Custom PC

par0x

Hey, im building a custom pc and im wondering what i'd specifcly need, so could anyone post a list?

or help me find some good but cheap hardware from scan.co.uk

I dont need you to find -

DVD-RW http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo...roductID=444709

Floppy Drive http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo...ProductID=83316

Hard Drive http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo...roductID=345219

Keyboard and Mouse http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo...roductID=166002

Case http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo...roductID=221902

Also could you help with finding a CPU which works with a motherboard, i seen a intel celeron D but i duno wot motherboard it works with, so if you could ind atleast a 3ghz cpu that would be good thanx

CHEAP BUT GOOD

It is better for you to buy a OEM computer since you seem to have no clue about computer hardware.

If you don't know what components are needed for a computer, then building one isn't for you.

You also seem to believe that a computer with higher clock frequency (GHz) means that it will perform better than one with slower frequency.

If you want a cheap computer, then AMD has really low prices on their processors nowadays.

Personally, I would go with an Intel Core Due (Conroe) due to that it is a very good processor.

Don't go with an Intel Celeron D as it uses the Netburst architecture which sucks, it uses huge amount of power, produces huge amounts of heat and performs horrible.

You can say cheap but good, but how much are you willing to spend and what do you intend to use it for?

Nobody sane would buy a Celeron D, Pentium 4 or anything based on the Netburst architecture, except fools who don't know anything about a computer, see its 3 GHz go ZOMG! then buy a inferior processor that produces much heat, is difficult to cool, has sucky performance and drains power.

AMD Sempron is cheap and decent. But AMD Athlon and Intel Core Duo are both better even though more expensive. But the Core Duo has performance. A Core Duo at 1,8 GHz will outperform any Celerion 3 GHz any day, anytime, anyplace while still being cool enough to overclock it to 3 GHz on air, and still use much less power and generate much less heat.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

• Moderators

Eldmannen its obvious that they are trying to learn. Would you rather they go to dell and get a piece of crap? ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parox,

First you need to tell us how much your willing to spend.(US dollars)

What you want to do with this computer.(high end gaming?)

Well, this guy probably wouldn't be able to build one anyways.

If he wish to build a computer, he needs to know what he wants and what he needs and which parts are good. He should read up some on computer hardware, so he knows what is L1/L2/L3 cache, a core, a bus, PCI/PCI-Express/AGP, DDR/DDR2, a socket, FSB, etc.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

80x15_3.png

I build my own computer. I found a site and it's good for those who don't know how to build one. You can add-on here and get a good PC cheap.

Link

You can go to Tigerdirect or Newegg to buy the Moniter.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

Wikibooks has information on how to build a computer and select parts and assemble it.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_To_Assemble_A_Desktop_PC

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Computer_Hardware

For some... that takes time that some don't have... :unsure: But good link and resourse though :)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition | COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 with 4 120mm Blue LED FANS 1 Regular 120MM FAN and a Custom Window Side Panel | AMD Athlon II x4 2.6GHZ Stock| XIGMATEK HDT-S963 92mm | ASRock A780GXE/128 | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) @800MHZ | CF 2 XFX 4850 1GB @GPU940/MEM1005 | 320GB/OS 160GB/Storage HDDs | LG CD/DVD SATA | Rosewill 600W 2 12v Rail@44 | Ccleaner, Defraggler | Malwarebytes', SUPERAnti-Spyware | Avira AntiVir Personal | Google Chrome v3/4, IE8

For some... that takes time that they some don't have... :unsure: But good link and resourse though :)

Well to build a computer you need knowledge, if you don't have knowledge then you don't know how to build a computer, and therefor cant. So you either have to get that knowledge which does indeed take some time, or buy a pre-built computer.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

80x15_3.png

• Moderators

Wikibooks has information on how to build a computer and select parts and assemble it.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_To_Assemble_A_Desktop_PC

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Computer_Hardware

See it wasn't so hard to be nice and give out some good info. :)

For some... that takes time that they some don't have... :unsure: But good link and resourse though :)

But I think this person it wanting to build a pc from scratch, which is why they are asking for parts information. ;)

Well to build a computer you need knowledge, if you don't have knowledge then you don't know how to build a computer, and therefor cant. So you either have to get that knowledge which does indeed take some time, or buy a pre-built computer.

Wow.... I actually agree with something you said....

(I must be getting sick. :P) :D

Anyway par0x you need to answer those questions from my first post and then we can recommend you some parts. :)

I would be happy to do some searching on TigerDiect or Newegg. For the PC you want. Just give me detailed specs. on what you want. Either a gamer, Home user or a business user. Give me the specs. and I'll search.

This is actually the best deal I have seen so far. It's my opinion but hey... its good!

Wow!

1. Eldmannen you don't need to take the mick 3 ghz omgz'. You wouldn't like to be talked to like that would you.

Ok, well my step dad does know alot about computer hardware and building custom pcs but i want to find out what i need myself, like using a program such as adobe photoshop like me whcih i use, i had no clue about it and i ended up knowning how to use it completely. i know adobe and programs isnt the same as bulding a pc but im trying to say somthing firmiliar as such as leaning how to do and use things.

Ok, I will mainly use a pc for gaming and photoshopping (adobe photoshop) with the budget of ?300 / ?350.

Somthing like 2.5ghz is good,but i can only get from www.scan.co.uk which is a bit of a disappointment as my mum dont let me buy online, i could maybe talk her into it.

I will build it with help but while i get help, i will learn, like reading tutorials, they help you learn.

+ I'll be install Vista when it's released.

Well gaming and budget don't go hand-in-hand. Often games (especially the latest) needs expensive hardware. Example for 3D games, a good graphics card might be needed and those cost.

