Chrome Browser Plugins Shows 2 Users?

txdirtygirl

I'm new here and I just have a question.  I've used CCleaner for many years and never had this show up.  I have remote user and sharing turned off.   I am using the free versiion and Windows 10.  So this is my question:  In the tools section, in browser plugins, under the Chrome tab there are duplicate items; one for Person 1 and another for Person 2.  Where and when did another user or person get on my PC?  I am the only person with a profile on this computer.  The only user is me (and administrator, who is me).  Please someone tell me what the frick is going on!  Thanks in advance.

Ccleanr Users.jpg

• Moderators

Those appear to be profiles in Chrome itself, and not user accounts on your computer.

See: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/2364824?hl=en-GB&co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop

It you look at those pathnames in your screenshot:
'Shirely' is '...\Chrome\User Data\Profile 1'
'Person 1' is '...\Chrome\User Data\Default'
'Person 2' is '...\Chrome\User Data\Profile 2'

If you haven't set them up in Chrome deliberately then I'd simply remove the unwanted profiles from Chrome.
Of course doing that could cause some changes in your Chrome because anything that's only associated with the removed profiles will also go.

I'd sugest that you first remove the profiles  'Person 2' and 'Shirley', and then rename 'Person 1' to 'Shirley' so that 'Shirley' becomes the default profile.
That should also make sure that your Foxit, PayPal, and Ghostery extensions remain, they are on that default profile.
You'll have to check what else has gone missing though, eg, that 'Pinterest Save Button' only seems to be on Profile 2, the Gmail extension only seems to be on Profile 1, and so on. So you may need to reinstall those extensions in the Default profile after removing the other profiles.

See the link above for how to remove and rename Chrome profiles.

PS. If your Chrome is synced then you may also have to make the changes in the syncing, if you don't then it might just sync the profiles back again?
I'm not sure about that because I don't use Chrome so don't know just how those profiles work.

(Of course there is also the 'blitz-it' option - Delete any Chrome syncing from your Google account, uninstall Chrome, Restart your computer, then reinstall Chrome and start from scratch).

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

I appreciate the suggestion and sync is turned off.  But there is no reason my mothers user should show up on my computer.  So any other suggestions?   I  could really  understand if Both of us had sync on but just one of us, no.  And definitely not with neither of us having sync on.  This is way too weird.

• Moderators

Have you actually opened your Chrome and looked at what user profiles have been set up?

Has your mother ever used your computer and connected to her Google account?
Maybe she checked her Gmail? maybe accessed Facebook or something else which is linked to her Google account? maybe it's a while back and you've both forgotten?
Anything like that could have set up another profile in Chrome, possibly without you knowing that it had done that, (or maybe you clicked a button to dismiss a pop-up without reading it?)

Maybe something else???  - Google collects and hoards all kinds of stuff.
It's one reason I don't have Chrome on my computers.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Thanks for answering again.  I appreciate the help.  I will go thru your questions in order.

I have checked and my  profile is the only one set up on Chrome.

My mom  uses her phone for email and facebook.  She's never used my laptop.  I don't live with my mom.  I  have only recently stayed at her house after she had a surgery.  And she has her own laptop and she rarely uses it.

No, nothing else could have set up another profile.  I am very familiar with computers, operating systems, email, pop ups, installation of programs and that some have additional programs they have checked (like some of piriform's add on bloatware, not being a B, I just don't know how else to put it )  and I am always careful about dismissing  anything.  I always read any notifications.

I have gone thru every possible setting in Chrome and there is nothing  I can find that would have another person and my mom's user name to be added.

Windows has recently had an update.  I know sometimes after updates the settings are reset to default setting.  I don't know if that is a glitch or maybe it's on purpose.  But that is my next target to look at.  

Let me know if you have any other ideas please.  And thanks again!

• Moderators

As these 'extra' profiles are only showing in Chrome add-ons (they are only showing there?) then it does seem to be an issue with Chrome and not Windows.
CCleaner is obviously reading them from somewhere in the chrome data.
They do seem to be Chrome profiles and not Windows user accounts.

TBH I've never really looked much into the Browser Plugins page before, I manage them in the browser.

In my CCleaner it lists 'User' as well as 'Profile' for Firefox.
image.png

I also note the 'File' column, mine just has 'Path' for extensions that I have added, it only shows a full pathname for plugins that Firefox has put there itself.

One thing I do note looking again at your screenshot - You say that you have sync turned off but I see that there's a plugin for Google Drive which is cloud storage and syncronisation.
It's asociated with profile 'Shirley' and it isn't greyed out there so it's Enabled.
You might want to check what, if anything, you have saved on Google Drive.

All the other entries there for 'Shirley' look like folder names rather that plugins? Maybe they're folders in Google Drive?
Which brings another thought; do you have your Office application (whichever you use) associated to use Chrome, maybe to have Google Drive as an option to save to? Maybe to use Google Drive to make backups?
'Gmail', 'Docs', 'Sheets', 'Slides' - those are typical folder names an Office app would create; and it might create a new Chrome profile to do that in Google Drive?

I'm guessing that it's something like that which has created these extra Chrome profiles, an app you have installed which can access Chrome.
Removing them may just prevent that app from accessing Chrome, or may prevent it working properly.

If you really want rid of them then try using the CCleaner Browser Plugins page to delete them, and then see if they come back.
I'd delete the ones for 'Profile 1' and 'Profile 2' just leaving the 'Default' (which is 'Person 1').
Like I said above though that may remove the add-ons from Chrome so if you want/need them you'd then have to put them back on the default profile.

Alternatively open Chrome and remove the add-ons from there, then put the ones you want back.

Another alternative would be a Refresh, or Repair, of Chrome.
And remember - there's always the blitz option.