Loooong lag before CCleaner Pro 10347 loads!

Wisewiz

Thank you, nuke, for taking care of that. 

Cleverbridge kindly returned my payment for a single year pro license (on top of my current license—a failed attempt to get a different license key), but so far no one has suggested any remedy for my launch-lag problem, which, as you know, happens if and only if I register my new license in any version of the program. For now, I’m back to running the latest portable version, which would say Professional in its title if I entered a license, but it would struggle for 10-15 seconds to open then, so Free in the title is acceptable for now. I’m sure they are mainly holding back on sending me another key because they think there’s nothing wrong with my current one, and they don’t want to give me a second key for one subscription.

Wisewiz

To those who have virtually none, even a little knowledge of computing seems like wizardry.

• Moderators

With the new licencing system, as I understand it, you'd need to use a different email address to get a different key.
If you use a different email then as far as the system could know you are a new customer.
(And then might have more of an issue if you wanted another refund).

If you want to keep trying things then you might be able to get a Pro trial if you completely uninstall the existing CCleaner.
That wouldn't/shouldn't work if you have already used a trial on that machine though.

TBH I'm not sure why you'd want to run Portable as Pro, most of the Pro options/features only work with an installed version.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

47 minutes ago, nukecad said:

With the new licencing system, as I understand it, you'd need to use a different email address to get a different key.
If you use a different email then as far as the system could know you are a new customer.
(And then might have more of an issue if you wanted another refund).

If you want to keep trying things then you might be able to get a Pro trial if you completely uninstall the existing CCleaner.
That wouldn't/shouldn't work if you have already used a trial on that machine though.

TBH I'm not sure why you'd want to run Portable as Pro, most of the Pro options/features only work with an installed version.

Yeah, I agree about the licensing. But I think that if I used a different key and it didn't break the loading process, I'd have a case (maybe) for changing my current key or refunding my subscription for that key. I dunno. I'm not poor, but I hate throwing money away.

I tried a Pro trial yesterday, with the standard installation, and it loaded and worked just perfectly until I went to Options > License Key and entered my current key. The next start took 15 seconds to get to the window.

The Portable as Pro bit is just a "that's just me" kind of thing. Every time I see the Free title, I feel a little like a freeloader, but the Professional title puts my mind at ease, since I couldn't have it up there without having a valid license. Entering a valid license gives ANY version the Pro header.

I'll try to get another Pro trial today, after I clean up every known trace of the current and past installs.

Wisewiz

To those who have virtually none, even a little knowledge of computing seems like wizardry.

Well, I downloaded the Pro Trial edition after cleaning up everything I could find related to CC. When the standard installation completed, there was a notice that my trial had expired (as I expected would happen, despite my efforts to wipe all traces of CC from the file system, the registry, the Task Scheduler, and my User profile), and the program opened in the Free edition.

I opened the new copy of the Free edition ten times. Each launching took no more than a second.

Then I opened the program and went to Options > License Key, and entered my new key. It took about ten seconds, but my new key was accepted finally. I closed the program, waited a few seconds, and launched the program. There was a 15 second delay before the program opened.

If anyone on the Mods bench here has any pull with the technical staff at Piriform, I would really appreciate some help with getting past low-level support and up to a technical level. I've been asked to run the CCleaner Support Tool twice, and I have run it and looked at the results. The tool requires that I start the program and then run the tool while the program is running. The tool shows nothing, because the problem doesn't arise when the program is running; the problem only happens before the program opens.

My last resort will be to ask for a refund for my new license, then use my old license until I can get a new one under a new email address. That will cost me some extra bucks (if it even works at all), because I'll lose the discounts that come with renewals. Oh, well.

Any advice from any of you experts?

Wisewiz

• Moderators

Other than being trusted to only flag 'important' things up to be looked at we have no special pull.

I've never had cause to use the Support Tool myself, (I've never had to raise a ticket).
I'm not sure just what it does other than being a way of sending them a debug log when requested on an existing ticket, but it looks like it collects a few system specs as well?

The debug log itself should had captured what was going on while CCleaner was opening,
(PS.I think you are supposed to run the tool after you have closed CCleaner again, but if support gave other instructions then fair enough).
https://support.piriform.com/hc/en-us/articles/9163123715085-Collecting-information-via-CCleaner-Support-Tool#idt_020
I'll take a look at the Support Tool later, if nothing else I'll then know what it does.

There is obviously something odd going on for you with your new licence, on your setups.
But I'm sceptical that getting a different key will make any difference to that. It appears to something about the new licencing system that your setup doesn't like.

As it does only seem to be affecting you at the moment then support can only assume that it isn't a widespread problem/bug, but is being caused by something unusual at your end.

As It's affecting 3 machines then my own thought is that it's either something you have installed on all 3, or a setting you have changed on all 3.
Or something in your router and broadband connection that all 3 are connected to. The fact that you say you still get the lag when offline though says maybe not.
Still it is a thought - Can you try one of the affected machines on a different connection? Preferably a different service provider. (Say at a friends house or somewhere with free wifi?)
Or if you have a smartphone that you can use as a wifi hotspot try connecting through that and see if you still get the same lag.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

53 minutes ago, nukecad said:

Other than being trusted to only flag 'important' things up to be looked at we have no special pull.

I've never had cause to use the Support Tool myself, (I've never had to raise a ticket).
I'm not sure just what it does other than being a way of sending them a debug log when requested on an existing ticket, but it looks like it collects a few system specs as well?

WW: It does, but only during the running of the program, and it collects File Explorer and registry data too.

