CCleaner V6.05.10110(64 bit) not able to clear all Cookies data at Google Chrome

Gil Ong

The issue here is the CCleaner not able to wipe clean all cookie data captured in the Google Chrome's "Cookies and other site data" tab.

Normally CCleaner will wipe off "everything" from this data tab without leaving any cookie data there unclean once the run is completed.

Today discovered that's not the case and there are few cookies found remains there even re-run CCleaner multiple time (refer to screenshot attached).

I even try re-installed the older version of CCleaner (v5.90) and re-run the process. Unfortunately the result still showed the same.

Unsure the issue is related to the recent update of Google Chrome (V107.0.5304.107) which caused this glitch. 

It make no sense to use CCleaner if it can't clear all cookies data automatically.

Need a technical assistance to look into this issue to resolve this bug.

unclean cookie data.jpg

check ccleaner's settings to see if you have ccleaner set to save the cookies.

in order to remove cookies, the browser needs to be closed. if the browser is not closed, the cookies cannot be removed.

do you have the browser sync-ed? if so, the cookies could be being restored, automatically.

10 hours ago, redwolfe_98 said:

check ccleaner's settings to see if you have ccleaner set to save the cookies.

in order to remove cookies, the browser needs to be closed. if the browser is not closed, the cookies cannot be removed.

do you have the browser sync-ed? if so, the cookies could be being restored, automatically.

1) CCleaner's setting with "Cookies to keep" column all empty up. Nothing there to keep. 

2) Browser is always close prior running the CCleaner, so it won't be the root cause.

3) Browser sync setting is TURN OFF mode. 

In fact, this is a repeated issue as I had reported before back in 2021 (posted on 13 Dec 2021). With the recent Google Chrome update version together with CCleaner on 24-Oct-2022, which triggered a synchronization issue between two.

Previously CCleaner's team resolved the issue with a fixed release version and since then it never happened until this round. 

• Moderators

Whilst it always possible that there may have been a change in Chrome again......

Your screenshot is not showing any cookies.

That is a list that Chrome keeps of your most frequently visited sites, it's not cookies at all. - Clearing cookies won't affect that list.
https://aboutdevice.com/how-to-check-your-most-visited-sites-on-chrome/

Chrome keeps that list so it can display shortcuts on it's Startup Tab to the sites you visit the most.

I'm not familiar with clearing the various list that Chrome makes but I'd try using Custom Clean to clear the 'Session' for Chrome and see if that removes the list.
NOTE - Clearing the Session for a browser will log you out of any webpages that you are currently logged into on that browser.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

9 hours ago, nukecad said:

Whilst it always possible that there may have been a change in Chrome again......

Your screenshot is not showing any cookies.

That is a list that Chrome keeps of your most frequently visited sites, it's not cookies at all. - Clearing cookies won't affect that list.
https://aboutdevice.com/how-to-check-your-most-visited-sites-on-chrome/

Chrome keeps that list so it can display shortcuts on it's Startup Tab to the sites you visit the most.

I'm not familiar with clearing the various list that Chrome makes but I'd try using Custom Clean to clear the 'Session' for Chrome and see if that removes the list.
NOTE - Clearing the Session for a browser will log you out of any webpages that you are currently logged into on that browser.

Normally when run the CCleaner, it will automatically clear off everything without leaving anything appear on the list even with 0 B.  This is weird and abnormal.

check ccleaner's settings for cleaning chrome. also, check chrome's settings. in chrome's cookie-settings, if you have "always allow" set for some sites, that might be why you are still seeing them. that IS the way that it is on my computer. the only sites that i see, there, are ones that i have set to "always allow," in chrome's cookie-settings.

10 hours ago, redwolfe_98 said:

check ccleaner's settings for cleaning chrome. also, check chrome's settings. in chrome's cookie-settings, if you have "always allow" set for some sites, that might be why you are still seeing them. that IS the way that it is on my computer. the only sites that i see, there, are ones that i have set to "always allow," in chrome's cookie-settings.

As mentioned previously, there aren't any "customized" setting done on both Chrome or CCleaner and this issue only noticed AFTER the update of Chrome & CCleaner recently. 

Below are the screenshots to give a better picture of the setting conditions of both tools.

(1) Google Chrome - Under "Privacy and Security", shown default setting for cookies as "Block 3rd Party Cookies".  

C1.thumb.jpg.c7a82a63a5ec3db86442b9b2c697f4c4.jpg

2) The rest of Cookies setting under same column shown as default "OFF" mode.

C2.thumb.jpg.0aeb6c8b610b5b04a61bc50d10630b66.jpg

3)  Further down of the column shown NO "customized behaviors" added or created.

C3.thumb.jpg.bffd8fa9cc86f41d12530cd5bffc189f.jpg

4)  Under "Sync and Google Services" setting, all options are default as OFF mode.

