Recuva installer ceasing to work when lauching installation

Tak

Hello !

I've been trying repeatedly to use rcsetup153.exe to install Recuva on my computer under windows 10.

The installer starts up normally, but no matter what settings I choose (default or any other), it straight up ceases to work whenever I click on the "install" button. And by that I mean the window just closes and I can't find it running even with my task manager. There is not even a single error message, it's like the install button is actually a renamed "quit" button.

And before you ask : no, my antivirus doesn't recognize it as any kind of threat, I checked thoroughly.

If anyone could even just suggest a way to properly diagnose the issue, I'd be very glad already.

Thanks for reading.

• Moderators

Have you tried downloading the installer again? Where did you download it from?

Download it from here and try again: https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva/builds

PS. Despite what you say that behaviour does sound like an AV/AM blocking the install.
So please tell us just what AV, AM, and/or other security you are running.

Also check your app setting to make sure you can install apps other than from the MS store:
image.png

Next- you say:

no matter what settings I choose

which indicates that you are attempting to use a custom install, please give details of what you are setting/changing there.
eg. if you are changing the install location then does the current user have permissions to write files to that location?

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Well, in order :

1. Have been trying several times over the course of the last year, downloading it again every single time.

2. Always from this exact location.

3. I'm using Kaspersky, but it never returned any alert concerning this file, even when I manually started a scan of the file. On the applications management pannel, it says the application is trustworthy. I've also checked the logs of the AV after attempting an install, and there was no mention of any interference.

4. The installation origin is set to "Anywhere".

5. Concerning the installation settings, I did mention in the same sentence that it did the exact same with the default settings. But if that information is necessary, I just tried to install it on another drive than C:. I also tried with both "single user" and "all users" options, the result never varied.

6. Under this session, I have administrator privilege. I have also tried running the installer as administrator, to no avail.

Also something I should have mentioned at first (I only remembered it today) : I've had an installation of Recuva on this PC a few years back. I don't remember why I uninstalled it though...

Could it be that files of the previous install survived and are compromising a new one ?

EDIT : I tried again while simultaneously observing the task manager. It still just pops out of the list of running processes, but this time I took a look at the subprocesses. There is only one (unnamed) while choosing my install settings, but when I hit "Install", a second subprocess named "Windows Problem Reporting" appears shortly before the whole process crashes. I get no notification from Windows though. Would you, by chance, know where I can consult said report (if any was produced) ?

Thanks again.

Edited by Tak
New development

• Moderators

@Tak

Press Windows Start flag and immediately type the words Reliability History (no need to enter the words anywhere as Windows does it all automagically)

Then select torun as admin when it shows, and wait for it to populate.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Did you not see this?
image.png

and then when opened this interface?
image.png

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043