The debug log itself should had captured what was going on while CCleaner was opening,
(PS.I think you are supposed to run the tool after you have closed CCleaner again, but if support gave other instructions then fair enough).
https://support.piriform.com/hc/en-us/articles/9163123715085-Collecting-information-via-CCleaner-Support-Tool#idt_020
I'll take a look at the Support Tool later, if nothing else I'll then know what it does.

WW: Thanks.

There is obviously something odd going on for you with your new licence, on your setups.
But I'm sceptical that getting a different key will make any difference to that. It appears to something about the new licencing system that your setup doesn't like.

WW: But everything Piriform works beautifully for me so long as I don't throw that new key into the mix.

As it does only seem to be affecting you at the moment then support can only assume that it isn't a widespread problem/bug, but is being caused by something unusual at your end.

WW: But all editions and all versions run perfectly well with no key or with my old key, even the Pro trial that I successfully installed yesterday.

As It's affecting 3 machines then my own thought is that it's either something you have installed on all 3, or a setting you have changed on all 3.
Or something in your router and broadband connection that all 3 are connected to. The fact that you say you still get the lag when offline though says maybe not.
Still it is a thought - Can you try one of the affected machines on a different connection? Preferably a different service provider. (Say at a friends house or somewhere with free wifi?)

WW: Before I go lugging a desktop computer over to a friend's house (and I do have one who has a different ISP, but most people I know out here in the country are on the same satellite I'm on) I'll see what they say about the refund.

Or if you have a smartphone that you can use as a wifi hotspot try connecting through that and see if you still get the same lag.

Maybe later.

Thank you, m'fren'.

Wisewiz

1 hour ago, hazelnut said:

Do you have MBAM  on the machines that have the issue?

Have you tried uninstalling it and rebooting as a test before trying the loooong lag issue again.

Yes, on two of the three, but the one that doesn't have it works as badly as the ones that have it. What I HAVE done is turn OFF MBAM (there's a switch in the systray JIC you don't have MBAM) before launching CC, and that made no difference. The switch stops all of the functions of MBAM and kills the service that supports MBAM. It was a good thought, though. Thanks.

EDIT: Oh, and I'll remind you that all versions and all editions work well (with or without MBAM) so long as they have either NO key or they have my OLD key. Put the new key into the mix, and CC goes south immediately.

Wisewiz

@hazelnut @nukecad

If MBAM were the problem, you'd expect it to interfere with the unregistered CC as well as the registered-with-my-old-key CC. In fact, I've never had a problem with CC opening until I got this new key and applied it. Piriform is (rightly) proud of the speeds of its software functions. The original developer (I once knew his name and conversed with him a decade or more ago, when I was an active "helper" on the Major Geeks forums) would be mortified to hear that his program took as much as fifteen seconds just to open!

I suspected something was wacky when I first registered the new key, and it took about 12-15 seconds to get accepted. I sorta remember that previous new key registrations were impressively fast. I just now registered my old key in an active copy of CC that was already registered as Pro with my new key. There's an option for changing keys in Option > License Key >Activate New Key, as you know. Well, registering the old key took about two seconds, if that. And, of course, as reported previously by your faithful reporter, CC bucked right up and behaved properly the next time I opened 'er.

Something, sir, is afoot.

Wisewiz

• Moderators

Something is definitely odd and your testing does point to that new key at least being involved, but as nobody else is reporting the same thing with the new style keys then there's only your reports/testing to go on.

Hopefully support may be able to see something in your support tool logs?

I took a quick look at what the support tool generates.
As I thought as well as collecting the CCleaner debug log it also collects/reports data about where/how CCleaner is installed.
It also reports about your AV & Firewalls, your internet connection performance, some Windows settings, and other relevant stuff.
All the kind of stuff stuff that might be affecting the working of CCleaner.
(I do seem to have confused the reports it generated here, probably because I've been running both V6.10 Pro and v6.09 Free/Portable today so there's bits of both hanging about and it picked parts of both up. It wouldn't expect to find that two different versions had been running side by side at the same time).

Yeah, I studied the files in the .zip, and I found all the stuff you found. None of it explains why this ONE thing makes a BIG difference. If everything else is the same, and the only thing you change is that one thing, that one thing is almost certain to be it.

Thank you very much for looking into this.

Back tomorrow. The folks in the Philippines are just waking up.

Wisewiz

We're barking up too many wrong trees, I think.

I just used the new copy of Free I installed in the default way today. Opened in a blink to Professional, with the old key registered. Went to Options and substituted the new key.

Broken.

Subbed back the old key.

Fine.

Wisewiz

UPDATE (NEWS): 

They sent me a new key (finally) last night (21 Mar '23).

It works. Nothing is broken; all is well; the program opens in a blink. Works on all three machines.

An interesting thing: The new key they sent is in the old format: five groups of four characters each.

They have matched my paid-for two-year renewal to the new key.

Well, halle-damn-lujah!

Thank you all, and especially @nukecad, for your help and patience. I think I'll never know what, exactly, caused the major glitch. Neither CC Support nor Cleverbridge said anything. Just a new (old-style) key. And so to bed. Au revoir, mes amis!

Dan 

Wisewiz

• Moderators

Good to hear.

I'm guessing that they don't know what the issue was either.

But as an old style key was working for you then if nobody could work out why the obvious move was to give you another old style key - if they could.

It will be interesting to see if anyone else has similar problems in future.

Yea, verily. And when I check License Key  in the program, I see Expiry Date: Thu 10 Apr 25, which is exactly right. Yesss!

Wisewiz