CC Updater Destroy your Bluetooth? READ THIS (2023 Update)

BadSmurf

Here is the problem:

The issue with the update is that it alters the code in a way that causes the system to fail to recognize the Bluetooth chip. Instead, the system sees an unknown device that is not communicating properly, resulting in a message indicating an error code 43. 

This error is typically encountered when Device Manager disables a hardware device due to an unspecified problem that it has reported to Windows.

Why none of the solutions work:

In a nutshell, your computer thinks you have no more Bluetooth chip so changing drivers, turning services or anything short of a complete reinstall works.

Here is the solution:

A simplified version is as follows (I found that it was not necessary to drain the laptop battery completely):

1) Perform a hard shut-down by holding the shift key is held down whilst selecting Windows Shut Down
2) Ensure your computer is unplugged
3) Hold down the power key for 93 seconds. That's 90, which is the maximum recommended elsewhere plus 3 to make sure it is over 90!
4) Press the power key briefly to start your computer
5) Allow it to start fully.

If you open Device Manager (e.g. right click Windows Key -> Device Manager or from the Control Panel), you should now see that the Bluetooth section has reappeared and there are no Unknown USB devices in the USB section. This means that your Bluetooth is now working again.

This apparently works by disconnecting the power (even residual power) from relevant chips which mean that they re-establish communications from scratch when you restart.

Sources:
"According to a thread on the Microsoft Community forum (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bluetooth-not-working-usb-device-descriptor/2af8f09f-ce33-47f8-a42a-1b55e8cf60fd), some users have reported issues with their Bluetooth not working and receiving an error message regarding a USB device descriptor. The thread includes several suggestions for resolving the issue, including updating drivers and resetting the Bluetooth adapter."

"According to a thread on the Microsoft Community forum (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bluetooth-disappered-from-device-manager-with/fd246f79-c31c-40a2-a0a1-5660e0e07cfc), some users have reported that the Bluetooth device has disappeared from their Device Manager after a Windows update. The thread includes several suggestions for resolving the issue, including running the hardware troubleshooter and reinstalling the Bluetooth driver."

• Admin

@BadSmurf: Could you please clarify in what manner this relates to CCleaner? 

Your subject title seems to refer to CCleaner's automatic update (which updates CCleaner itself and nothing else, so would not touch anything to do with Bluetooth), but the content is talking about Windows Update.

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

• Moderators

Perhaps this was part one below ( he may be  referring  to 2023 being the updated info on the issue)

https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/63505-ccleaner-driver-updater-ruined-my-bluetooth/ 

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Thank you hazelnut for the help with the clarification. (apologies for the cantankerous post style, haven't posted in forums for a while)

Could you please clarify in what manner this relates to CCleaner? 

CCleaners automatic update feature (specifically regarding Bluetooth drivers) was the method I used to install the 'updated' bluetooth driver'. There was no warning that this function could lead to such a fail in the system.

Your subject title seems to refer to CCleaner's automatic update (which updates CCleaner itself and nothing else, so would not touch anything to do with Bluetooth), but the content is talking about Windows Update.

To clarify, I was referring to the Driver Updater (which I inferred was pretty automatic in itself). Also, the content is how to fix the problem, and I cite where I found the solution(s) so that other people could check my work in case it didn't work for them, as the solutions presented within the CCleaner forums will not work.

• 4 months later...

Bonjour, j’ai installé hier la version PRO+ de Ccleaner et depuis la fonction Bluetooth a disparu !?  .Je rame depuis une dizaine d’heures pour la rétablir, .. sans succès !!

Je viens de découvrir votre Help Center Plus et je constate que  je ne suis pas le seul dans le cas.

J’ai 80 ans passés et je n’ai pas l’envie de parcourir tous ces commentaires pour y déceler une solution hypothétique solution.

Pourriez-vous, svp, me communiquer une solution claire et efficace pour résoudre ce problème ???

Merci d’avance

1 hour ago, spaa said:

Bonjour, j’ai installé hier la version PRO+ de Ccleaner et depuis la fonction Bluetooth a disparu !?  .Je rame depuis une dizaine d’heures pour la rétablir, .. sans succès !!

Je viens de découvrir votre Help Center Plus et je constate que  je ne suis pas le seul dans le cas.

J’ai 80 ans passés et je n’ai pas l’envie de parcourir tous ces commentaires pour y déceler une solution hypothétique solution.

Pourriez-vous, svp, me communiquer une solution claire et efficace pour résoudre ce problème ???

Merci d’avance

Alas there doesn’t seem to be a solution for some users other than clean installing Windows & not allowing CCleaner to update the Bluetooth driver.

Does the Bluetooth card show under device manager? If not then check further under View>Show hidden devices.
You should be able to roll back the driver using CCleaner or within device manager. You can even install an older driver via device manager.

Hélas, il ne semble pas y avoir de solution pour certains utilisateurs autre que l'installation propre de Windows et le fait de ne pas autoriser CCleaner à mettre à jour le pilote Bluetooth.

La carte Bluetooth s'affiche-t-elle dans le gestionnaire de périphériques ? Si ce n'est pas le cas, vérifiez davantage sous Affichage> Afficher les périphériques cachés.
Vous devriez pouvoir restaurer le pilote à l'aide de CCleaner ou dans le gestionnaire de périphériques. Vous pouvez même installer un ancien pilote via le gestionnaire de périphériques.

Edited by Bastet
Added French translation.

Virginia/Bastet.
Windows 11 Pro 22H2. CCleaner Pro. MalwareBytes Pro. Defender. Macrium Reflect Home.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...