Losing custom toolbars in MS Access

Lpfeffa

Whenever I run CCleaner, my customized toolbar disappears in Access - and when I open the program, I get that damn paperclip, as though I'm a new user to Access.

Is there some setting I need to change before I run CCleaner?

Thanks.

-- Lucy

Lucy,

I'm new to the forum but noticed someone posted that you can go to "Applications" and uncheck "Access."

I don't know what operating system you are using or what "Office" product you have, but I don't believe that "Access" shows up separately from the other Office items (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access). If that is the case, I think you have two choices.

1. You can uncheck Office 97 or Office XP - but that will disable cleaning ALL the Office suite products. This is sort of a sledge hammer approach, deactivating all of Office XP.

2. You can do what I did, but it requires editing the "winapps.ini" file. I'm going to describe how I did this in Windows XP (if you are using something else, let me know).

Go to C:\Program Files\CCleaner. In the list of files, find "winapps.ini" and open it (double click). Scroll down until you see the [Office XP] list. The last key currently looks like this:

RegKey9=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Access\Settings

All you need to do is comment it out by putting a semi-colon at the beginning so the line looks like this:

;RegKey9=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Access\Settings

When you click the "X" to close the window it will ask you if you want to save the changes - say yes, and close the window.

Now, make sure in the CCleaner Applications list that Office XP is still selected.

What you have done is told CCleaner to clean all the Office XP files except Access.

I know that when you open the "winapps.ini" file it says not to edit the file, but this is the onlyway I have found to exclude Access. NOTE: You will have to re-edit this winapps.ini file each time you upgrade CCleaner to the next version since the un-edited file will always be contained in the new release.

As an FYI, and my issue, Access keeps the "Default Data Directory" in the same place it is keeping your personal Toolbar settings. When I ran CCleaner, it kept resetting the default directory (and I keep all my "data" files on a separate drive, which is not where Office defaults. So, each time I started Access after cleaning, I had to reset the Default Data Directory.

Please post and let me know if this solution works for you.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, Roxie, but that seems like just SO much trouble - it's probably easier to just re-customize the toolbar. LOL.

I *do* appreciate the advice, though.

-- Lucy

Lucy,

I'm new to the forum but noticed someone posted that you can go to "Applications" and uncheck "Access."

I don't know what operating system you are using or what "Office" product you have, but I don't believe that "Access" shows up separately from the other Office items (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access). If that is the case, I think you have two choices.

1. You can uncheck Office 97 or Office XP - but that will disable cleaning ALL the Office suite products. This is sort of a sledge hammer approach, deactivating all of Office XP.

2. You can do what I did, but it requires editing the "winapps.ini" file. I'm going to describe how I did this in Windows XP (if you are using something else, let me know).

Go to C:\Program Files\CCleaner. In the list of files, find "winapps.ini" and open it (double click). Scroll down until you see the [Office XP] list. The last key currently looks like this:

RegKey9=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Access\Settings

All you need to do is comment it out by putting a semi-colon at the beginning so the line looks like this:

;RegKey9=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Access\Settings

When you click the "X" to close the window it will ask you if you want to save the changes - say yes, and close the window.

Now, make sure in the CCleaner Applications list that Office XP is still selected.

What you have done is told CCleaner to clean all the Office XP files except Access.

I know that when you open the "winapps.ini" file it says not to edit the file, but this is the onlyway I have found to exclude Access. NOTE: You will have to re-edit this winapps.ini file each time you upgrade CCleaner to the next version since the un-edited file will always be contained in the new release.

As an FYI, and my issue, Access keeps the "Default Data Directory" in the same place it is keeping your personal Toolbar settings. When I ran CCleaner, it kept resetting the default directory (and I keep all my "data" files on a separate drive, which is not where Office defaults. So, each time I started Access after cleaning, I had to reset the Default Data Directory.

Please post and let me know if this solution works for you.