ccleaner stops after about 2 minutes of analysing and has to shut down

lowbrow

Hi,

I'm really keen to try out ccleaner, I've heard good things about it.

however when I click analyze it runs fine then after a couple of minutes an error is created and the program shuts down.

any ideas about this?

any help much appreciated.

welcome to CC.

what exactly do you mean by "an error is created"?

can you post a screenshot of the error?

thanks.

-aaron

yep sure, here you go. to give you an idea of when it appears, it' just after it checks browsers, as a window appears and tells me I have to close any browser windows I have open, otherwise it'll skip it. not sure if that's any help.

post-6833-1157763354_thumb.jpg

what OS are you using?

i havent seen this message before.

im assuming the error log is stored where Ccleaner is stored.

(usually C:\program files\Ccleaner)

could you please check there for the error log?

if its not there, other possible areas would be the desktop or right at C:\

thanks.

what OS are you using?

i havent seen this message before.

im assuming the error log is stored where Ccleaner is stored.

(usually C:\program files\Ccleaner)

could you please check there for the error log?

if its not there, other possible areas would be the desktop or right at C:\

thanks.

I am using windows 2000.

I can't see any error log in any of the places you mentioned I'm afraid. :(

one last try, please see HERE

if that doesnt work, please let me know and i'll PM MrG (the owner of this software) and he can be of more assistance:)

hope to see you around the site!

I found this on the PC World website:

That log is in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\DrWatson, and its name is drwtsn32.log. Double-click it to open it in Notepad, but don't expect it to be much help. Only a tech can decipher its gobbledygook.

I would have figured it would be in the Ccleaner folder like TheFiresInTheSky said.

There were a lot of other theories about the error log and where it is but DrWatson was mentioned more than once. Hopefully this will help.

You mentioned browsers, which one do you use?

For example if you use Firefox you must close it before running ccleaner.

That's a good point. I was looking at the screenshot of the error message he posted. I was thinking closing or not closing the browser wouldn't cause the Program Error because on my PC Ccleaner continues either way and simply skips cleaning the specific browser related files if the browser is not closed.

But I have XP and he's using Windows 2000 so that could be a big difference.

lowbrow, could you let us know which browser you are using and if closing the browser or leaving it open [or both] causes the second error message to appear?

I forgot to mention in my previous post that you may be able to see what's causing the error by looking in Event Viewer to see if there's any information about the error and what may have caused it.

Using Event Viewer in Windows 2000

I use Firefox mainly but also IE. I have tried it with the browsers closed and the same thing happens.

Hi,

If you run CCleaner with the command line parameter /debug then it will display a message box before it performs each action. Can you let me know what the last message box says before it crashes?

MrG

sorry how do I get the command line parameter/debug up? I can't see anything in options.

thanks for all your help so far everyone! :)

go to start, run.

type this in the box then press OK.

"C:\Program Files\CCleaner\ccleaner.exe" /debug

you may need to change that to the folder that Ccleaner is in if its not in that folder.

well that is all too comlicated for my computer illiterate self, so I just analyzed and cleaned every part seperately.

turns out it's when I scan temporary files in system that the error occurs. as I have said, the program just shuts down completely.

any ideas how I fix this problem?

thanks. :D

it may work since nothing would be using the temporary files i dont think.

when you start your computer, keep pressing F8.

it will eventually come up with some options and you just go down to safe mode and press enter.

simple as that :)

Yes, you should. Reboot the computer and press F8 about... 4 times BEFORE the Wondows Xp load screen appears.

it may work since nothing would be using the temporary files i dont think.

when you start your computer, keep pressing F8.

it will eventually come up with some options and you just go down to safe mode and press enter.

simple as that :)

Aaron you beat me :P
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8