Loooong lag before CCleaner Pro 10347 loads!

Wisewiz

I have never seen a lag before on any version of CCleaner, but with this update, I've got a doozey! It happens on all three of my (licensed) computers, two on Windows 11 Pro, and one on Windows 10 Pro. The lag was about six seconds at first, but now it seems to be growing, and my last count was 14 seconds between the clicking of the icon and the appearance of the console window.

This justifies fast action and a new - repaired - version.

Wisewiz

To those who have virtually none, even a little knowledge of computing seems like wizardry.

• Moderators

I'm not seeing a lag here. (2 laptops. one with Pro one with Free).

Odd that you say it's growing for you, that's certainly not been reported in any of the previous 'lag' posts.

Does it change if you go offline before launching CCleaner?

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

what kind of going offline would you like me to try? On how many computers?

Wisewiz

To those who have virtually none, even a little knowledge of computing seems like wizardry.

Six seconds from click to console. Notto goodo. Not a single other program on these PCs is showing any lag at all.

Clipboard01.jpg

Edited by Wisewiz

Wisewiz

I've now re-installed pro from the link Cleverbridge sent yesterday, uninstalled that and installed Free from the Builds page. Tested load times, then registered my license to turn Free into Pro. No change. Long lag loading.

Wisewiz

• Moderators

We have seen long CCleaner loading times in the past, as long as 8 or 15 seconds.
I've suffered from 8 second loading lag myself in the past, but like I say I'm not seeing any lag with 6.10 and presumably Hazelnut isn't either or would have mentioned it. (and nobody else has reported any lags - not yet anyway).

When I said go offline I just meant disconnect from the internet to see if it was pausing/lagging because CCleaner was trying to make a connection to a server that it couldn't make.
If you are not connected to the net then it (usually) recognises that and so doesn't try to connect to anything.

Mine is taking slightly longer to open if this laptop is on the wifi than if it's in Flight mode, but it's less than a second in both cases.

I'm trying to think what else could be causing it for you.
I believe you have already turned off Smart Cleaning and Automatic Updating, so we can rule those out.
Are you using the Perfomance Optimiser?
Are you using Winapp2?

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Okay, mods, an update of interest:

I went and got an installer for Free v. 6.08, put it on, and started. Instant, as always before this yesterday glitch began.

BUT THEN, I registered my new license key and turned Free into Pro, and the same damned lag came back.

If you haven't had a zillion complaints about this lag (i.e., nobody else is experiencing it), I'm thinking there's something wrong with my key. If CCleaner is checking the validity of my key every time I open it, that could account for the lag.

@nukecad: I'm using neither PO nor Winapp2. 

Since this happens with my new license (just paid for yesterday) on all three registered machines, and DOESN'T happen on my main PC with unregistered installations of CCleaner, I'm thinking I got a faulty key (if that's possible from Cleverbridge).

I'm going to try another installation without my key registered, and then with it registered. BACKSUN, as Owl says in Winnie the Pooh.

Wisewiz

I just now used my old key (only a couple of weeks left on it) on the latest install (6.08 Free), turned it into Pro, got all the usual "Your license is about to expire" warnings right away, and HAD NO LAG with the old license turning this into Pro.

I'm not sure I can manage to re-install 6.10 without my new key showing up, but I'll give it a shot.

Wisewiz

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Wisewiz said:

I'm not sure I can manage to re-install 6.10 without my new key showing up, but I'll give it a shot.

Options>Licence Key>Activate new key should let you put the old key in without having to reinstall.
I also know a couple of other ways to change/use a different key, but is it worth it if you only have a couple of weeks left on it?

You say that was v6.08 though, which wasn't laggy for you anyway.

So what is Pro v6.10 doing on launch that might be making it laggy?
(And if it is a licence check then again being disconnected from the internet should stop that check happening and so stop the lag).

I think that it may be this:
It's a bug from last year that was fixed at the time but may have sneaked it's way back in again when they have 'improved' the Driver Updater in v6.10, probably worth a look anyway to see if you have any NVIDIA or other large files in the Program Files\CCleaner\Data\BackupStorage directory:

https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/63026-ccleaner-gui-takes-too-long-to-launch-try-this-fixed-in-601/#comment-336903

Installed 6.10, had no lag, registered yesterday's new key, and SHAZAM!, LAG, baby, LAG.

Wisewiz

• Moderators

Ok so it's not that 'backup' bug, and it only happens after your register CCleaner using the new key.

Have you tried putting your old key into 6.10 using 'Activate new key' and seeing how 6.10 launches with the old key?

Yep. 6.10 with old key takes a moment longer to load than I would expect, but comes up loaded with all the "Expires soon" stuff that probably slows down the load a tad. Then I went to Options and entered the new key. Registration successful. Closed and re-opened, and counted to 15 before the console appeared. Can I get a new key that I can register and see whether I get my old, snappy, instant-loading CCleaner back?

Wisewiz

• Moderators

So to recap,

The launch-lag has only started happening for you with Pro v6.10 registered with your new key.
It doesn't happen if you use your old key to register Pro  v6.10.
It does happen if you use an older version (v6.08) with that new key.
It doesn't happen with an new install of Free v6.10.

