Updates keep disappearing and reappearing sporadically.

frank0314

I'm having an issue with it saying you need to update drivers that you just updated successfully. The number on the tab will eventually go away after several restarts of Windows but then out of nowhere it will say you have 60 or so updates again and the installers are there to download again. I just did it to me again a few minutes ago. At the beginning of installing drivers for my wife's fresh install of Windows 10 there were 67 drivers that needed done. I installed them all and it told me that my drivers were updated but the number on the driver tab never went away. Eventually a day later I had another 61 drivers that needed updated and they were the ones I just installed the day before so I'm getting really confused at what needs updated and what is a system glitch with the program. ATM they all just came back and I have 85 installed and I now have another 60 that need updated. I just finished the initial batch this morning. I'm not sure how I can have 60 updates on drivers I just installed yesterday and today. I know that the driver updater is new for you guys and for the first time I purchased the pro version to have the updater. I only did it because I've used CCleaner for a better part of 10 yrs and love it so I figured who better to give my money too, lol. Unlike some I'm here to stay and I know you'll get it fixed properly but this is getting really frustrating. It also keeps skipping the same updates every time this behavior happens. I'll install it successfully and then if I run it again it will show up and marked skipped. It would be nice in future updates to have the ability to ignore and not have to restart after every single Intel driver update. I was very painful to have to restart the machine 40+ times in a day. I know it's not necessary unless Windows update is doing them wrong because most of them install at once using Windows update. I'm surprised something hasn't broken yet because of it.

• Moderators

My personal opinion, all driver updaters have the same problems.

Most advanced/techie computer users don't touch them, it's a simple basis of if your current driver is working then why try to fix what isn't broken?
Quite a few of us were surprised when CCleaner introduced a driver updater.

Sometimes a 'newer' driver will not suit your particular machine hardware, and may even stop it working properly.
(You only have to read some of the posts in this Driver Updater sub-forum to see what can happen).

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

I'm only installing the new drivers. I have device manager open checking each update version numbers and release dates and only doing the new ones. For some reason it is saying I have 40'ish updates to drivers that have the newest installed and it wants to put the old driver in. Is there a reason behind that?

The only reason I was doing all the drivers was because it was a fresh install of Windows and one of the Microsoft drivers packets were causing major issues that could only be gotten rid of by a full reinstall for some reason. Not even a Windows repair would fix it. Putting a new or previous driver wasn't working and the problem persisted. Once it happened you couldn't get rid of it, at least at my skill level. ATM doing the drivers from here has made it so the system runs perfect and we can get back to work.

• Moderators

Sometimes the older version of a driver may be the one best suited to your particular hardware.
eg, A newer version may have been tweaked for a different processor, or different graphics card, etc., and the changes made may not quite suit what is in your machine.

(Maybe think of it a bit like unleaded petrol/gasoline - great for modern motors, but will cause problems if you put it in an older one).
(That's not a very good analogy but you get the idea).

How you are supposed to know which driver version is best for your machine appears to be a black art, or at least I've never understood it.

And that's probably why all Driver Updaters are widely regarded as 'risky', they will occasionally make mistakes and give unsuitable drivers.
Even Windows Update can sometimes give you a wrong driver.

Just how CCleaners updater handles that I haven't got a clue, but as with most such updaters there will be mistakes.
There seems to be fewer now than when it first came out, but I for one will not be using it.

TBH I rarely have a problem with any driver and tend to just leave them alone.

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

Usually I don't update them unless I'm having an issue with something but being as we confirmed it was one of the USB drivers that Microsoft was giving that was screwing her whole computer up I figured just go this route and see if these drivers cause any issue which they haven't. IDK if there is a difference in the drivers or not but the ones I installed from here haven't caused the problems the Microsoft ones did every time it was installed, actually the moment it was installed. Thanks for your help.