S1.thumb.jpg.c3cae88ff9541d2d348f4c992c356b21.jpg

5)  For CCleanner - Under "Options" setting, the cookies column shown "Nothing" set for "Cookies to Keep".

CC3.thumb.jpg.9da2061d587393e32fb94dd802f29ba9.jpg

6) Under "Exclude" setting column, shown NOTHING there to be excluded for the run.

CC4.thumb.jpg.499661039803ca085372e15944a4fb7f.jpg

Below screenshots shown how the CCleaner's process of clean-up was performed.

1) CCleaner's status shown after all data removed after the run was completed. It shown 82 files with 200KB of cookies deleted.

CC1.thumb.jpg.376c4d80e717f469d53732f46e54f462.jpg

2) Re-run the process again after previous Step-1 by pressing the "Analyze" button, result shown there is nothing left to be deleted or removed.

CC2.thumb.jpg.a6a8a95da9cbaeec4f78209bb032d31d.jpg

3)  Back to Chrome "Privacy and Security" tab --->  under "See all site data and permissions" column, shown there are records remained and not able to clean up. 

In the past, this column will be "EMPTY" after CCleaner complete the run, but not for this round after the update version.

C4.thumb.jpg.2c7daf8b74359d595e09c6ef12b48f6e.jpg

Hope with this complete screenshots will give a clear picture on how the setting and process result look like here.

Not sure whether this is only happen on my system, or anyone can double confirm this by doing a trial run will be much appreciated.

Hope CCleaner's Support Team will also take a look on this issue and advice what need to be done to solve it.

• Moderators

Again - that is a list of websites that you have visited frequently.

It's a list of websites visited, it is not a list of cookies.

Because it has nothing to do with cookies then Cleaning cookies with CCleaner, (or in Chrome itself), or changing cookie settings in Chrome, will not affect it at all.

You say that CCleaner used to clear that particular list for you previously, fair enough so we need to work out what has now changed for you.

It could be something that you have changed yourself, or something that Chrome has changed. (Or something that CCleaner has changed).

Could you screenshot your Custom Clean ticks/unticks for Chrome please, so that we can see what you have set to be cleaned.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

2 hours ago, nukecad said:

Again - that is a list of websites that you have visited frequently.

It's a list of websites visited, it is not a list of cookies.

Because it has nothing to do with cookies then Cleaning cookies with CCleaner, (or in Chrome itself), or changing cookie settings in Chrome, will not affect it at all.

You say that CCleaner used to clear that particular list for you previously, fair enough so we need to work out what has now changed for you.

It could be something that you have changed yourself, or something that Chrome has changed. (Or something that CCleaner has changed).

Could you screenshot your Custom Clean ticks/unticks for Chrome please, so that we can see what you have set to be cleaned.

SC1.jpg

SC2.jpg

SC3.jpg

SC4.jpg

• Moderators

Thanks.

So with everything ticked for Google Chrome CCleaner still isn't cleaning that 'most visited' list.

As you tried an older CCleaner version and say that didn't clean that list either then it suggests to me that Google may have changed something, and the CCleaner Developers haven't caught up with the change yet.
(or perhaps that CCleaner didn't clear that list in the past anyway?)

It does happen now and again with browsers, both Chrome and Firefox will often change where information is stored with no warning.
So the CCleaner Devs are then one step behind and need to catch up for the the next CCleaner version.
They are usually pretty good at that, but if the change in the browser comes just after a CCleaner version has been released then it's going to be about a month until the next one.

8 minutes ago, nukecad said:

Thanks.

So with everything ticked for Google Chrome CCleaner still isn't cleaning that 'most visited' list.

As you tried an older CCleaner version and say that didn't clean that list either then it suggests to me that Google may have changed something, and the CCleaner Developers haven't caught up with the change yet.
(or perhaps that CCleaner didn't clear that list in the past anyway?)

It does happen now and again with browsers, both Chrome and Firefox will often change where information is stored with no warning.
So the CCleaner Devs are then one step behind and need to catch up for the the next CCleaner version.
They are usually pretty good at that, but if the change in the browser comes just after a CCleaner version has been released then it's going to be about a month until the next one.

I can confirmed the older CCleaner did clear that list in the past.

This issue only noticed after Chrome / CCleaner latest version update. Same issue was highlighted in last Dec 2021 after Chrome update, so as you mentioned that Chrome update did changed something that CCleaner didn't able to pick it up.

Will this case be brought to the CCleaner Developers to address it in the next release?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Gil Ong said:

Will this case be brought to the CCleaner Developers to address it in the next release?

They will/should be aware already of any changes recently made to Chrome's 'most visited websites' list. (or any other changes).

But just in case, - @Dave CCleaner can you confirm that, or add anything?

