New Firefox Browser Cleaning Options in CCleaner v6.10

lmacri

The version history for CCleaner v6.10.10347 (released 15-Mar-2023) at https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/version-history states in part:

Taking the hassle out of PC maintenance

•  We have expanded cleaning with 23 new options, especially for popular apps in Windows Store and social media apps (e.g., Douyin, YouPlay, Facebook Messenger), video editing (Video Editor Master, ClipChamp), and Mozilla Firefox.

What new cleaning options are available for Mozilla Firefox, and does this only apply to the Mozilla Firefox Universal Windows Platform (UWP) app available on the Microsoft Store?  I just launched CCleaner Free Portable v6.10.10347 (using the same ccleaner.ini file that I was using for the previous v6.09.10300) and can't see any new options for the Custom Clean feature at Applications tab | Firefox, and when I click the "Analyze" button it doesn't appear that any new items will be cleaned for my desktop version of the Firefox v111 browser.

CCleanerv6_10CustomCleanFirefoxCleaningAllStillDisabled16Mar2023.thumb.png.bad34786d46370981478ed2ca3e7e919.png

Please note that I don't want CCleaner cleaning anything in my default Firefox browser after the damage that CCleaner 5.69.7865 did to Firefox v79 add-ons (see my 03-Aug-2020 post in circcc's Problem with Firefox 79).

I've been following FlyHigh's 15-Mar-2023 topic 6.10.10347 about how the "expanded cleaning with 23 new options" in CCleaner v6.10 is starting some Windows services like the TeamViewer service to perform new cleaning tasks even if the user has deliberately configured the service not to run at boot-up, and I want to make sure that CCleaner v6.10 isn't doing something to my Firefox browser that it shouldn't be doing before I actually click "Run CCleaner" and allow it clean my system.

This isn't the first time that Avast / Piriform has added and automatically enabled new cleaning options that unexpectedly deleted data or made some change that users didn't want (see my 20-Feb-2022 thread Question RE: New Windows SubSystems Temp Files Cleaning in Cleaner v5.90  for another example).  I could see why they might do this for the Health Check feature - that's one of the risks of using this type of  "one size fits all" one-click cleaner - but a user's Custom Clean settings should never be changed without their permission.
-------------
Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.2604 * Firefox v111.0.0 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2301.6-1.1.20100.6 * Malwarebytes Premium v 4.5.24.248-1.0.1944 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7279 * CCleaner Free Portable v6.10.10347

• Moderators

It something I've been meaning to look at too.

I don't believe that it's new sections, but new items within the existing sections.

For now I can identify one new 'profile_count_{profile charcters}.json' file that is under the 'Internet Cache' cleaning section.
Oddly the Analyze seems to pick up that file twice, although it only shows once when cleaned?

I need to do more comparision testing when I get round to it.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

I've just done an quick comparison of 6.09 and 6.10 following a short Firefox session.
Cleaned with 6.09 then analyzed with 6.10 - to see what extras 6.10 found that 6.09 hadn't cleaned.

As well as the above file there is a second file found, again under 'Internet Cache'. Its called 'cache2.2023-03-16-{and so on with identifiers}'
Again the Analyze listed it twice, but it's only listed once after being cleaned.*

There may be others depending on your Firefox settings. (or maybe if I'd done a longer Firefox session).

*That may help explain some of the reports of different amounts being reported than cleaned that we have see in the past.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/03/2023 at 09:43, lmacri said:

... What new cleaning options are available for Mozilla Firefox, and does this only apply to the Mozilla Firefox Universal Windows Platform (UWP) app available on the Microsoft Store? ...

Hi @johnccleaner :

Could  you or any of your colleagues at Piriform / Avast provide further details about the new cleaning options for Firefox browsers that were added to the current CCleaner v6.10.10347? 

The 15-Mar-2023 release notes <here> for v6.10.10347 state "We have expanded cleaning with 23 new options, especially for popular apps in Windows Store and social media apps (e.g., Douyin, YouPlay, Facebook Messenger), video editing (Video Editor Master, ClipChamp), and Mozilla Firefox. " but I am unable to determine exactly what new items CCleaner v6.10.10347 can now clean in my Firefox browser.
-------------
Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.2728 * Firefox v111.0.1 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2302.7-1.1.20100.6 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.25.256-1.0.1957 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7279 * CCleaner Free Portable v6.10.10347

• Moderators
15 hours ago, redwolfe_98 said:

i think that the ccleaner releasenotes are referring to firefox from the microsoft app store,

That is likely, the Firefox version from the MS store does use different file locations to the standard Firefox.

However I've never had Firefox from the MS store and CCleaner v6.10 is also now cleaning some new entries in the standard Firefox as I noted above.

On 03/04/2023 at 12:22, redwolfe_98 said:

i think that the ccleaner releasenotes are referring to firefox from the microsoft app store, not the normal version of firefox that you download from mozilla...

Hi redwolfe_98:

That's one possibility, but have you confirmed that yourself or is that just speculation?

I deliberately @mentioned employee @johnccleaner because I was hoping they would be able to get the information I was seeking directly from the software developers who added the new Firefox cleaning options.  CCleaner has damaged Firefox installations in the past because their QA team apparently does not test the potential effect of CCleaner on nightly/aurora/beta releases of Firefox before new (stable) Firefox versions are released to the general public (see my 03-Aug-2020 post in circcc's Problem with Firefox 79 ) so I'm always wary when Piriform / Avast makes any changes to Firefox cleaning.
-------------
Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.2728 * Firefox v111.0.1 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2302.7-1.1.20100.6 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.25.256-1.0.1957 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7279 * CCleaner Free Portable v6.10.10347