[Solved] Chrome last 8 'History' not being cleaned.

LogicalRon

I did just renew my license for another year and hopefully I will have more success with help issues here than I ever did with Ccleaner support. One thing that I don't understand is Ccleaner is suppose to clean your history when you exit the browser. Using Chrome I can run Ccleaner and close the browser then open it and check the history and there are still about 10 entries. 

I have smart cleaning enabled on close without notice, am I doing something wrong or do Ccleaner really not clean history??

• Moderators

Have a look at this about why some things may come back straight after you have cleaned them:

*** Out of Beer Error ->->-> Recovering Memory ***

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Moderators

Do you have your Chrome browser synced?

CCleaner will clean your machine but if your browser is synced then the browser history will be put back from the cloud by the browser syncing - that's what syncing does.

CCleaner cannot clear your account on the syncing server, for obvious reasons those servers are protected.
Clear the Chrome syncing and turn it off.
It tells you about that if you read all of that post I linked.

Worried about 'Tracking Files'? Worried about why some files come back after cleaning? See this link:
https://community.ccleaner.com/topic/52668-tracking-files/?tab=comments#comment-300043

• Admin

As per the article linked above, and Nukecad's followup note, one can often kind that some trackers, cookies and history entries appear to remain because your browser will create some things when it reopens (eg: from the home page that you just opened) and from syncing from your other devices if you have that switched on.  That there are 10 history items appearing (rather than only one or two, or your entire browsing history) sounds rather a lot like browser syncing is exactly what is happening.

However, if that's not it, then the usual diagnostic questions apply.  Which version of CCleaner, which version of Chrome, which version of Windows?

With regards to your settings:

• Do you indeed have "Enable Smart Cleaning" and "Enable automatic browser cleaning" checked under Options > Smart Cleaning, with an appropriate action selected for Google Chrome?
  • Smart Cleaning uses your settings under Custom Clean.  Do you have "Internet History" checked under Custom Clean > Applications > Google Chrome? 

image.png

I note that you mentioned that you had not received a satisfactory answer for your query from CCleaner customer support.  For quality and training purposes, do you have your ticket reference number so that we can follow this up?

Piriform Homepage - [CCleaner - CCleaner Mac - CCleaner Android - CCleaner Browser - Recuva - Speccy - Kamo] - Product Support

Looking for your licence key, expiry date or download link? Check here first: https://www.ccleaner.com/support/license-lookup
To find out how we protect your privacy - read CCleaner's Data Factsheet.
What's new? Check the latest CCleaner for Windows release notes

I do no sign into any account when on Chrome so I don't have the option to sync. This is done intentionally, I don't need anyone tracking "me".

I do have smart cleaning enabled and in custom Chrome Internet history is checked.

The whole reason I have bought Ccleaner  several years back and kept renewing was so that when I closed a browser the history would be "cleaned" seems that Ccleaner Pro can't do that in Chrome. I tested the same thing in Firefox and the history is not still in history after I close the browser and all the same settings that I use on Chrome are used on Firefox.

I decided to renew again because if it did work as it say it does it is perfect for me. Just hoping others would test Chrome with the latest version of Ccleaner and see if the history is cleaned if you are not loggged into any account so you can't sync. It would be interesting if others have the same problems as I do. maybe I am doing something wrong, maybe someting else is going on.

As far as the support tickets I don't save them, if I am to be 100% honest I don't feel I have ever gotten timely support or helpful. Of course the last few years we have dealt with COVID and everyone is dealing with fewer emplyees so I just assume that the support load s are high and the support people are not high in numbers.

Just wish it worked on chrome

• Moderators

It should be cleaning the history.

If it isn't doing that, and you don't have syncing enabled,  then I'd suggest that the next thing to check is if your Chrome is continuing to run in the background after you close it.
Background running of a browser can prevent things from being cleaned.

Chrome, and Chromium based browsers including MS Edge, will run in the background by default, you have to change the browser settings to tell them not to.

For how to prevent Chrome from running in the background see this: https://www.webnots.com/how-to-stop-google-chrome-from-running-in-background/

10 hours ago, nukecad said:

It should be cleaning the history.

If it isn't doing that, and you don't have syncing enabled,  then I'd suggest that the next thing to check is if your Chrome is continuing to run in the background after you close it.
Background running of a browser can prevent things from being cleaned.

Chrome, and Chromium based browsers including MS Edge, will run in the background by default, you have to change the browser settings to tell them not to.

