Proposed upgrade

Admiral Ross

Hello All!

For the past few hours I've been investigating on upgrades for my current system. Is this worth the trouble upgrading it? Here a list of the following components:

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD4000KDRTL 400GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - Retail

Intel Pentium 4 630 Prescott 3.0GHz LGA 775 EM64T Processor Model BX80547PG3000F - Retail

mushkin 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model 996519 - Retail

This is what I have now Dell XP2/5150c

PROCESSOR, 80551, PENTIUM D SMITHFIELD FOR DESKTOPS, 820, SKT-T, MALE

DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 256, 533, 32X64, 8, 240, 1RX16

HARD DRIVE, 80G, S2, 7.2K, 8MB, LEAD FREE, WD-UNIC

My machines specs are as follows:

Intel? Pentium? 4 5XXX and 6XXX processors with Hyper-Threading technology

Pentium D 8XXX dual core processors (no Hyper-Threading)

Intel Celeron? D processors

16 KB for Pentium 4 5XXX and 6XXX processors and Celeron D processors

2 x 16 KB for Pentium D 8XXX dual core processors

1 MB for Pentium 4 5XXX processors

2 MB for Pentium 4 6XXX processors

2 x 1 MB for Pentium D 8XXX processors

128 KB for Celeron D processors

(depending on your computer configuration) pipelined-burst, eight-way set associative, write-back SRAM

Currently running via siw.exe

Memory Summary

Capacity 512 MBytes

Location System board or motherboard

Maximum Capacity 1024 MBytes

Memory Slots 4

Error Correction None

Name Physical Memory Array

Use System memory

Device Locator Slot 1

Manufacturer Infineon (formerly Siemens)

Part Number 64T32000HU3.7A

Serial Number 03143713

Capacity 256 MBytes

Memory Type DDR2 SDRAM

Speed DDR2-533 (266 MHz)

Data Width 64 bits

Voltage SSTL 1.8V

Error Correction None

Refresh Reduced (.5x)...7.8 ?s

Manufacturing Date 2005, Week 50

EPP SPD Support No

Device Locator Slot 3

Manufacturer Infineon (formerly Siemens)

Part Number 64T32000HU3.7A

Serial Number 0302C926

Capacity 256 MBytes

Memory Type DDR2 SDRAM

Speed DDR2-533 (266 MHz)

Data Width 64 bits

Voltage SSTL 1.8V

Error Correction None

Refresh Reduced (.5x)...7.8 ?s

Manufacturing Date 2005, Week 51

EPP SPD Support No

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to cover all of my bases..:)

Thanks.

Netburst architecture sucks.

Western Digital disks are good, especially the one with 16 mb cache. Note that the one you picked is SATA-150 (SATA I), there exists SATA-300 (SATA II).

Mushkin memory have a good reputation as high performance.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

...... do you want us to tell you what we think of it?? If so, It sucks, Pentiums suck, go for amd and a new mobo right now, or go for the Core Duo 2.

You only have so many options when you're a Dell Prefered Account Holder. For years I've used AMD and they perform beautifily. What I was asking is, this upgrade worth purchasing? The upgrade is only going to produce a marginal speed improvement or not? That's what I'm asking. If I can't get what need from this. Then I'll just finish paying off this account and custom build one later. I got this Dell in a pinch for school. At the time I didn't have the money to build a custom system. Building the system from scratch is the way I usually do it.

Netburst architecture sucks.

Western Digital disks are good, especially the one with 16 mb cache. Note that the one you picked is SATA-150 (SATA I), there exists SATA-300 (SATA II).

Mushkin memory have a good reputation as high performance.

I'm trying to play catch up here. I'm a lil behind the times here. I saw that but wasn't sure if my SATA 150 is directly compatible with SATA 300, meaning the interface. Will my mobo support it? Chipset Intel 945G Express.

In my personal opinion I'm starting to think this was a bad purchase. I'm finding that my upgrade options are narrow. More narrow then I originally estimated. But like what I was telling the other guy, I was in a pinch to get something.

Well, SATA-II is backwards compatible with SATA-I. So even if your motherboard supports SATA-I but don't support SATA-II, a SATA-II disk will still work, even though it will work as a SATA-I disk.

I cannot tell whether the upgrade is worth or not.

My opinion about the Netburst architecture isn't positive. :D

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

• 14 years later...
  • Moderators

I doubt whether anyone is still discussing upgrading a 15+ year old Dell 5150. Indeed, I have one slowly returning to its elemental form in the shed.  In the meantime some of us have graduated, married, raised a family, divorced, forged new careers, retired or died, as well as voting out George W Bush and Tony Blair (but not Mr Putin). And bought new kit. This smells of spam (why do spammers pick such old threads?) so your recommendation has gone the way of the 5150.

• Moderators

Spammer indeed. (Check his IP)

User banned and thread closed.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

Probably spammed because the old hardware is still valid for retro gaming systems for playing games without emulation, and can still be bought as new old stock or even brand new production from certain China websites.