6.10.10347 and Teamviewer

FlyHigh

6.10.10347 starts TeamViewer service - which is set to manual start, i.e. only start on Teamviewer startup.  CCleaner then continually finds TV files (and adds 30% to its run time - 0.8 seconds on average compared with 0.6 pre 6.10.10347) until I manually stop TV service.

• Moderators

CCleaner v6.10 has added more cleaning options for some common apps:

We have expanded cleaning with 23 new options, especially for popular apps in Windows Store and social media apps (e.g., Douyin, YouPlay, Facebook Messenger), video editing (Video Editor Master, ClipChamp), and Mozilla Firefox. 

So you may see it cleaning things that older CCleaner versions didn't.

But it shouldn't be starting any service other than it's own.

Can you tell us what makes you think that CCleaner is starting the Teamviewer service rather than just cleaning Teamviewer files?

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Sure.

I always have TeamViewer Service set to Manual because I don't use TV that often. When I do use TV, it starts its own service of course.

CCleaner has never touched TV's Service  ....  before 6.10.10347.  No other programs in same category as CCl ..... ASC, WiseCleaner, Privazer, jv16PT etc, touch it.

6.10.10347 starts it.

I wanted to attach a screen recorder viedo but I can't do that in 2MB, so here's a few screenshots in sequence which might be tricky to follow.

But the bottom line is that 6.10.10347 starts TV's Service.

Thanks,

1, before.jpg

2, TV selected.jpg

3, after running CCl.jpg

I can confirm that CCleaner starts the TeamViewer service after cleaning TeamViewer!

This has the following reason: the log files are locked when the TeamViewer service is running. In the latest version, CCleaner now stops the TeamViewer service, deletes the log files and restarts the TeamViewer service again.

It would be smarter if CCleaner would check beforehand whether the TeamViewer service is running at all, and if not, then not start it after the cleanup.

I also concur with the findings of the above members. I find it very concerning that running CCleaner causes the TeamViewer service to start up. TeamViewer is a program that could possibly be used by malware to spy and record everything you are doing on your computer! Just to be on the safe side that this current version of CCleaner is not compromised, I'm going to delete it and reinstall an older version of CCleaner that doesn't share this behavior!

• Moderators

I also have to agree,

if CCleaner v6.10 is dong this then it shouldn't be. (I don't have Teamviewer here).

If the files can't be cleaned because the service is already running then CCleaner should either 'Skip' them or ask you if you want to close it.
That's what it does with browsers or any other running app/service.

It shouldn't just close the service without giving you a choice. And it certainly shouldn't restart it; particularly if it wasn't even running before.

I've escalated this to the staff.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Thanks.  Good input from all and fast response from Moderator/s, thank you.

Just to clarify, 6.10.10347 doesn't (ever) stop the TeamViewer service; it only starts it when it's set to Manual but not already running. It then leaves it started and running, no reversion.

Some more fun-facts I've just discovered by playing around ....

1. When TV's Service is set to Manual, TV itself doesn't actually bother to start it when it, TV, starts.  I ran TV for a while making and ending connections and at the end of all that, its Service was still not running (and still set to Manual of course).

2. If TV's Service is set to Disabled (as opposed to Manual), 6.10.10347 doesn't manage to overcome that and start the Service.  That would have been even more impressive and a tad more scary.

3. I confirm that if TV (i.e. TV itself, not its Service) is running when CCleaner is initiated, it is in the category of things like browsers and W Explorer etc that CCleaner would either like to have closed or it will skip them on that run. Interestingly, there are plenty of things, some surprising, that are not in this category ... eMail clients, image viewers, media players etc, including some things that are selectable as applications to be cleaned by CCleaner e.g. VLC, MS Office etc, that CCleaner doesn't care if they're open/running when it's doing its thing. I've never quite got my head around how this works, what's in or out, but I don't need to know. 

I think that's it. Cheers to all from Sydney Aust.

• Moderators

Thanks for the clarification and detail, it should help the devs to track down the issue in the coding.

Sorry, one final comment from me.  I said in my last:  "..... 6.10.10347 doesn't (ever) stop the TeamViewer service; it only starts it .....",  but I’d forgotten that APMichael, above, said that it does stop it, and then restarts it.  I’m not sure how to check this, so I will defer to him on this point.

• Dave CCleaner changed the title to 6.10.10347 and Teamviewer
  • 1 month later...

According to the change log for CCleaner v6.11.10435 (rel. 24-Apr-2023) at https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/version-history this version "Fixed issue when TeamViewer cleaning could restart the service".  I don't use TeamViewer so I can't personally confirm this bug fix has actually solved the problem.
-------------
Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.2846 * Firefox v112.0.1 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2303.8-1.1.20200.4 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.27.262-1.0.1991 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7279 * CCleaner Free Portable v6.10.10347

Hi FlyHigh:

Employee Dave CCleaner posted in martinu's (now re-named) 24-Apr-2023 thread CCleaner v6.11.10435 Crashes [TeamViewer: Under Investigation]  today and confirmed that the software developers are working on a bug fix for these crashes.  He advises that that affected TeamViewer users should disable TeamViewer cleaning at Custom Clean | Applications | Utilities | TeamViewer until a bug fix is released.

1 hour ago, Dave CCleaner said:

To confirm, there is an issue with CCleaner 6.11 specifically relating to running cleans on TeamViewer, which (as per @NE0) can be temporarily worked-around (until we release a fix) for impacted TeamViewer users by unchecking TeamViewer under Custom Clean > Applications > Utilities:

?name=image.png

This impacts all Windows versions, but the code in question is specific to TeamViewer cleaning.  It does not appear that any other cleaning rules are impacted and does not impact computers that do not have TeamViewer running.  The developers are currently working on a fix.  TBD at this point if a fix will be issued with the CCleaner 6.12 May release or in an earlier patch.

-------------
Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.2846 * Firefox v112.0.2 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2303.8-1.1.20200.4 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.27.262-1.0.1991 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7279 * CCleaner Free Portable v6.10.10347

Indeed, all is again not-quite-right in the world of CCleaner and TeamViewer. 

This is my experience, when I run CCL with TV open, in case of any use. 

CCl seems  .....  I'm guessing the fix is not as simple as just this tweak, since others are reporting CCL itself closing, I think  ......  to be skipping the interrupt:   "Teamviewer needs to be closed ...... Do you want CCleaner to close Teamviewer?"  and just goes ahead and closes it. 

Once TV is closed, CCL completes as normal with a few TV files showing as cleaned, not surprisingly. 

No CCl crash, just an uncommanded (by me) TV close.

I'm running 22H2 22621.1555, CCl: 6.11.0.10435 x64, TV: 15.41.7.0 x64.