For how to prevent Chrome from running in the background see this: https://www.webnots.com/how-to-stop-google-chrome-from-running-in-background/

Thanks for the link,  continue running in the background is not ticked on.

I know my browser is not synced, that is by choice I don't sign iinto my Google account for just browseing only for things I have to sign into. The history should clean with ccleaner even in you are not signed into the Google account.

• Moderators

Just to make sure of something here - because you haven't actually said and we have seen it before.

You are ticking the boxes in Custom Clean - but are you then using Custom Clean or are you using Health Check?

Helath Check takes no notice of what you have ticked or unticked for Cusom Clean, Health Check has set cleaning rules.

If you are using Custom Clean then can you tell us what particular history it is that isn't being cleaned?
I'm assuming that it's always the same things and that could give a clue what is happening, or not happening.

6 hours ago, nukecad said:

Just to make sure of something here - because you haven't actually said and we have seen it before.

You are ticking the boxes in Custom Clean - but are you then using Custom Clean or are you using Health Check?

Helath Check takes no notice of what you have ticked or unticked for Cusom Clean, Health Check has set cleaning rules.

If you are using Custom Clean then can you tell us what particular history it is that isn't being cleaned?
I'm assuming that it's always the same things and that could give a clue what is happening, or not happening.

1st of all thank you for your reply.

I will tell you exactly how I have Ccleaner set up in what is not doing.  I will also give you a couple screenshots that will show you my settings.

I have CCleaner Set up with Smart cleaning so that whenever I close any browser that is installed on my system the history should be cleaned.  I never use Internet Explorer or Edge and rarely use Firefox.  I use Chrome close to 100% of the time, with rarely using Firefox.  If I open Firefox and go to the history there is nothing showing everything is grayed out.  However when I go to history on Chrome by clicking on the 3 dots and then clicking on " history" the last 8 or so sites that I visited from last night and this morning show up.

I went to custom clean and ran the cleaner manually it gave me a report, it closed Chrome during the clean and when I opened Chrome again and check history the last 8 sites I visited as I said above show up.  Each new site I go to get that it and I believe one drops off it seems to stay around 8 sites.  They are different each time and not the same that are staying on my history for the sake of privacy I won't say which sites they are or show a screenshot, I hope you understand.  If I was to go to 15 random sites right now Then close chrome when I reopen it 8 of them would be in my history, if I went to another 15 random sites closed chrome then reopened it 8 of those 15 would be in my history.  It seems that chrome saves the last 8 or so sites that  I visit no matter how many times see CCleaner runs or how I run it.  Attached are a couple screenshots of my settings.

Once again thank you for replying and trying to help

0520.jpg

chrome settings.jpg

• Moderators

Thanks,

It's very interesting that it isn't the entire history coming back but just the last eight sites.

It appears that the Chrome history is in fact being cleared from the usual location, but that 'something' is storing a copy of those last eight somewhere else so they are not being cleared.

Just what that 'something' might be, and why just the last 8, is another question.

My first thought is that it may be an add-on or extension that is storing those last 8 somewhere?
There are a number of addons for Chrome that manipulate browsing history, eg.
https://www.makeuseof.com/chrome-extensions-organize-browsing-history/

Do you have anything that might do something like that?
Or maybe a 'reload closed tabs' or similar addon. (I have one of those in Firefox that can restore any of the last 25 closed tabs, it doesn't survive cleaning though).
You could try running Chrome in safe mode which disables all addons and extensions, if the sites you visit while in safe mode aren't saved in those 8 then it would point to an addon/extension.
https://www.minitool.com/news/chrome-safe-mode.html

EDIT- Another thought, are you signed into your Google account when using Chrome?
What activity is that set to keep?

48 minutes ago, nukecad said:

Thanks,

It's very interesting that it isn't the entire history coming back but just the last eight sites.

It appears that the Chrome history is in fact being cleared from the usual location, but that 'something' is storing a copy of those last eight somewhere else so they are not being cleared.

Just what that 'something' might be, and why just the last 8, is another question.

My first thought is that it may be an add-on or extension that is storing those last 8 somewhere?
There are a number of addons for Chrome that manipulate browsing history, eg.
https://www.makeuseof.com/chrome-extensions-organize-browsing-history/

Do you have anything that might do something like that?
Or maybe a 'reload closed tabs' or similar addon. (I have one of those in Firefox that can restore any of the last 25 closed tabs, it doesn't survive cleaning though).
You could try running Chrome in safe mode which disables all addons and extensions, if the sites you visit while in safe mode aren't saved in those 8 then it would point to an addon/extension.
https://www.minitool.com/news/chrome-safe-mode.html

EDIT- Another thought, are you signed into your Google account when using Chrome?
What activity is that set to keep?

