hitching tv to pc

hey guys. i got me a ati all in wonder 9800 pro 128mb. im trying to hook it to the pc so i can watch stuff from my computer onto my tv. any ideas of the physical process involved? i think i hitched all the cables right, but dont know what to do now! how do i drag or transfer or teleport or whatever movies onto that screen? arrrghghgh!

Do you mean playing a movie on the TV while doing something else on the computer? If so, there should be a video player that was installed when you installed the software and drivers for the card. It's called the Ati Multimedia Center.

Also, check to make sure TV display is enabled. After it is is enabled you should be able to open the Multimedia Center and play the movie with File Player. These instructions are from the Ati All In Wonder 9800 Pro Website.

To enable and disable the television display

1 Click Start, point to Settings, then click Control Panel.

2 Double-click Display, then click the Settings tab.

3 Click the Advanced button, then click the Displays tab.

4 Click the green enable/disable button next to the word "TV" to enable/disable television display.

5 Click OK or Apply to save the changes you have made.

For information about how to use television display and the ATI Displays Properties page, click the Help button.

Starting the ATI Multimedia Center From LaunchPad.

The LaunchPad provides a convenient way to start all your Multimedia Center

features — just click the one you want. LaunchPad opens

automatically when you start your computer, or if you prefer,

you can right-click LaunchPad, and uncheck Load on Startup

in the drop-down menu to disable this feature.

From Windows taskbar.

1 In the Windows taskbar, click Start, then point at Programs .

2 Point at ATI Multimedia Center , then select CDAudio, DVD, File Player, LaunchPad, Library, TV, VideoCD, or Configuration.

The first time you launch TV, you must complete the Initialization Wizard, which guides you through setting up TV. After that, the Wizard will not run unless you want to re-run it.

For information on the ATI Multimedia Center, see the online help.

I heard that the ATI device drivers are dumb and bloated.

I also heard that nVidia used to have pretty good drivers, but in the last version they are bloated like ATI's.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

Do you mean playing a movie on the TV while doing something else on the computer? If so, there should be a video player that was installed when you installed the software and drivers for the card. It's called the Ati Multimedia Center.

Also, check to make sure TV display is enabled. After it is is enabled you should be able to open the Multimedia Center and play the movie with File Player. These instructions are from the Ati All In Wonder 9800 Pro Website.

To enable and disable the television display

4 Click the green enable/disable button next to the word "TV" to enable/disable television display.

5 Click OK or Apply to save the changes you have made.

For information about how to use television display and the ATI Displays Properties page, click the Help button.

Starting the ATI Multimedia Center From LaunchPad.

The LaunchPad provides a convenient way to start all your Multimedia Center

features ? just click the one you want. LaunchPad opens

automatically when you start your computer, or if you prefer,

you can right-click LaunchPad, and uncheck Load on Startup

in the drop-down menu to disable this feature.

From Windows taskbar.

1 In the Windows taskbar, click Start, then point at Programs .

2 Point at ATI Multimedia Center , then select CDAudio, DVD, File Player, LaunchPad, Library, TV, VideoCD, or Configuration.

The first time you launch TV, you must complete the Initialization Wizard, which guides you through setting up TV. After that, the Wizard will not run unless you want to re-run it.

For information on the ATI Multimedia Center, see the online help.

Hi Mike,

I did all that stuff already, but im not sure how to actually play the movies on the tv. like do i put it on a certain channel, or do i have to configure something? the card came with about 4 install cds which i did, but i dont know where to go from there. i can watch tv on my pc-which is neat but not what i want to do-but what i cant figure out is how to make the tv a second monitor and/or play movies on it. its all hitched up right as far as i can tell. i just dont know how to configure. hmmmmmmm.

eldmann, you need a happy pill my friend. :)

If you have an ancient TV like some of mine, you probably need to put it on channel 3. More modern ones will often have a "channel" called AV input, auxillary input, line in, or something like that. It may be where channel 0 or channel 1 would be. Basically, you would put the cable from your video card into the input where you would connect a VCR cable to the TV. If you have a VCR already connected, you could put the cable from the video card into the input on the VCR, where the antenna or the cable connection is now.

Just to be sure, you should now have 2 cables coming out of the Ati card, one that goes to the monitor and one that goes to the TV.

Hope that helps, if not let me know. I'll be here on and off most of the evening. Good Luck :) !

BTW, what are these happy pills you speak of?! I need one at least as much as Eldmannen does!

thanks Mike. i think you dumbed it down for me. i just finished a ten hour night shift so my brain is mush, but will try that later.

as for happy pills, i dont really know, but they would be worth a fortune!

i just hook mine up through s-video, or component, depending on which tv i choose, i run it out of one of my 7800 gts, go to properties, set it up, then drag the movie to the left, of my monitor and im good to go. FTW

do you have your tv on a certain channel? i receive my tv signal via a coaxial cable that is run by my telephone company. it plugs in like a normal cable company tv signal cord, but i have to use their specific remote to turn on the television and receive the channels. does that make sense?

when i drag my mouse to the right side of the screen, it disappears, but it doesnt reappear on the tv-which is what im looking to do-or at least have a window or something to transfer video or whatever onto.

but i still have to try mikes solution. ill check back in in a bit. :)

the easiest way is to use S-video.

go to settings in the control pannel.

make it like dual monitor then the video could easily be played on there.

worked for me..

Ok i figured it out it seems! Heres what i did if anyone is interested:

Ok, i have three tvs in my home-one upstairs, one downstairs and one in the garage. so each tv has a coaxial cable going to the back of it, and has a unique remote-which changes channels via a small antenna on the back of each tv (with an input through the cable).

each remote requires the tv to be on a separate channel to operate (upstairs channel 4, downstairs channel 8, garage channel 12).

my tv is brand new (cheap brand 32" Symphonic-250 canadian-cheap). but i just bought it a couple of weeks ago, because the 27" i had (that is now in the garage) was about 6 years old, and had NO inputs whatsoever other than coaxial cable input.

so anyhoo, the remote that came with the tv has a button called "GAME" on it. to be honest i havent read the instruction book for the TV, so i didnt (still dont?) know what that button is for. but i got frustrated and started pressing each button and VOILA! it switched the tv screen from cartoons (that me and the kiddos were watching-i know, i know, im lame) to my desktop! i was so excited! good times are upon us!

thanks again for all your help guys! once again a simple solution to an annoying problem. btw, i started trying out the buttons after trying out different channels on the tv, because i was so sure it was just a simple adjustment that needed to be done as i had connected the cables as per the directions. :)

thanks for your help guys! mike, your suggestion kind of set me on the path! thanks again!

(now its time to figure out how to hitch up the video camera to the computer- :0)