?300-350 is cheap, you wont get no performance monster with that, and you wont be able to play the latest games, especially not in high resolution, high details or with anti aliasing.

Clock frequency (GHz) isn't a reliable way to tell how fast a computer is. Architecture and instructions per CPU cycle is important. A 2 GHz processor might very well outperform a 3 GHz processor if they are different type of processors.

Now note that Vista is a very resource hogging operating system, as far as I know it needs a fast computer with huge amounts of RAM, and maybe even a good graphics card. Furthermore it contains many features which are not to the benefit to the user, but actually to restrict the user.

If I were you, with that budget I would probably buy an AMD Sempron, they're cheap and performs better than Intel Celeron. Then try get 1 gb RAM. Don't expect too much gaming on a rig in that price class though.

I would buy AMD Sempron, a cheap motherboard with integrated network chipset and sound chipset.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

80x15_3.png

Well gaming and budget don't go hand-in-hand. Often games (especially the latest) needs expensive hardware. Example for 3D games, a good graphics card might be needed and those cost.

Now note that Vista is a very resource hogging operating system, as far as I know it needs a fast computer with huge amounts of RAM, and maybe even a good graphics card. Furthermore it contains many features which are not to the benefit to the user, but actually to restrict the user.

I've read that Vista will require a high end graphics card as part of its basic requirements because one of the major features MS integrated into Vista is more advanced graphics rendering. If you don't have a compatible graphics card you may not be able to see the graphics as they are meant to be or worse it may slow down performance.

I'm sorry I don't remember where I read that so I don't have a link but if I run into it again I'll post it in this thread.

So it looks like if you want to run advanced games and Vista you will need to spend some money on a good video card.

Thanks, Eld, and the rest, Does cache on the CPU matter? such as i seen a AMD Sempron specificly this one but has no price (gotta call) http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo...roductID=268853

and this one http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo...roductID=250181 is what ill possibly go for. But 1 thing i asked is will this CPU work with any other motherboard.

Yes, cache as everything matters. I am not so sure of the importance though. Some say it is important, some say it is not. Last benchmark I saw, the difference was minimal.

With those CPU's you need a motherboard with a matching socket. They are for Socket754. So you need a motherboard that are for Socket754.

Since you are going for a budget PC, be sure the motherboard has an integrated network chipset, and an integrated sound chipset, that way you don't have to spend money buying sound and network card, and therefor you will save money.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

80x15_3.png

Yes, when you buy a CPU it will say how fast it is, how much cache it has, and for what socket it is. Then you need a motherboard for the same socket.

If you motherboard dont have network and sound chipset, then you need buy a network and sound card which will cost some more. :(

Maybe you can goto another store?

firefoxblue4yw.gif

80x15_3.png

If you want a cheap computer, then AMD has really low prices on their processors nowadays.

Personally, I would go with an Intel Core Due (Conroe) due to that it is a very good processor.

Eldamnnen --- be careful... the Intel Core 2 Duo is conroe, while the Intel Core Duo isn't.

Those two things look fine. However, if you can convince your mom to order online, TigerDirect.com, NewEgg.com, ZipZoomFly.com, and others have really good deals, plus have really high customer ratings and are secure.

I'd be wary of a AMD Sempron 64 - they aren't very powerful - almost like the Celeron's - consider them a value processor. I'd highly suggest getting a bigger budge and investing in a Core 2 Duo. MUCH more powerful, very stable, and will last a very long time. Tiger Direct - Core 2 Duo's

My realitve just built a system with a Core 2 Extreme, with either a 7900 or 7950 GX2, and 2GB's of RAM, and it's stable as anything, and oh-so-powerful. His friend though had to spend $3600 on it, but it will last a long time. Anandtech.com has a review, and it proves that the processors destroy any AMD processor out there, including the newest FX-61.

What I'm saying is if you spend a decent amount of money now, you'll have a stable system for the future.

AJ

Eldamnnen --- be careful... the Intel Core 2 Duo is conroe, while the Intel Core Duo isn't.

Yes, you are right about that. That is what I meant. I was aware of the fact though, but seems I wrote wrong on the post.

Those two things look fine. However, if you can convince your mom to order online, TigerDirect.com, NewEgg.com, ZipZoomFly.com, and others have really good deals, plus have really high customer ratings and are secure.

I'd be wary of a AMD Sempron 64 - they aren't very powerful - almost like the Celeron's - consider them a value processor. I'd highly suggest getting a bigger budge and investing in a Core 2 Duo. MUCH more powerful, very stable, and will last a very long time. Tiger Direct - Core 2 Duo's

My realitve just built a system with a Core 2 Extreme, with either a 7900 or 7950 GX2, and 2GB's of RAM, and it's stable as anything, and oh-so-powerful. His friend though had to spend $3600 on it, but it will last a long time. Anandtech.com has a review, and it proves that the processors destroy any AMD processor out there, including the newest FX-61.

What I'm saying is if you spend a decent amount of money now, you'll have a stable system for the future.

AJ

Yes, the Core 2 processor is the best choice, I would also recommend it. The Sempron is a budget processor, as is the Celeron, the Sempron performs better though. A $3600 computer would be kickass, though its about 10 times this guys budget.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

80x15_3.png

Here's an amazingly through article on the Core 2 Duo's - Anandtech - The Empire Strikes Back

After reading that, and myself wanting to build my own PC, I'm thinking of gettting an E6600, for the fact it can be clocked up to 4 GHz and is still stable.

Oh ya - my case that I got for free - my dad brought it home - Silverstone Tek - I have the silver one with the window - Good pic of silver case with window

A review of it: Anandtech - Silverstone TJ05

AJ