CCleaner and Chrome

Willy2

Recently I noticed that in CC the amount of options for removing obsolete / temporary files created by Chrome have been reduced / halved. See the picture. Inside the red rectangle there are 11 options. But I clearly recall that in some previous version of CC there were more options the user was able to select. That confused me because there were so many options to be selected that I just ticked randomly a number of boxes. Then I always hoped I wouldn't cause too much damage to Chrome. In that regard I do appreciate this reduction of the amount boxes. I also noticed that this also happened to the cleaning options of MS Edge.

Can anyone confirm that here the developers of CC indeed have combined a number of cleaning options for Chrome - in previous versions of CC - in/under fewer options ? Or is now CC simply ignoring A LOT OF cleaning options by not showing and therefore not allowing the user to select these options ?

Don't get me wrong. I certainly do appreciate if with one option (e.g. "Chrome Internet cache") multiple Chrome caches can be cleaned because it reduces the amount of confusion surrounding all these options. In that regard this combining of multiple cleaning options certainly will help /has helped to make the program more user friendly.

image.png

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

I have another question related to the usage of Google Chrome. See the picture attached.

I usually use CC every say 1 or 2 days. Recently I decided to wait more days before cleaning all the temporary files of e.g. Chrome. To my surprise CC found - over the course of say 5 days - more than 4.800 temporary files or more than 500 MB of temporary files (black arrow). Is this normal for a program called Chrome to create this large amount of temporary files ?

To be honest: REAL PLAYER (RP) also has adapted the Chrome style of storing temporary files and RP also seems to suffer from the same "disease". RP also created a surprisingly large amount of temporary files in the same timeframe (more than 370 MB). See the red arrows.

(CC reports the same amount of files to be cleaned for RP twice because CC has 2 entries for RP. See the 2 blue arrows.)

image.png

Some more thoughts about this issue:

- In the picture above the 2 entries for REAL Player (RP) don't clean the same amount of files and therefore report a different total size of files to be cleaned. I simply would take the "build-in" script for the 2nd entry and use it for the 1st entry as well. This assumes that the script for "RP 20" targets the same folders & files as the 2nd script for RP. Needs more attention from the developers of CC.

- In the picture above CC shows 2 entries for "Faststone Capture", yet CC only shows one entry in the list on the right hand side. Odd, very odd. Needs more investigation on why this happens.

- There is a difference between whether or not RP is running or not. In the picture above CC says that it can clean more than 370 MB of temporary RP related files when RP is not running. But when RP is running then CC (wihtout closing RP) reported that only some 230 MB (when I remember correctly but still A LOT) of temporary files can be cleaned. Odd, very odd. Also needs some more attention for the developers of CC.

The entries with an asterisk (*) are from the Winapp2.ini file, these clean up more files than the entries built directly into CCleaner. Therefore, it may happen that an entry built into CCleaner does not find anything to clean, but the entry from the Winapp2.ini file does.

The entries for Google Chrome were not reduced, you probably miss the many additional entries of the Winapp2.ini file.