Guest Andrei CCleaner
20 hours ago, Gil Ong said:

This issue only noticed after Chrome / CCleaner latest version update. Same issue was highlighted in last Dec 2021 after Chrome update, so as you mentioned that Chrome update did changed something that CCleaner didn't able to pick it up.

Hello @Gil Ong. Thank you for the feedback on this matter. Can you please tell us which older version have you used to clear that list successfully in the past so we could also tell our dev team about this ? 

20 minutes ago, Andrei CCleaner said:

Hello @Gil Ong. Thank you for the feedback on this matter. Can you please tell us which older version have you used to clear that list successfully in the past so we could also tell our dev team about this ? 

Thanks for looking into this issue. 

The previous version used is V 5.90.9443 (64-bit).

Guest Andrei CCleaner
11 minutes ago, Gil Ong said:

Thanks for looking into this issue. 

The previous version used is V 5.90.9443 (64-bit).

thank you ! will send this to our team so they could have a look over what went wrong in our latest release

i think that i have figured out what the situation is. you  are looking in chrome's "settings," in "privacy and security"/"cookies and other site data"/"see all site data and permissions."

so, what you are seeing, there, is "site data and permissions." in other words, what you are seeing, on your computer, is a list of websites that you have given special "permissions" to.

the way to remove the websites from the list, there, in "see all site data and permissions," is to delete them from the list, which will remove the special permissions that you have given them. or, there is another option, to "reset" permissions for the websites. maybe resetting permissions for the websites likewise will remove them from the list, if they no longer have any special permissions.

chrome is not tracking your "most visited sites." that is just the way that the view of the list, there, in "see all site data and permissions," is being sorted.

incidentally, in your screenshots, your settings for chrome, in "privacy and security," "cookies and other site data," you do not have "clear cookies and site data when you close all windows" enabled. you could enable that. that should cause all cookies and data in chrome's temp-file-cache to be removed when chrome is closed. in that case, if you want a particular cookie to be saved, you will need to add it to chrome's cookie-settings, to "always allow."

for the record, i currently use firefox as my primary browser, but i used chrome as my primary browser for 6 years, up until september, 2021, something like that, when i switched back to using firefox.

35 minutes ago, redwolfe_98 said:

i think that i have figured out what the situation is. you  are looking in chrome's "settings," in "privacy and security"/"cookies and other site data"/"see all site data and permissions."

so, what you are seeing, there, is "site data and permissions." in other words, what you are seeing, on your computer, is a list of websites that you have given special "permissions" to.

the way to remove the websites from the list, there, in "see all site data and permissions," is to delete them from the list, which will remove the special permissions that you have given them. or, there is another option, to "reset" permissions for the websites. maybe resetting permissions for the websites likewise will remove them from the list, if they no longer have any special permissions.

chrome is not tracking your "most visited sites." that is just the way that the view of the list, there, in "see all site data and permissions," is being sorted.

incidentally, in your screenshots, your settings for chrome, in "privacy and security," "cookies and other site data," you do not have "clear cookies and site data when you close all windows" enabled. you could enable that. that should cause all cookies and data in chrome's temp-file-cache to be removed when chrome is closed. in that case, if you want a particular cookie to be saved, you will need to add it to chrome's cookie-settings, to "always allow."

for the record, i currently use firefox as my primary browser, but i used chrome as my primary browser for 6 years, up until september, 2021, something like that, when i switched back to using firefox.

I didn’t have any “special permissions" set for any website inside my Chrome's setting.

I just tried out what you have suggested to select the "clear cookies and site data when you close all windows" and closed the Chrome window. Result shown the same with those site data still remained there. 

Since CCleaner's team already take this up, I will just wait for the solution in their next release.  Thanks all for the help.

1 hour ago, Gil Ong said:

I didn’t have any “special permissions" set for any website inside my Chrome's setting.

the reason that you are seeing those websites listed in the list of websites that have special permissions is because they have special permissions.

you should be able to remove the settings for the special permissions by deleting them from the list of websites that have special permissions. there also is an option, there, to reset the default permissions for the individual websites that are listed there.

ccleaner has never removed special permissions for websites, in chrome's settings. i would have noticed that, if it did.

ccleaner does have an option for removing "site preferences," in firefox's settings, which, i think, is a bad idea.

9 hours ago, redwolfe_98 said:

ccleaner has never removed special permissions for websites, in chrome's settings. i would have noticed that, if it did.

ccleaner does have an option for removing "site preferences," in firefox's settings, which, i think, is a bad idea.

Both Chrome and Firefox are two different platform and definitely will have different results.

I have tried your method suggested and it does not really work with Chrome. Furthermore, the suggested method is for not using CCleaner to clean those data but for this case, CCleaner is applied and it's work perfectly in the past with a single run and everything was wipe clean (even without turn on the "special permissions").