Kaspersky Internet Security Problem

Mike Albert

All,

I run Kaspersky Internet Security (KIS) (at www.kaspersky.com). This morning I ran ccleaner. I then noticed that KIS said I needed to reboot to install some updates, so I rebooted. After the reboot KIS was broken: several of the components would not start.

After some poking around on the Kaspersky forum I found that the problem was that when KIS requests a reboot, it leaves something around to be run when the PC restarts. Ccleaner blows that stuff away, so the KIS update is only partially accomplished, and things go downhill from there. This problem is apparently well known on the kaspersky forum (see http://tinyurl.com/eprdc).

After some false starts and with help from the Kaspersky forum, I was able to fix the problem by uninstalling and then reinstalling Kaspersky.

It would be great if ccleaner would avoid killing the information that completes the KIS update. I'd rather not have to remember the special cases in which ccleaner does damage. I spent a few hours today killing this problem when I had much better things to do.

Thanks,

Mike

• Moderators

Do you have CCleaner set to auto clean in:

Options -> Settings -> Run CCleaner when computer starts

or was it just by normally running CCleaner.

Such information can help the CCleaner developer figure out if it's a conflict with Kaspersky.

Do you have CCleaner set to auto clean in:

Options -> Settings -> Run CCleaner when computer starts

or was it just by normally running CCleaner.

I don't have autoclean enabled. I just run ccleaner manually once a week. In this case I ran ccleaner for the weekly cleanup. Kaspersky had automatically updated it's threat signatures. Occasionally completing the installation of new signatures requires a reboot, as in this case. When I saw that a reboot was needed, I did it. After the reboot Kaspersky was broken.

Mike

rridgely,

I don't understand what you're asking.

Kaspersky looks for updates continuously, and (the way I've configured it) applies the updates silently when it sees them. In this case Kaspersky had received an update, but that update required that the user reboot to complete the update operation. In this case I ran ccleaner after Kaspersky had received the update that required the reboot. I then rebooted, and saw that Kaspersky was then broken. It was healthy before the reboot.

Does that answer your question?

Mike

• Moderators

Thats why then. Never run ccleaner in between times when something is waiting for a reboot to update. The program is storing its files in a temp file and when ccleaner wipes them out it destroys the program.(this goes for all programs not just kaspersky). There isn't really anything ccleaner can do to prevent this(unless you uncheck cleaning temp files or wherever KAV saves its temp files).

There isn't really anything ccleaner can do to prevent this(unless you uncheck cleaning temp files or wherever KAV saves its temp files).

Well, it could avoid trashing files or registry entries that perform the KIS update. Generally speaking, the point of ccleaner is to remove things that aren't needed. It's supposed to know enough about the registry keys and files used by various applications so it can avoid breaking them, no matter when it is run. These deletions break KIS.

Mike

• Moderators

CCleaner doesn't work that way. It basically cleans everything in the folders that its told to clean(it doesn't exclude certain files). Any program that cleans up temp files would have caused the problems you had. CCleaner won't mess up anything in KAV as long as you don't run it before rebooting when it tells you to for an update.(and this goes for ALL programs that ask you to reboot to update)

Basically you should never do anything but reboot when a program tells you to. Unless your working on a document then you should save it first and then reboot. This is just the way windows works.