CCleaner v6.10.10347 - shows annoing dialog "Few files will not get cleaned as "

MWilson

Hi,

Since this 6.10.10347 new version was introduced on Windows, that annoying dialog "Few files will not get cleaned as system doesn't have admin privileges" totally mess up scheduled unattended tasks. It pops up, blocks batch file execution, and waits for user attention.

1) Why, why, why show it in the first place?

2) Why force users to run as admin?

3) It doesn't provide any helpful info on how to fix it, and running CCleaner admin elevated is not an option.

Can you fix it to make it show the dialog ONCE, or set a delay to auto-dismiss the dialog? It is totally annoying and useless dialog, to begin with.

Looking for a fast resolution to the problem.

Thank you.

Edited by MWilson
grammar

48 minutes ago, MWilson said:

... Since this 6.10.10347 new version was introduced on Windows, that annoying dialog "Few files will not get cleaned as system doesn't have admin privileges" totally mess up scheduled unattended tasks. It pops up, blocks batch file execution, and waits for user attention. ...

Thank you for bringing this to attention.

Unbelievable that something is constantly being changed at CCleaner without thinking about possible consequences. 👎 I hope this will be corrected as soon as possible, either as a setting or with a command line parameter.

22 hours ago, MWilson said:

... Since this 6.10.10347 new version was introduced on Windows, that annoying dialog "Few files will not get cleaned as system doesn't have admin privileges" totally mess up scheduled unattended tasks. It pops up, blocks batch file execution, and waits for user attention. ...

I had time for some tests first today, but I can't reproduce the mentioned problem. No dialog box with this message appears for me. A CCleaner started via the command line or the task scheduler runs through without any problems! (Tested in a user account without administrator privileges.)

Could it be that you are trying to run CCleaner not elevated - in a user account with administrator privileges? Can you please describe your procedure in more detail and maybe attach a screenshot of the dialog box? Thank you!

21 hours ago, APMichael said:

... Unbelievable that something is constantly being changed at CCleaner without thinking about possible consequences. 👎...

Sorry for my hasty comment without having reproduced the problem first.

6 hours ago, APMichael said:

Can you please describe your procedure in more detail

1) CCleaner is run by shortcut (OPTIONAL):
Target: C:\Windows\System32\schtasks.exe /run /tn MyTasks\CCleaner_Auto
Start in: C:\Windows\system32

2) The scheduled task action is:
Program/script:
%comspec%
Arguments:
/c start "" /min "C:\Users\Mike\Documents\Apps\Scripts\CCleaner-Auto-Wrapper.bat" ^& exit

3) CCleaner-Auto-Wrapper.bat:
start "ccleaner-auto" "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner64.exe" /AUTO

As for the screenshot, I have rolled back CCleaner v6.09

Edited by MWilson
optional

14 hours ago, MWilson said:

1) CCleaner is run by shortcut (OPTIONAL):
Target: C:\Windows\System32\schtasks.exe /run /tn MyTasks\CCleaner_Auto
Start in: C:\Windows\system32 ...

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, I still could not reproduce the problem. Sorry! I hope the support can help you at least.

On 16/03/2023 at 12:37, MWilson said:

Hi,

Since this 6.10.10347 new version was introduced on Windows, that annoying dialog "Few files will not get cleaned as system doesn't have admin privileges" totally mess up scheduled unattended tasks. It pops up, blocks batch file execution, and waits for user attention.

1) Why, why, why show it in the first place?

2) Why force users to run as admin?

3) It doesn't provide any helpful info on how to fix it, and running CCleaner admin elevated is not an option.

Can you fix it to make it show the dialog ONCE, or set a delay to auto-dismiss the dialog? It is totally annoying and useless dialog, to begin with.

Looking for a fast resolution to the problem.

Thank you.

On mine, if you click, it dies.  If you don't, it gets stuck on "utilities".

Uncheck Windows Defender, MS must have made a change that breaks CCleaner.  With Win 7.

• 2 weeks later...

I suffer from the same annoyance.
No special shortcuts or anything, CCleaner just runs automatically.
Probably because option "Run a one-time clean with the Custom Clean took when you start Windows" is checked.

image.png.bb295aa82e349ddfa3ac3396eaa168bf.png

I normally run as a Standard User as advised by Microsoft as best practice for security. I am shocked that a company that I have relied on for my security for years should have issued a software release with this issue. Recently I keep getting the message "Few files will not get cleaned as the system does not have admin privileges". I can see there are others with the same problem.

This is getting very annoying as it pops up regularly. If I dismiss it it reappears later.

As advised by Microsoft, and most other security experts (I was one until I recently retired), I use my Windows Admin account only to install software. I refuse to run most of the time as Admin - the Admin account should only be used for system administrator tasks and a regular prompt stating that I do not have admin privileges is most inappropriate.. I will have to uninstall CCleaner if this persists for much longer.

Can I install the previous version that worked?

image.png.640cf3905e5c528f63b1fcd8316b8ef3.png

• 3 weeks later...