CCleaner keeps throwing "debugger" subkeys into the registry

Wisewiz

CCleaner keeps throwing "debugger" subkeys into the registry, and three times in the past four months I've had to search the registry and delete those CCleaner-related debugger subkeys in order to restore the performance of the affected programs. Yesterday, it was Macrium Reflect, and I spent several hours doing everything I could think of  (including uninstalling and reinstalling) before I remembered the debugger issue. Sure enough, when I searched the registry for the main executable in the program, I found a debugger subkey that named CCleaner, and when I deleted that entry, the program performed perfectly again after a reboot.

Could someone please comment (again?) on the debugger phenomenon, and why CCleaner kills programs with it?

Wisewiz

To those who have virtually none, even a little knowledge of computing seems like wizardry.

4 hours ago, APMichael said:

I suspect that the Performance Optimizer is the culprit and have already pointed out this problem in another thread:

Unfortunately, the past shows that fixing such a problem can take many months...

You may be right. But I run CC Professional in a "portable" mode (I eliminate Driver Up and perf Optim from the files, so that I don't have switches for those in my program window. I neither need nor want DU or PO, and I'd get rid of Health Check if I could figure out how to do it.) The result of my choice of operation mode is that I don't have PO showing in the Services list on my Win 11 Pro machines (22H2 963). I don't think that PO could be the culprit in my case. But that Debugger subkey completely broke my Macrium and, in the past few months, a couple of other programs. Deleting it restored normal function to the affected programs.

Clipboard01.jpg

Wisewiz

To those who have virtually none, even a little knowledge of computing seems like wizardry.

21 hours ago, Wisewiz said:

CCleaner keeps throwing "debugger" subkeys into the registry, and three times in the past four months I've had to search the registry and delete those CCleaner-related debugger subkeys in order to restore the performance of the affected programs. Yesterday, it was Macrium Reflect, and I spent several hours doing everything I could think of  (including uninstalling and reinstalling) before I remembered the debugger issue. Sure enough, when I searched the registry for the main executable in the program, I found a debugger subkey that named CCleaner, and when I deleted that entry, the program performed perfectly again after a reboot.

Could someone please comment (again?) on the debugger phenomenon, and why CCleaner kills programs with it?

what do I need to search for in the registry and delete?

41 minutes ago, Spartan said:

First, I'd search for [the software you're having trouble with] in HKCU\Software and HKLM\Software, and see whether you see a Debugger listed in that program's subkeys. If you find one, go back up a level in the tree and click File at the top of the screen, choose Export, and pick a name and a location for the .reg file it will create (so that you can find it again if you need it). Then delete the Debugger key, close the Reg Editor, and restart your computer. The problem with [the software you're having trouble with] should be gone.

Another method is to search for CCleaner. After the Reg Editor finds the first instance, if Debugger isn't right next to what it shows, hit F3 and the editor will jump down to the next instance of CCleaner. Look for the Debugger subkey.

Don't waste your time searching for "Debugger." There are gazillions of those in the registry, all of which are probably legitimate unless they're associated with CCleaner.

Wisewiz

2 hours ago, Wisewiz said:

You may be right. But I run CC Professional in a "portable" mode (I eliminate Driver Up and perf Optim from the files, so that I don't have switches for those in my program window. I neither need nor want DU or PO, and I'd get rid of Health Check if I could figure out how to do it.) The result of my choice of operation mode is that I don't have PO showing in the Services list on my Win 11 Pro machines (22H2 963). I don't think that PO could be the culprit in my case. But that Debugger subkey completely broke my Macrium and, in the past few months, a couple of other programs. Deleting it restored normal function to the affected programs.

If you only used "Custom Clean", then I can't imagine that this will set the Debugger entries, since "Custom Clean" only deletes files and registry keys. I also only use "Custom Clean" (on many different PCs) and have never had the unwanted Debugger entries. Possibly it is then due to a feature which is only unlocked in the Professional Edition? Or an automatic update brought back the Performance Optimizer?

1 hour ago, Spartan said:

The user who first reported this problem had written that the Debugger entries were always located here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options

Below the "xxx.exe" registry key of the affected program.  For Excel, for example, the Debugger entry would then be found in this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\excel.exe

13 minutes ago, Spartan said:

Right, I found these, so do I need to delete all thos keys or what?

No, please do not just delete everything!

You still have to click on the subkey for the "xxx.exe" of the affected program, as I described it for Excel (excel.exe). In the right panel of Regedit you will see a Debugger entry if you are affected by the problem and you can delete this Debugger entry.

40 minutes ago, APMichael said:

No, please do not just delete everything!

You still have to click on the subkey for the "xxx.exe" of the affected program, as I described it for Excel (excel.exe). In the right panel of Regedit you will see a Debugger entry if you are affected by the problem and you can delete this Debugger entry.

Got it, thanks a lot for explaining this. 
Cheers!

Hallelujah! APMichael jumped in and saved your hide. I was busy elsewhere, or I'd have told you the same thing.

Click on the .exe of a listed program (in your screenshot) and look for the debugger "bugger" in the right-hand panel.

Wisewiz

21 minutes ago, Wisewiz said:

Hallelujah! APMichael jumped in and saved your hide. I was busy elsewhere, or I'd have told you the same thing.

Click on the .exe of a listed program (in your screenshot) and look for the debugger "bugger" in the right-hand panel.

I went through all those folders, where was not one entry for "bugger". Perhaps because I only use the portable version and have deleted the driver updater and optimizer folders completely from the portable app and just use custom clean?

