CCleaner 6.06 crashes MS Office & Acrobat Reader

Peter N

After CCleaner automatically installed version 6.06 I found that no MS Office apps would work and Acrobat Reader would not open. Reading on this Forum that uninstalling CCleaner solved the problem for someone else, this is what I did and this solved the problem with MS Office and Acrobat.

I sent off a 'HELP' request to CCleaner support. Before receiving their reply (which was the next day), I installed 'Wise Disk Cleaner' and ran it. 

CCleaner's reply from 'support' suggested the following:

1. Open CCleaner > click Options > Exclude
  2. Click Add > Drive or Folder > Browse
  3. Navigate to: C:\Users\(Windows login name)\AppData\Local\
  4. Click "Temp" folder > click OK
  5. Select "File Types" and type: *.dat
  6. Click OK

I reinstalled CCleaner and found that MS Office apps were now working along with Acrobat Reader so I didn't do the above suggestion.

Perhaps Wise Disk Cleaner did the cleaning , but if you have the same problem then you might want to follow what I did or the suggestion from CCleaner support.

Good luck!

I had the same problem as Peter N. I tried to do the support suggestion but could not find all of the sub-dir's (WIN 10 latest ver)

So I uninstalled CC Pro 6.06, which was auto updated. Installed & ran Wise Disk. Tried Office, and they ran. I did not check Office before running Wise Disk.

Now, I don't know whether to re-install Pro 6.06 or not, because I do not know why it would work on "fresh" install vs an auto update.

I hate to rely on software luck!

Any thoughts?

Hi Dave G:

Do you use an Avira or BullGuard antivirus?  If so, then see @nukecad's 11-Sep-2022 post in B Jones' thread File or Directory Corrupt After Running CCleaner for a possible workaround  There is a known issue where the "Sentry" feature of these  antivirus programs (i.e., the sentryeye.exe engine that is part of the heuristic/behavioural detection) creates a folder at C:\Windows\Temp\sentry_temp .  The executables of several programs can be damaged if CCleaner (or any other disk cleaner, like BleachBit, etc.) cleans that C:\Windows\Temp\sentry_temp folder.  There is a full discussion about this problem in AW7's 31-Jul-2022 thread CCleaner Corrupting Program Files.

If you don't use an Avira or BullGuard antivirus, note that C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Local\Temp is a hidden system folder, so if you want to exclude the cleaning of *.dat files in this folder as CCleaner customer support suggested to Peter N then you will have to unhide it first.  Open Files Explorer, click the View tab, and temporarily enable Hidden Items.

242255703_Win10Prov21H2FileExplorerShowHiddenFilesinAppDataLocalTemp18Nov2022.png.da75c555aa29fe1d4af1f63e5597297f.png

Then launch CCleaner and you should be able to browse to C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Local\Temp and exclude the *.dat files.

1447002152_Cleanerv6_05ExcludeDATFilesinAppDataLocalTemp18Nov2022.png.ada17f330df3d94ffd73741bcb50a9e4.png

-------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.2251 * Firefox v107.0.0 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2210.6-1.1.19800.4 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.17.221-1.0.1806 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7090 * CCleaner Portable v6.05.10110
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

23 hours ago, Dave G said:

...So I uninstalled CC Pro 6.06, which was auto updated. Installed & ran Wise Disk. Tried Office, and they ran. I did not check Office before running Wise Disk....

56 minutes ago, Dave G said:

...I use AVG and am no longer sure of how different it is from AVIRA....

Hi Dave G:

It's difficult to know if running Wise Disk Cleaner had any effect since neither you or Peter N checked to see if MS Office worked correctly after CCleaner was uninstalled (i.e.,  before running Wise Disk Cleaner).

As far as I know AVG doesn't not cause the same issue as Avira and BullGuard, which both include the problematic "Sentry" feature.  However, Avira, BullGuard, Avast and AVG have all been acquired by NortonLifeLock in recent years (see the 25-Oct-2022 MakeUseOf article How Norton's Acquisitions Changed the Antivirus Industry) and NortonLifeLock is currently in the process of migrating all BullGuard customers over to Norton GO (a.k.a. Norton 360 for Gamers) per their support article <here>.

It might be helpful if you could tell us your Windows operating system [if Win 10 or Win 11 please include the edition (e.g., Home, Pro, etc.), version, and OS build number shown at Settings | System | About | Windows Specifications], the full name and version number of your AVG antivirus, and the full name and version number of your Microsoft Office product shown at File | Office Account.
-------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v21H2 build 19044.2251 * Firefox v107.0.0 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2210.6-1.1.19800.4 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.17.221-1.0.1806 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7090 * CCleaner Portable v6.05.10110 * Microsoft Office Home and Business 2019 Version 2210 Build 15726.20202 Click-to-Run
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

• Moderators

I've not heard of AVG having the same issue as Avira/Bullguard.

And TBH I'm not even sure whether it's still an ongoing issue - but you have to treat it as still happening until it's confirmed to have been fixed.

Just on the subject of mergers etc.

https://uk.pcmag.com/security/143718/nortonlifelock-merges-with-avast-to-form-new-company-called-gen

Yes, CCleaner is in that new company name/stock market listing as well.

Maybe in time it will lead to a more integrated approach without occasional clashes between the different apps?

I doubt it - the development teams and managements will be remaining independent at least for a number of years.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Edition            Windows 10 Home

Version            22H2

Installed on      ‎2020-‎07-‎29

OS build          19045.2251

Experience      Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0

AVG

s/w ver 22.10.3258 (build 22.10.7633.752)

virus ver 221120-2

# of def’s 25,717,060

OFFICE

I’m using the most current version of Office 2013 is 15.0.5501.1000, which was released on November 8, 2022.

I also re-installed 6.06 and so far no issues.

Hope that may help.