Norton Protected Recycled Bin 2006

Jim L

I found a problem after updating CCleaner version 1.33.382 it corrupted NSW 2006 protected recycle bin.

I tried uninstalling CCleaner and this didn't fix the problem. I then tried uninstalling NSW 2006 and reinstalling it, but this didn't fix the problem. I then reformated my computer and then reinstalled everything except CCleaner. Now everything works correct, but after installing CCleaner the Norton Protected Recycled

Bin is grayed out again. I contacted Norton and they couldn't fix the problem. I haven't had any problems

with CCleaner until after this last update v1.33.382

Thanks

Jim L.

Windows XP Pro full version fully updated

NTFS

Emachine C6207

NIS 2006

NSW 2006

welcome to the CC forums jim :)

an easy temporary fix would be to do a system restore.

start>programs>accessories>system tools>system restore.

have you checked off anything in the advanced section on Ccleaner?

theres 2 tabs, a windows and a applications tab.

go to applications and uncheck nortons.

that should work.

you are talking about the cleaner and not the issues part, right?

Also, as this is related to Nortons protected recycle bin, I would suggest trying unticking the 'Empty Recycle Bin' under the Windows tab of CCleaner (though I have no knowledge of this particular Norton function)

well on the topic of nortons, what about the one button checkup and the stuff that doesnt necessarily have to run all the time?

ive heard that the only reason ppl dont use it is because its a resource hog.

well on the topic of nortons, what about the one button checkup and the stuff that doesnt necessarily have to run all the time?

ive heard that the only reason ppl dont use it is because its a resource hog.

Oh nono, that is just one of the reasons. Norton products are notorious for being troublesome to uninstall, the uninstaller rarerly works, and you have to goto the Norton website and download an uninstaller utility which does an poor job at uninstalling Norton products. Getting rid of Norton products have been described as more difficult than getting rid of viruses.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

Who has a solution for this problem?

What does NOT help:

- checking/unchecking options in ccleaner

- reinstalling norton.

Hint: the solution has to be related to something that is changed in the most recent version(s) of ccleaner, because everything was working perfectly before...

Who has a solution for this problem?

What does NOT help:

- checking/unchecking options in ccleaner

- reinstalling norton.

Hint: the solution has to be related to something that is changed in the most recent version(s) of ccleaner, because everything was working perfectly before...

How about uninstalling Norton and never installing it again? :D

Norton brings more trouble than it's worth.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

How about uninstalling Norton and never installing it again? :D

Norton brings more trouble than it's worth.

Perfect solution! Others solutions of the same kind (from good to better):

- format your pc

- use mac os

- use linux

- destroy your computer and never use one again

- commit suicide.

I think these solutions are as good as the one you're providing...

• Moderators

If you're on Windows XP you could create a new profile with Admin privileges to see if the same thing is broken in the new profile that hasn't ever been cleaned. If it isn't broken in the new Admin profile it would have something to do with your current user profile and could possibly be narrowed down to something wrong in the registry.

About the only way you're going to discover exactly what's happening is to do some detective work:

1. Create a System Restore point before cleaning your user profile, while Norton Protected Recycle Bin still works. It also wouldn't hurt to make a known good registry backup with ERUNT in case System Restore fails to restore your system to it's previous state.
  2. Download and install Total Uninstall 2.35 (Last Freeware Version), run a scan with Total Uninstall pretending as if you're installing some software even though you aren't so that it can track the exact system changes.
  3. Use the Total Uninstall option after the preliminary scan to install multiple programs which allows you to exit Total Uninstall yet keep the preliminary scan results.
  4. Run CCleaner and see if Norton Protected Recycle Bin becomes broken, which may require a reboot to determine. Note: Total Uninstall will automatically run after the reboot to determine the changes.
  5. Then looking through the Total Uninstall changes you can look at what possible files and registry keys have been changed or removed.

Sharing your results with the CCleaner developer and Symantec/Norton may fix a potential issue.

Excellent post Andavari, I'll be keeping a copy of that for future reference :)

BTW is that Total Uninstall good for everyday install and uninstall of programs, been meaning to try it out and never got round to it?

If you're on Windows XP you could create a new profile with Admin privileges to see if the same thing is broken in the new profile that hasn't ever been cleaned. If it isn't broken in the new Admin profile it would have something to do with your current user profile and could possibly be narrowed down to something wrong in the registry.

About the only way you're going to discover exactly what's happening is to do some detective work...

I created a new admin user: norton bin is broken here too...

For what's it worth: I attached a log file created by total uninstaller when installing ccleaner. At first sight nothing is refering to norton or symantec... Imo ccleaner doesn't break the norton bin when installing but corrupts it somehow later on. So the problem seems to be deeper in the progam...

Any ideas?

ccleaner.txt

ccleaner.txt

• Moderators

BTW is that Total Uninstall good for everyday install and uninstall of programs, been meaning to try it out and never got round to it?

Yes, and I use it to track any and all installations with the only exceptions being CCleaner and Firefox which I always over-install/upgrade, however all other programs I tend to not trust what they're installing.

Although Total Uninstall pretty much gets rid of most, or all of some applications it can't determine what files were created after the watched installation therefore it's vital to update any programs that have an integrated updater, and at least run the program once so that program saves it's registry settings after all that Total Uninstall should have a rather thorough watched installation.

Total Uninstall however does at times fail to remove some registry keys that have subkeys, although those are typically application settings added after the watched installation which are rather easy to remove with regedit.

For what's it worth: I attached a log file created by total uninstaller when installing ccleaner. At first sight nothing is refering to norton or symantec... Imo ccleaner doesn't break the norton bin when installing but corrupts it somehow later on. So the problem seems to be deeper in the progam...

Any ideas?

The only thing that log shows are added items, I didn't notice any listed as removed. And since Norton Protected Recycle Bin is broken on the new Admin profile before even running CCleaner it may have something to do in the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, or another global registry area, or a file needed by Norton Protected Recycle Bin is either broken/corrupt or un-registered.

• 4 weeks later...