Suggestion: Delete ALL Thumbs.db files !

Don Freijters

Windows XP Makes them hidden and System every time you're viewing with Explorer.

There are completely obsolete, and all together a lot of unnecessarely bytes,

but most of all it's difficult to move complete directories because of messages concerning these files I don't like te use.For picture viewing and sorting I prefer ACDSee, it doesn't need and extra files !

• 4 weeks later...

no! i agree with Don Freijters.

"disabling the cache" and "cleaning the cache" are different needs.

an option providing the deletion of all/some thumbnail.db files would be excellent.

regards...

• 1 year later...

Dear folks at Piriform,

it would make sense! Really!

Sure, you can switch off caching of Thumb files. But only for your local machine. If you have a NAS or if you have a PC within a local network that is used as storage, everyone's machine is storing this fu**ing thumbs.db-files on this machine.

Please make it possible, that Thumbs.db-files are automatically erased!

well, more importantly, the difference between disabling and cleaning is that disabling is 'forever' (until switched back on) and not retroactive. Personally, I do *like* having thumbnails for the files in folders I'm working with, and I like that it doesn't have to re-generate those each time I visit the folder. However, once I'm done working with such a folder, that Thumbs.db file serves no further purpose and can be deleted.

Basically, it should be perfectly possible, technologically, to find all Thumbs.db files -over- a certain age (i.e. hasn't been modified in N days), and delete only those. It's what I currently do manually with Total Commander, but if this were integrated in an already excellent tool - hey, I'm all for it.