Recoverable deleted and overwritten files w/ CCleaner

I have deleted and used secure file deletion and very complex overwrite with CCleaner Professional several times and also erased free space, for erasing JPEG files, and after downloading RECUVA, I can still recover these erased JPEGs. Why are these erased files still obtainable on my PC? I can't seem to erase them permanently. Wipe Alternate Data Streams & wipe cluster tips was not checked in my erase options. Is this the problem? Thank you.

Edited by Kevin Bordeleau
added info

I have deleted and used secure file deletion and very complex overwrite with CCleaner Professional several times and also erased free space, for erasing JPEG files, and after downloading RECUVA, I can still recover these erased JPEGs. Why are these erased files still obtainable on my PC? I can't seem to erase them permanently. Wipe Alternate Data Streams & wipe cluster tips was not checked in my erase options. Is this the problem? Thank you.

I posted this in the wrong category before. Sorry for that.

• Moderators

Moved and merged

😀

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Is Recuva actually recovering viewable JPEG's, or just recovering a filename with blank data in the actual file?

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

When it's doing that the only other alternative is to use Wipe Free Space, although it isn't really all that feasible on modern 1TB and larger HDDs since it will literally seem to take forever if the disk isn't already very full.

• Moderators

I have never known overwritten files (that's what secure deletion and wipe free space does) to be recoverable - if the overwriting has actually taken place. If files are still being seen, and recovered, then they must be:

1) Small (under say 700 bytes) and held in the MFT and WFS hasn't wiped the MFT

2) Are actually live files which are now occupying the space the deleted files were

3) Were never actually overwritten in the first place

I ran some tests a few years ago and found that WFS can miss some files. It appears that on a heavily fragmented disk, with many smallish unallocated spaces between files, the file allocation that WFS does is too large to catch these spaces (WFS allocates zero-byte files and then deletes them, thus overwriting free space).

There may be other reasons that I can't think of.

What does the Info pane of Recuva say about these deleted files? Just one or two would do.

Can you overwrite these files in Recuva? Just one or two would do.

• Moderators

Were you using 'Wipe Free Space' in Custom Clean?
You have to tick that both in the settings and also in the list under Advanced. If you don't tick it in both places then it doesn't wipe the free space.
You should know if that happens because it won't take any time.
image.png

The above is setting it to wipe the free space and MFT on drive D: - IF/WHEN you also tick 'Wipe Free Space' under 'Advanced' in Custom clean.
In this screenshot that hasn't been ticked, so the free space won't get wiped.

image.png

It's not something I do often but I recently had cause to wipe the free space on a couple of external drives - I used the Drive Wiper in Tools:
image.png

Set at 1-pass was enough so that Recuva then couldn't find anything to recover from them.

Note that one of the drives I wiped the free space on was a 1TB drive with just under 700GB free space, it was plugged into a USB2 port and took 10+ hours to do the 1-pass wipe. (It would have been quicker in a USB3 port but it would still be hours).

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

nukecad, I followed your instructions and have completely deleted and erased all the picture files left behind on my PC. I used the option of 1 single overwrite pass on the Drive Wiper. I will remember now to tick BOTH places on those pages on my CCleaner. Thanks for taking the time to explain and post photos for me to understand better. And thanks to all those who replied. CASE CLOSED!👍

• Moderators

Good to hear you got there.

'Wipe Free Space' is part of Custom Clean and it's a 2 part thing.

• Part one is What-to-wipe and is in the settings where you set up which drive(s) you want to wipe the free space on.
  • Part two is When-to-wipe and is in the Custom Clean lists.

So you can set which drives to be wiped, but don't actually wipe them everytime that you run Custom Clean. (Because a free space wipe takes a long time).
When you do want to wipe you tick the box in 'Advanced' and then run Custom Clean.

'Drive Wiper' is a seperate, different, tool. with it you can choose to wipe a drive completely, securely deleting all the data on it and not just the free space.
Use that option carefully, if you set it to wipe 'Entire Drive' then it will delete and wipe any/all files on the specified drive and they will then be unrecoverable.
image.png
It won't let you completely wipe your OS drive (usually C:) because that would wipe Windows and brick the machine, so it only lets you wipe free space on the OS drive.
Drive Wiper is a one screen tool, you set it there and click on 'Wipe' to run it.