Can't defrag computer

grabacontroller

There are a few reasons why you may not be able to defrag.

* 1st of all you need to be the administrator, and your permissions could be messed up.

* 2nd of all, you need 15mb or more of hard drive space for defragging. So you may need to make some free space.

Could either of these situations be the problem?

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

There are a few reasons why you may not be able to defrag.

* 1st of all you need to be the administrator, and your permissions could be messed up.

* 2nd of all, you need 15mb or more of hard drive space for defragging. So you may need to make some free space.

Could either of these situations be the problem?

I'm administrator and also I have 15 gb of space left. It says that the My Music folder can't be defragmented. I used a third party defragmenter and it seems that the computer is running faster.....

IPB Image

I've gotten this problem with broken RAM- sticks. Back then it even said that one part of system files/other, kind of large files, were completely inaccesible by Windows Defragmenter. If anything else can't help, I recommend stress testing computer component by component to find possible problems with hardware.

I belive the requirement is 15 percent freespace.

Yep! ;)

I'm administrator and also I have 15 gb of space left. It says that the My Music folder can't be defragmented. I used a third party defragmenter and it seems that the computer is running faster.....

What 3rd party defragmenter did you use? I've used some suggested here, then later ran the XP Compatibility thingy and found out they were incompatible. Just be careful, and use the Compatibility wizard to detect incompatible software just to be on the safe side. If you want to of course. :P

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Yep! ;)

What 3rd party defragmenter did you use? I've used some suggested here, then later ran the XP Compatibility thingy and found out they were incompatible. Just be careful, and use the Compatibility wizard to detect incompatible software just to be on the safe side. If you want to of course. :P

I use Ashampoo Magical Defrag on this computer. XP Compatiblity thingy? Where is that at? I have 44% free space.

IPB Image

I use Ashampoo Magical Defrag on this computer. XP Compatiblity thingy?

hehe I use the word "thingy" too much. lmao

> Insert installation CD

> Check system compatibility

> Check my system automatically

Just to be on the safe side. And as E keeps pointing out, a chkdsk /r is always a good idea too. :)