Side effect of running Make it better after Health Check

Paul444

I have notice that after running the Make it better (to remove trackers) I find using my browser that "Hmmm Can't reach this page" appears when trying to follow links.

it happened last time I used the Health Check and took around 10 days to get sorted, i tried many things to get DNS working properly again. Also effected how I accessed my printer. Any help greatly appreciated; I don't think any of my actions helped the system = Windows 11 = to return to normal.

Guest johnccleaner

That's quite curious, as the Health Check process shouldn't have had any impact like this. The only way I can think of would be if a program was updated via the Software Updater portion (the Security tile) that was not working properly, but even then, that should have likely only affected one task on the computer.

You can try using System Restore to revert the system back to the state it was in prior to this, if there is an available Restore point. You can find out more about doing this here: https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-system-restore-in-windows-2626131

I also saw this article about the DNS issue you reported: https://windowsreport.com/fix-hmm-we-cant-reach-this-page-edge/ - if you're still having trouble with that.

Would you be willing to provide more specific details on the other issues you're experiencing, such as with the printer? The precise wording of any error messages you're receiving, or any details of what you're seeing? 

Hi still having all issues. Focussing on the printing for now, when trying to print from Word my HP Pavilion Laptop is offered my normal printer HP ENVY, it can report as Offline or Ready and then not print and return an Offline Status eg

Type: HP ENVY 5000 series PCL-3 Where: 
http://lfe80::e6e7:49ff:fe8c:b4bd%9]:3911/ 
Comment: 

however, if I use the other printer reference via HP Smart Printing the document will print - it has a Status with Comment 192.168.0.12 which is the printer static IP. 

Both reference the same printer but somehow the normal printer link has been changed.

thanks for the other links to DNS issues, I think I went through them last time I had the problem a few weeks ago, i will try some of them later. Paul

Guest johnccleaner

I wonder if it's not liking the address (http://lfe80::e6e7:49ff:fe8c:b4bd%9]:3911/) for some reason. 

In any event, the simplest way to correct that might be to remove the printer, restart the computer, and then set it back up as if it were a new printer. I believe you can find the drivers and such for doing so here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-5000-all-in-one-printer-series/14095644

(That is, if the System Restore did not take care of matters; if you haven't attempted that, that would be my first suggestion, in the hopes that it fixes all the problems at once.)

Hi still having all issues. Focussing on the printing for now, when trying to print from Word my HP Pavilion Laptop is offered my normal printer HP ENVY, it can report as Offline or Ready and then not print and return an Offline Status eg

Type: HP ENVY 5000 series PCL-3 Where: 
http://lfe80::e6e7:49ff:fe8c:b4bd%9]:3911/ 
Comment: 

however, if I use the other printer reference via HP Smart Printing the document will print - it has a Status with Comment 192.168.0.12 which is the printer static IP. 

Both reference the same printer but somehow the normal printer link has been changed.

thanks for the other links to DNS issues, I think I went through them last time I had the problem a few weeks ago, i will try some of them later. Paul

Hi again - I wasn't convinced that restores - which were not that recent - would work.

both issues seem to be resolved when I moved from automatic DHCS on my laptop to defining the two DNS addresses for IPv4 and not using IPv6. I will leave them there unless other issues emerge. Thanks for your help.   

Hi again - I wasn't convinced that restores - which were not that recent - would work.

both issues seem to be resolved when I moved from automatic DHCS on my laptop to defining the two DNS addresses for IPv4 and not using IPv6. I will leave them there unless other issues emerge. Thanks for your help.   

It worked for 10 minutes but printer offline again! (although it was ok for a couple of prints) and the links from the browser now gives cannot find errors once again - though ok 10 minutes ago!

frustration setting in! Don't know what to try next.

Guest MeganCCleaner

Hi @Paul444 I am curious if you can resolve the problem by specifying the printers IP address, using these steps:

1. In Windows, click Start > type: printers
  2. Open "Printers & scanners"
  3. Click "Add a printer or scanner"
  4. Wait a few moments, then click on the "The printer that I want isn't listed" link that eventually appears
  5. Click "Add a printer using an IP address or hostname" > click Next
  6. From the "Device type" drop-down, select: TCP/IP Device
  7. In the "Hostname or IP address" field, type the printer's static IP: 192.168.0.12
  8. Click Next

Hi

I had already set a static IP for the printer.

4 hours ago, I changed the DNS on my laptop to look at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 instead of 194.168.4.100 and 194.168.8.100 as normal virgin media links, I then restarted the laptop and since then both printer issues and Cannot find Page errors have stopped. However, I will not rejoice too much until a few days have passed!

Thanks for your suggestions, still not sure what has been going on.  If all ok in a few weeks, I may try Ccleaner again and see what happens - at least, at last, I may have found a way of overcoming the situation if it re-emerges. 

Guest MeganCCleaner

Thanks for the updates on this @Paul444 as I am delighted to hear of how using Google's DNS servers have seemingly resolved the issue, and I hope the problem does not resurface after more time has passed as I can imagine how frustrating this type of situation would be.

In any case, please don't hesitate to contact us if you ever have any questions or concerns as we'll always be more than happy to help.

Thanks MeganCCleaner

Unfortunately the problems returned this morning, so had 48hrs ok.

have reset the dns on laptop wifi link and reset router - had to be a hard reset and had to use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 again but maybe i should have done hard reset with alternative dns - at least ok now but i suspect just for another 48hours!