Very peculiar.
Can I ask (just for a bit more info); is your old key one of the 24 digit ones (XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX) and presumably the new one is the new 20 digit style (XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX)?

For licencing issues you have to contact support, and I'm not sure what they would make of this odd situation or if they would just issue an alternative key.
TBH I'm not sure that getting another key would change anything.

As you are the only one reporting this lag at the current time then it does seem to be something specific to your machines and/or the way they are set up.
But just what that would be to act in this odd way I can't think.
Even if it were something like your AV or Firewalls then why delay one key/version combination but not another?
So it does seem to be looking like it may be the new key, but just why that might happen is puzzling to say the least.

I'll flag it up to the staff to see if they can help to throw any light on what may be happening here.
It's almost 11 at night here in the UK though, so they may not see it until tomorrow morning.

Quote: Can I ask (just for a bit more info); is your old key one of the 24 digit ones (XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX) and presumably the new one is the new 20 digit style (XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX)?

That's right. It looked ODD to me when I got it, but, of course, I didn't know the key style had changed. I just had this new, odd-looking key. It worked. But CC broke after I finished registering it on all three machines (to get rid of the hounding reminders on all three machines with the old key.

It's just a theory at present, but all the evidence so far points to a problem caused by (introduced by?) my new key.

The new key breaks things. The old key doesn't. The new key breaks old versions. The old versions are fine with the old key. This behavior is seen on three computers, with two versions of Windows, and with a whole lot of differences. Nobody else is reporting this problem. What's distinctive here is the malfunction (which first appeared yesterday, when I renewed my license and got my new key) associated with my new license key.

If you mods wish, and since this appears to be an individual problem on my machines with my license, I won't mind at all if you delete this whole conversation. Idiosyncratic malfunctions don't need to be seen on the forum. Your choice.

Wisewiz

• Moderators

It's all useful stuff.

Even if something does turn out to be only affecting one person you never know if it may later help someone else.
Sometimes it can be a few years later that someone asks a question and you remember that something similar happened before so go looking for it again.

As for the new style keys you are not the only one who didn't know about them, and I agree that from your testing it appears to be a significant factor;
Here's Dave CCleaners explanation of them. And if you scroll down a couple of posts from that you'll find my plainer language translation of it.
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/64334-are-ccleaner-pro-and-avast-cleanup-premium-the-same-product/#comment-341151

Reading that again now gives me another idea.
Do you by any chance have any AV/Firewall blocks on Avast, AVG,  or HMA?

Anyway it's gone midnight here so I think we'll have to wait and see if the staff pick up my flag when they get into work tomorrow morning (UK time).

No blocks at all for those. Hope you sleep well. You’ve been very patient and supportive. I’ve written support and given them a brief description of the situation. Hope to hear from them tomorrow (my time).

Wisewiz

Guest Andrei CCleaner

Hello @Hmm, @Wisewiz ! Please send an email at support@ccleaner.com so they could have a look over your situation as you shouldn't have any lag on your PRO versions.

Did it yesterday, but so far I’ve had nothing back but form letters from the Philippines. The UK folks are awake now, so we’ll see.

The loading lag with freshly installed AND registered Pro is 15 seconds this morning.

Wisewiz

Just now uninstalled registered Pro and installed 6.10 Free (unregistered). Loading is just as fast as always (before I renewed my license and started using the new key). If Support can't do anything for me, perhaps I should just stick with the Free on all my machines. All I want (use) are the custom clean, the registry checker, and the system restore checker. The only advantage to having the Pro versions all these years (for me, at least) is that I have the satisfaction of knowing that a valuable member of my computing arsenal gets my monetary support. (Once I have determined a new program's usefulness and value to me, I try to make a habit of supporting its developers.)

I unintentionally lied in a post above: there is one other program on my machines that has a long loading lag. Malwarebytes (Premium, of course; see sentence above) has always been very slow to load, in all the years I've used it. No problem, because the user seldom needs to open the program console once it's set up properly. CCleaner, OTOH, is a program that I open at least once a day, before shutting down at night. Yeah, I also have a keyboard shortcut that launches the executable with the /AUTO parameter, but I usually want to open the console and run the Analyze function instead, to see how much crud I've accumulated during the day.

Wisewiz

Just to test the situation, I went online to purchase another key. I figured I could get my money back if the new key didn't work, either. It turns out it's not that simple. They require my email address in order to send me a product key, and (surprise!) when they sent it, it was the same faulty key.

Now I'm in a struggle to get my money back, and the communication from Support and from Cleverbridge all keep going around in circles. Form letter after form letter arrives without indicating that anyone has read and understood my complaint.

Wisewiz

• Moderators

Yes that's how the new 'account' keys work, but you have confirmed my assumption that the 'account' is tied to your email address.

• Moderators

Just to note that I've split the edge issue from  @Hmm and replies into its own topic.
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/64399-edge-slow-to-clean/#comment-341386