AVG Antivirus 7

Anthony A

I have installed the latest version of AVG tonight ( replacing Norton night mare internet security). I was looking through the winapp.ini for the AVG entry and it is huge. 9 different areas to clean out. This is the entry

[Grisoft AVG 7.0]

LangSecRef=3024

Detect=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Grisoft\Avg7

Default=True

FileKey1=%allusersprofile%\Application Data\Grisoft\Avg7Data|*.log

FileKey2=%allusersprofile%\Application Data\Grisoft\Avg7Data\upd7bin|*.*

FileKey3=%allusersprofile%\Application Data\Grisoft\Avg7Data\$history|*.*

FileKey4=%allusersprofile%\Application Data\Grisoft\Avg7Data\avg7upd|*.log

FileKey5=%windir%\All Users\Application Data\Grisoft\Avg7Data\upd7bin|*.*

FileKey6=%windir%\All Users\Application Data\Grisoft\Avg7Data\avg7upd|$history

FileKey7=%windir%\All Users\Application Data\Grisoft\Avg7Data\avg7upd|*.log

FileKey8=%windir%\All Users\Application Data\Grisoft\Avg7Data|*.log

FileKey9=%windir%\Application Data\AVG7\Log|*.log

I tried to follow the paths to the files manually and I can't understand how they are written. All the logs for AVG I found were in c/documents and settings/ all users/application data/griftsoft. Open the griftsoft folder and there are several entries and sub folders that contain logs. It doesn't look like the paths listed in the winapp.ini.

What does %windir% and %allusersprofile% mean?

I would like to go look at each of those paths separately if I could understand them :blink::D

%windir% and %allusersprofile% are so called "environment variables".

%windir% is a variable that points to the directory which Windows is installed to, this is usually C:\WINDOWS or C:\WINNT.

%allusersprofile% points to a directory where stuff shared by all profiles are placed, this is usually C:\Documents and Settings\All Users

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

%windir% and %allusersprofile% are so called "environment variables".

%windir% is a variable that points to the directory which Windows is installed to, this is usually C:\WINDOWS or C:\WINNT.

%allusersprofile% points to a directory where stuff shared by all profiles are placed, this is usually C:\Documents and Settings\All Users

OK, %allusersprofile% I found those entries in documents and settings/all users/application data.

As for the entries with %windir%, if that stands for Windows directory than these paths do not exist on my computer

FileKey5=%windir%\All Users\Application Data\Grisoft\Avg7Data\upd7bin|*.*

FileKey6=%windir%\All Users\Application Data\Grisoft\Avg7Data\avg7upd|$history

FileKey7=%windir%\All Users\Application Data\Grisoft\Avg7Data\avg7upd|*.log

FileKey8=%windir%\All Users\Application Data\Grisoft\Avg7Data|*.log

FileKey9=%windir%\Application Data\AVG7\Log|*.log

I went into c:/windows and there is no All Users or Application Data path to follow from that directory.

Also there are more logs in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users than listed in that winapp.ini. The ones that are listed in the winapp.ini with %windir% are actually in the %allusersprofile% path.

Windows XP SP2.

I guess some of the entries are for Windows 95/98/ME since C:\Documents and Settings\ does not exist under those systems.

*.log is a wildcard that delete all files that end with the .log extension.

*.* is a wildcard that deletes all files of any extension.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

Did a few definition updates and ran a few scans with AVG to create some logs. I than ran CCleaner and cleaned everything but AVG. I than checked marked AVG and ran analyze with CCleaner so only the AVG data would show up. Take a look. Those paths don't look like the ones in the winapp.ini.

avgpiclh2.th.jpg

Did a few definition updates and ran a few scans with AVG to create some logs. I than ran CCleaner and cleaned everything but AVG. I than checked marked AVG and ran analyze with CCleaner so only the AVG data would show up. Take a look. Those paths don't look like the ones in the winapp.ini.

avgpiclh2.th.jpg

Anthony A,

I have seen all of this and I was a little concerned, so I wrote Grisoft and they said "under no circumstances clean these areas". Now they may or may not know what they are talking about, but I have never wanted to take the chance of cleaning them. With the size of hard dirves today, space is really not that much of a quetion and I did not want to take the chance.