Thanks for the detailed reply, this is so weird isn't it? Answers to your questions below.

1. No extensions to view or safe history, I bought CCleaner to delete history every time I close the browser..........lol I'd be a fool to also have a extension to save and view history......  I understand you are just trying to cover all possibilities :)

2. When I use safe mode or "incognito"  no history is saved, I tried 4 or 5 sites and of course when I checked the 3 dots in "incognito" mode there was no history saved. There isn't even a history link in that mode since that is what the mode is for.

3. No as mentioned above I do not sign into any of my Google accounts unless I have to for a reason when just surfing or  visiting a website. I shouldn't have to be logged in for CCleaner to clean history as it is designed to do from my understanding.

Thanks for your detailed reply... hope this gets figured out, it is the sole reason I buy CCleaner, privacy :)

• Moderators
15 hours ago, LogicalRon said:

1. No extensions to view or safe history, .......

2. When I use safe mode or "incognito"  no history is saved, I tried 4 or 5 sites and of course when I checked the 3 dots in "incognito" mode there was no history saved.

I had meant using safe mode and then seeing if that partial bit of saved history was still there afterwards, or if it had changed in any way.

As the partial history is not being saved when you use safe mode then that does tend to point to an app or extension that is keeping those last few histories for some reason.
Even if it's one that you wouldn't expect to be saving history.

To test that further I'd try disabling your addons/extensions one-by-one, a different one each time you use the browser - if the partial history is still saved then re-enable it in your next browser session and disable the next.
It may take a while if you use a lot of extensions. (Maybe do a few at once to narrow them down in groups).
If/when after disabling a certain one that history is no longer being saved then you have found the culprit.

Of course one of the things about Chrome is that it can link with other Google/Alphabet apps, (such as your gmail).
So it's also possible that it may be reading the partial history from one of those.

I shouldn't have to be logged in for CCleaner to clean history as it is designed to do from my understanding.

CCleaner can only clear files from your machine, anything saved in the cloud such as synced data, or data stored by an account, can't be touched by any cleaning app.
It's on a remote server and is protected from outside interference for your security. You can only ever delete such data from within the app/account that created it.

13 hours ago, nukecad said:

I had meant using safe mode and then seeing if that partial bit of saved history was still there afterwards, or if it had changed in any way.

As the partial history is not being saved when you use safe mode then that does tend to point to an app or extension that is keeping those last few histories for some reason.
Even if it's one that you wouldn't expect to be saving history.

To test that further I'd try disabling your addons/extensions one-by-one, a different one each time you use the browser - if the partial history is still saved then re-enable it in your next browser session and disable the next.
It may take a while if you use a lot of extensions. (Maybe do a few at once to narrow them down in groups).
If/when after disabling a certain one that history is no longer being saved then you have found the culprit.

Of course one of the things about Chrome is that it can link with other Google/Alphabet apps, (such as your gmail).
So it's also possible that it may be reading the partial history from one of those.

CCleaner can only clear files from your machine, anything saved in the cloud such as synced data, or data stored by an account, can't be touched by any cleaning app.
It's on a remote server and is protected from outside interference for your security. You can only ever delete such data from within the app/account that created it.

I Googled how ti use Chrome in "safe Mode" since I dindt know how and everything I saw said safe mode and incognito  are the same. See this link

https://wethegeek.com/chrome-safe-mode/

Maybe you can tell me how to use Chrmoe in safe mode that you are telling me to do. I can't find how. Since I original posted this I did as you said with the extensions. I currently have 3. Roboform, Adblocker and Zoom for Chrome. I disabled each one and then all 3 and no matter how I do it the history is still saved the last 8 sites I visited.

When using Chrome I NEVER login so Chrome doesn't know who is using the browser so I don't see how it can be using things like gmail etc. I don't even use Gmail on the web I have Outlook.

I appreciate all the time you have taken trying to figure this out but so far nothing is working. It'd be nice if support from CCleaner would return my support request I sent 3 days ago or even viewed this forum and my post and replied.

It sucks to pay for something to do what it says it can do but then it doesn't do it.

• Moderators

Still trying to figure out just what is going on for you.

