Firefox's (unchecked) internet cache/history get cleared after an update

Hello,

I have been having problem with this for a while now, both for Firefox running on Windows 7 (no longer used), and Firefox running on Windows 11.  In my Firefox cleaning option, I only have "Cookies" and "Compact Databases" checked, but every time there is a CCleaner update, if I click on the "Run Cleaner" immediately, a bunch of things get cleared without being checked including (but not limited to): Internet cache/history, Bookmarks backup.  

What I have tried is that if I notice that was an update, before clicking on "Run Cleaner", I would check and uncheck the things that I don't want clear, and that seem to work.  This seems like a pretty annoying behavior, but I haven't turned up a search result on google/this forum about this problem.  This might not be a widespread behavior?

My setups are:

• Windows 11
  • Firefox 102.9.0esr
  • CCleaner v6.10.10347 (64-bit)
  • My firefox cleaning only checked options are: Cookies, Compact Database
  • My setting's of CCleaner home screen is "Custom clean"

Anyone has an idea?  Thank you.

Edited by Koala6555
clarity

• Koala6555 changed the title to Firefox's (unchecked) internet cache/history get cleared after an update
  • Moderators

Odd, and it's not an issue I've seen brought up before.
So as you say either it's not widespread, or maybe it's just not been noticed before?

PS. is there a particular reason that you are running Firefox 102.9 ESR?
ESR is usually for use in large organisations.

I know that you say you aren't using Health Check, but just to note here for anyone reading -
Health Check does it's own thing using it's own cleaning rules. The ticks/unticks we are talking about here only apply in Custom Clean.

I could understand that an update might possibly reset the Custom Clean settings back to default in certain situations, but if it did that then it should also show the ticks for the default settings.

The fact that it has happened for you across different Windows versions and CCleaner versions  does give me a thought.
Are we talking about more than one machine, or is it the same machine that has had Windows upgraded on it?

It could be interesting to know what happens for you if you close CCleaner following an update, and then re-open it.
Check what is ticked/not ticked then but don't change anything and 'Run Cleaner' to see what it cleans.
(I'm thinking that the update might be reverting to default settings but not changing the ticks unless you open/close, ie. it could be a User Interface/display/graphics issue).

Alternatively this should prevent it from happening:

Do you have "Save all settings to INI file" selected in Options>Advanced?

That saves whatever settings changes you have made in CCleaner to a file called "ccleaner.ini" which is then read-in everytime that you launch CCleaner.
That file is kept across updates, so if the update does change something in the settings then 'ccleaner.ini' should change it back again when you open CCleaner.

image.png

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043