I know that I could get flamed for this response, but thought I would pass along what they said.

Have a good day,

Normandie

Anthony A,

I have seen all of this and I was a little concerned, so I wrote Grisoft and they said "under no circumstances clean these areas". Now they may or may not know what they are talking about, but I have never wanted to take the chance of cleaning them. With the size of hard dirves today, space is really not that much of a quetion and I did not want to take the chance.

I know that I could get flamed for this response, but thought I would pass along what they said.

Have a good day,

Normandie

Well that concerns me and I'm sure that the experts on this forum will get to the bottom of this.

When I first installed CCleaner I checked off each application one at a time and ran analyze to see what it found. I than followed the paths to see what was there. After I learned about winapp.ini and actually added Ewido 4 to CCleaner that way. So when I installed AVG a few days ago I looked a the winapp.ini entries and they don't look right. Some of the entries are not logs and there are logs in the AVG folders that are not targeted by CCleaner. So until this is cleared up I will not check off AVG.

One thing to keep in mind though is AVG Free is very popular and there are many users. I have not red of one instance of CCleaner damaging AVG. I am new to AVG and have not spent much time on thier forum but I will do some searches and maybe post some questions there.

Just for your info you have to register during the installation of AVG to be able to post on thier forums. It seems you cannot unless you have installed AVG at some point.

Well that concerns me and I'm sure that the experts on this forum will get to the bottom of this.

When I first installed CCleaner I checked off each application one at a time and ran analyze to see what it found. I than followed the paths to see what was there. After I learned about winapp.ini and actually added Ewido 4 to CCleaner that way. So when I installed AVG a few days ago I looked a the winapp.ini entries and they don't look right. Some of the entries are not logs and there are logs in the AVG folders that are not targeted by CCleaner. So until this is cleared up I will not check off AVG.

One thing to keep in mind though is AVG Free is very popular and there are many users. I have not red of one instance of CCleaner damaging AVG. I am new to AVG and have not spent much time on thier forum but I will do some searches and maybe post some questions there.

Just for your info you have to register during the installation of AVG to be able to post on thier forums. It seems you cannot unless you have installed AVG at some point.

Anthony A,

I started off with AVG free and then went to AVG+Firewall, because on the Zonealarm free page, it says that their free firewall did not work on wireless, so I looked for something else & decided if I was going to pay for a firewall, AVG with firewall & virus seemed logical and I do like it. I have had no problems with it.

One of the things if I remember right that CCleaner is going to clean if some of the old virus definitions that have "built up", then I don't remember the rest, but my feelings are if there is any doubt, I have enough disk space to leave them there, so I will.

Have a good day,

Normandie

For what its worth, I've been using AVG Free for 3 years and have been using CCleaner for about two years, and have always had CCleaners AVG box ticked. Its never caused a problem with my AVG.

(And AVG would say don't touch the files wouldn't they, they won't want you tampering with their program and potentially breaking their program regardless of whether its safe to do so)

• Moderators

For what its worth, I've been using AVG Free for 3 years and have been using CCleaner for about two years, and have always had CCleaners AVG box ticked. Its never caused a problem with my AVG.

I have AVG Free v7 installed as a secondary antivirus, and CC hasn't messed it up or anything. If CC was causing problems there would have already been a serious horde of complaints about it, but there hasn't been. So like you I've always had the box checked when it was an unofficial winapp2.ini add-on and now that it's an official add-on which is installed with CC by default.

I should have followed up on this thread when I received this info so I will now. I posted in the official AVG forum and asked about this. I even posted the link to this thread. The moderator there was very short and to the point and said there is no problem with AVG and CCleaner and that he has been using it no problem. Also as I was looking through the forums there and reading up on some of the problems people have with AVG some of the solutions are to clear out certain folders and files. This is especially true for definition update problems. The folders and files that were recommended to be cleaned are actually some of the ones that CCleaner cleans out for you. It looks like regularly using CCleaner with AVG is actually good for AVG.

http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php...8,backpage=2,sv=