Obviously you will be visiting more than just 8 sites (or however many it is, but 8 will do as a number) and those are geting cleaned/cleared, so why are those last 8 remaining?

As it's a different 8 each time then it can't be an exclusion that you have set in CCleaner, so the only explanation I can think of is that the last 8 visited are being stored somewhere else than the usual Chrome history database.

Where they are being stored, and what is storing them there, is what needs to be discovered.

It seems to be something particular to your machine, or to your settings.
Nobody else is reporting anything like this happening. (At least not as yet).

We have seemingly ruled out syncing, addons, and the Google account.
But I would ask: After you had used safe mode and then went back to normal mode what was in the history when you restarted normal mode?
Were there still 8 entries from previously, or had they gone?

Another thought, do you have Windows activity history turned on?
Even if not then just on a hunch - next time you notice this happen close Chrome.
Then open CCleaner to custom clean and and clear the Edge Chromium browser, particularly the history.
Then open Chrome again and see if they are still there.

5 hours ago, hazelnut said:

@LogicalRon

Have you had a read here and tried them on your machine?

https://www.alphr.com/prevent-google-chrome-storing-browser-history/

5 hours ago, hazelnut said:

@LogicalRon

Have you had a read here and tried them on your machine?

https://www.alphr.com/prevent-google-chrome-storing-browser-history/

Not sure why there isa duplicate quote of your post but thanks for your reply.

Been there done that many months ago and it didn't help, tried contacting CCleaner but there have terrible support and it's been days since I contacted them and still waiting for a reply.

5 hours ago, nukecad said:

Still trying to figure out just what is going on for you.

Obviously you will be visiting more than just 8 sites (or however many it is, but 8 will do as a number) and those are geting cleaned/cleared, so why are those last 8 remaining?

As it's a different 8 each time then it can't be an exclusion that you have set in CCleaner, so the only explanation I can think of is that the last 8 visited are being stored somewhere else than the usual Chrome history database.

Where they are being stored, and what is storing them there, is what needs to be discovered.

It seems to be something particular to your machine, or to your settings.
Nobody else is reporting anything like this happening. (At least not as yet).

We have seemingly ruled out syncing, addons, and the Google account.
But I would ask: After you had used safe mode and then went back to normal mode what was in the history when you restarted normal mode?
Were there still 8 entries from previously, or had they gone?

Another thought, do you have Windows activity history turned on?
Even if not then just on a hunch - next time you notice this happen close Chrome.
Then open CCleaner to custom clean and and clear the Edge Chromium browser, particularly the history.
Then open Chrome again and see if they are still there.

I checked Settings>windows activity history and they weere enabled. I disabled them and it gave me a warning about not being able to jump back into windows activities blah,blah,blah.......lol I unchecked save windows history and also send my activity to windows  WTF I never knew that was a thing and glad you told me, it's none of Windows business what I do on my computer.......lol

I was never able to try safe mode, when I search how to put Chrmome in safe mode it said incognite is safe mode. I asked you to tell me how to open Chrome in safe mode in the last reply but you must have missed it. I opened CCleaner and unchecked everything for Edge and I could uncheck everything for Internet Explorer since I have used it in 15 years... I use only Chrome or Firefox. I tried what you said and when I opened Chrome again the last 8 sites and activities were shown in Chomes history. I visited about 15-20 sites to test and only 8 are saved.

Here is what I wonder maybe you can give me your input, if it is something to do with Windows wouldn't it make Firefox do the saem thing? it's only Chrome that does this.

• Moderators

MS sort of sneaked Windows Activity in there by caling it a 'safety/backup' feature, many people aren't aware it's sending their stuff to Microsoft servers.
(Or they are aware that it's stored in 'the cloud' but don't realise just what that means).
I assume that you cleared it from both your machine and from the MS servers before turning it off?
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/view-delete-windows-10-activity-history/

The safe/incognito mode is just a word thing, in Chrome they are the same thing as you say.
Hazelnut's link shows how to control that a bit more in Chrome.

Although Internet Explorer is now defunct some other applications still use it's temporary storage spaces for convinence. (CCleaner itself does).
So I still have 'Temporary Internet Files' and 'Cookies' ticked for it, and they do still clean things from there.

As for the Chrome vs Firefox being affected by this, I'd point out that Edge is Chromium based and so has things in common with Chrome.
So settings/features MS (or anyone else) makes in Windows for Edge might also affect Chrome. (and vice-versa).
Firefox is not Chromium based so wouldn't be affected.