Here is how my CCleaner looks:

2023-01-09_23h24_04.thumb.png.f3f4a1b041dc881b15d3715358bb5857.png

@Spartan

This (below) is what the bad guys look like. I had to take one out of my Firefox.exe data tonight, when Firefox "couldn't be found" by Windows, and couldn't start. Maybe this is an indication of where they're coming from.

Clipboard01.jpg.d01ccf73c911590316a699a4850fb9cc.jpg

Wisewiz

Just for information:

I briefly had time to do a quick test in a VM. It is really the Performance Optimizer that sets the Debugger entries.

I put Firefox to sleep via the Performance Optimizer and right after that this new registry entry appears:

cc_po_ff.jpg.4a566b94b2a719321121bcf5e54a3c1c.jpg

If you now want to run Firefox, the Debugger entry first runs CCleanerReactivator.exe, which deletes the registry entry to allow Firefox to start. However, if the CCleanerReactivator files are missing, Windows reports that Firefox cannot be found. Then the Debugger entry must be deleted manually to be able to start Firefox again. (Since the portable version does not contain the Performance Optimizer, this should only occur if CCleaner is uninstalled incorrectly.)

Unfortunately, I could not test Office, but the CCleanerReactivator does not seem to work correctly with it, at least that is what the reports suggest. Piriform should take a look at this urgently!

(By the way, Avast has also had this problem:  https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=234759.0)

3 hours ago, APMichael said:

(By the way, Avast has also had this problem:  https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=234759.0)

No surprise there, eh?

Thank you for investigating this problem. I hope the CC team corrects this soon.

Wisewiz

Hi Wisewiz:

Please see the suggestion Novice55 posted today (10-Jan-2023) in their 03-Jan-2023 thread Can't Open Microsoft Programs After Running CCleaner which requires the user to choose the Sleeping Programs tab of Performance Optimizer and click Wake Up for the affected programs that will not launch while CCleaner Pro is installed. That workaround was proposed by CCleaner Customer Support.

I use CCleaner Free Portable v6.07 so I know nothing about Performance Optimizer, but is it possible that Performance Optimizer is adding these "debugger" subkeys in the registry when it places a program to sleep?
-----------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.2364 * Firefox v108.0.2 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2211.5-1.1.19900.2 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.19.229-1.0.1860 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7175 * MS Office Home and Business 2019 Click-to-Run (Version 2211 / Build 15831.20208) * CCleaner Free Portable v6.07.10191
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

• Admin

Hi Wisewiz,

I have spoken to our development team and as has been previously suggested they tell me that these registry entries are connected to the Performance Optimizer tool and allow Performance Optimizer to wake up programs that have been slept.

Deleting these keys will prevent Performance Optimizer from working correctly, if you want these keys not to be present in the registry you can wake the affected programs up using Performance Optimizer.

That all makes sense. Thank you all for your help.

Wisewiz

• 1 month later...
On 10/01/2023 at 16:51, APMichael said:

Just for information:

I briefly had time to do a quick test in a VM. It is really the Performance Optimizer that sets the Debugger entries.

I put Firefox to sleep via the Performance Optimizer and right after that this new registry entry appears:

cc_po_ff.jpg.4a566b94b2a719321121bcf5e54a3c1c.jpg

If you now want to run Firefox, the Debugger entry first runs CCleanerReactivator.exe, which deletes the registry entry to allow Firefox to start. However, if the CCleanerReactivator files are missing, Windows reports that Firefox cannot be found. Then the Debugger entry must be deleted manually to be able to start Firefox again. (Since the portable version does not contain the Performance Optimizer, this should only occur if CCleaner is uninstalled incorrectly.)

Unfortunately, I could not test Office, but the CCleanerReactivator does not seem to work correctly with it, at least that is what the reports suggest. Piriform should take a look at this urgently!

Is it solved?

@CarolPerez

Hi, Carol! Yes, it all seems to be OK and working as stated by APMichael above, but I have neither Avast nor Office on my PCs, so I can't check either of those. Otherwise, if you have a correctly installed version of CCleaner (with Performance Optimizer) and you put a program to sleep with PO, you will find a "Debugger" subkey for that program in your registry, and if you launch that program (the one you put to sleep before), CCleaner will delete the Debugger subkey and allow the program to start.

Best regards,

Wisewiz 😃

Wisewiz

On 21/02/2023 at 21:56, Wisewiz said:

@CarolPerez

Hi, Carol! Yes, it all seems to be OK and working as stated by APMichael above, but I have neither Avast nor Office on my PCs, so I can't check either of those. Otherwise, if you have a correctly installed version of CCleaner (with Performance Optimizer) and you put a program to sleep with PO, you will find a "Debugger" subkey for that program in your registry, and if you launch that program (the one you put to sleep before), CCleaner will delete the Debugger subkey and allow the program to start.

Best regards,

Wisewiz 😃

Ok, thanks. I stumbled into your post when looking for essay samples and came on this website: https://www.topessaywriting.org/samples/culture This website provides numerous outstanding essay samples results on Google to aid me with my essay duties.

Ok, thanks :)

Edited by CarolPerez

• 10 months later...

This has been terrible. I tried to uninstall CCleaner when none of my programs were running.

the "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleanerReactivator.exe" in the debugger section for all my programs was not removed.

I spend over a day finding that the uninstall F*ckUp everything by leaving these debugger sections.

I had bought the pro* license and I was way better off with the free version.