? Interesting.

Yep, I remember SCSI and hated it! MCA, Micro Channel Architecture. It was mainly used in IBM PS/2 machines in the early 90s.

Single inline memory Module. It's mostly used in old printers. First computer was a 286 w/o math co. My 286 had a slot for sip memory 4mb.

Wow, OS/2 was around for that long? Interesting.

Yep, I remember SCSI and hated it! MCA, Micro Channel Architecture. It was mainly used in IBM PS/2 machines in the early 90s.

Single inline memory Module. It's mostly used in old printers. First computer was a 286 w/o math co. My 286 had a slot for sip memory 4mb.

Well, might not been developed with new stuff for so long, maybe just some minor stuff like bugfixes and patches. Like y2k bug fix, because else the people who used OS/2 would be like oh y2k y2k y2k, it was all what people talked about back then. :D

Nobody used it at home, but some companies which had stuff that only worked on it, was stuck with it, I guess.

SCSI are expensive disks, I got it for free, they are server disks, but they are good performance. I had 1 gb SCSI disk on my 386, it was awesome. :D

Really big space. :)

firefoxblue4yw.gif

80x15_3.png