It's still puzzling just what is causing this to happen on your machine, and why just the last 8 although that might be a clue if we could only recognise it.
If they were always the same sites then that would be one thing, it could be something those particular sites were doing, but you say that they change and it's always the last 8 that you visited.
It has to be something else that is saving them and putting them back when you open Chrome, but what and why is still a puzzle.

Is it always the last 8 you visited?
Or are they linked in some way, eg. is it saving say the last 8 shopping  sites, or last 8 gaming sites?

It doesn't look like Adware or Malware, they would tend to always give the same sites, and not ones you have actually visited.
I assume you have already run scans with your usual AV.
You might want to consider giving these a go for a second opinion if you havent already scanned with them, the free versions are fine for scanning:
https://www.malwarebytes.com/
https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner
I scan with Malwarebytes free weekly, sometimes more often depending on what I've been doing, and run AdwCleaner about once a month maybe less.

2 hours ago, nukecad said:

I think I may have found what is going on here, and it seems to be simply a terminology missunderstanding.
The 8 entries was the clue.

Chrome's "Recently Closed Tabs" feature saves the last 8 open tabs.

Is that what you are seeing here - the last 8 tabs that you closed? Does it say 'Recently Closed' just above them? (and History above that).

Recently closed tabs are not the same thing as your browsing history and they won't get cleaned with 'Internet History'.
For example I'll often browse through 20 or more sites all in one tab, those sites are my browsing history not the tab.

In Chrome when you pull out the menu you will see it has History at the top then a line with Recently closed underneath it, because they are different things.

Do this: Open Chrome, do nothing and close it, then open it again and you'll find that the Recently closed tab list will have gone.
That happens because the fisrt time you had it open you didn't close any tabs, so there is nothing in the 'Recently closed tabs' list the second time you open it.

CCleaner doesn't have a seperate option to clean a browsers Recently Closed Tabs on their own, I believe that it's included in "Session" for the browser.

In CCleaner try clearing 'Session' for Chrome.
You can right click on it and clean just the session from the menu that pops up, or you can tick it and run Custon Clean as normal.

NOTE: Clearing the Browser session will log you out of any websites that you are signed into in that browser - so you'll have to log into them again next time you visit them.
If you don't want that then don't clear the session for that browser.

You are a Wizard amd a damn Persistent one at that............lol   That was it !!!!!  I checked sessions in the custom clean/aplications/chrome and ran the clean and when I opened chrome the 8 were gone and it looked like Firefox looks when I check history.  It it just strange that chrome list the last 8 sessions under the history link under the 3 dots and some sessions inmy case most were sites I visited which to me was not cleaning history.

Thank you so much for all the work you put into this to figure it it out.  Now with sessions checked under custom clean will the sessions be cleaned in "smart Cleaning" when I close chrome??

Thanks again for all your help !!!!!!!

• Moderators

No problem, these little things are sometimes puzzling and you want to find the answer even if it isn't affecting you.
And of course we now known what to ask about if someone comes along later with the same/similar issue.

Yes Smart Cleaning uses the Custom Clean rules so anything ticked there should get cleaned.

As I say though not everyone wants to clear the session because of being logged out of websites.
Everyone has got used to always being logged in when browsing on their phones.
(Even I get annoyed if/when I have to log in again to websites on my phone, yet I do it all the time on my laptop, Just shows we can be inconsistent people at times).

PS. I'll change the title of this thead to reflect what the issue was, and that it's been solved.

• nukecad changed the title to [Solved] Chrome last 8 'History' not being cleaned.
3 hours ago, nukecad said:

No problem, these little things are sometimes puzzling and you want to find the answer even if it isn't affecting you.
And of course we now known what to ask about if someone comes along later with the same/similar issue.

Yes Smart Cleaning uses the Custom Clean rules so anything ticked there should get cleaned.

As I say though not everyone wants to clear the session because of being logged out of websites.
Everyone has got used to always being logged in when browsing on their phones.
(Even I get annoyed if/when I have to log in again to websites on my phone, yet I do it all the time on my laptop, Just shows we can be inconsistent people at times).

PS. I'll change the title of this thead to reflect what the issue was, and that it's been solved.

I don't mind being logged out I use RoboForm a password manager so it's just a click on a button and I am logged in. I don't even know any of my passwords.............lol  except my master password for RoboForm. 

Thanks again